|Askar Askarov Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||October 9, 1992|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
Askar Askarov is a Russian professional mixed martial artist and freestyle wrestler who began competing in the flyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), in 2019. As of March of 2021, he was ranked number 2 in the UFC flyweight rankings. Before joining UFC in 2019, he had put together an undefeated winning streak of 11–0 and was unbeaten in nearly 5 years competing on the regional circuit primarily in his native Russia (2013-2014) and then the Absolute Championship Berkut (ACB) (2015-2018). During his stint with the ACB, he had also clinched the ACB Flyweight Championship. As a freestyle wrestler, representing Russia, he had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2017 Samsun Deaflympics in the 61 kg category; and the ‘Bronze’ medal at the 2018 Vladimir World Deaf Championships in the 61 kg category.
Kamysh-Kutan, Akhvakhsky District, Republic of Dagestan, Russia
Khasavyurt, Republic of Dagestan, Russia
Professional Mixed Martial Artist, Freestyle Wrestler
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Russian descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped hair
- Sports a trimmed goatee
Askar Askarov Facts
- He was born deaf and even though his hearing improved as he grew up, he was able to only hear approximately 20% of the sounds that most people could. This has led to a significant disadvantage when he is fighting bouts as he is unable to hear instructions from his team.
- In his professional MMA debut in Russia, in July 2013, he had defeated a debutant by a rear-naked choke in the 2nd round. He had won his next fight, again against a debutant, via a 1st-round TKO. After winning 2 more bouts, he had signed a contract with the Russian promotion Absolute Championship Berkut (ACB).
- In his 4th bout at ACB, during ACB 38, he had won the fight by a rear-naked choke and was awarded a USD 5k for the ‘Submission of the Night’. Thereafter, he had earned the opportunity to fight for the vacant ACB Flyweight Championship. He went on to defeat his opponent by submission in the 5th round of the title bout. He had also earned another bonus of USD 5k for the ‘Fight of the Night’.
- Askar went on to defend this title twice but had to eventually vacate it once he had signed up to fight for UFC. In his UFC debut fight against Brandon Moreno in front of his home fans in Mexico, he was held to a split draw after 3 rounds. As of September 2021, this was the only draw that he had endured in his professional mixed martial arts career having won all 14 of the other bouts that he had fought until then.
- In March 2021, he was scheduled to face Joseph Benavidez at UFC 259. At the weigh-ins, he had weighed in at 127 pounds, which was 1 pound over the flyweight non-title fight limit. Consequently, the bout had proceeded at a catchweight and he was fined 20% of his purse, which went to Joseph. Askar won the fight via unanimous decision.
Featured Image by Askar Askarov / Instagram