|Ben Howard Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||April 24, 1987|
Ben Howard is an English singer, songwriter, and composer. In his teens, he moved to Totnes, Devon, where he had a major part of his life. Ben Howard’s parents were musically-inclined and so they exposed him at a very young age to diverse forms of music. They let him listen to their favorite records from several artists including Bob Dylan, John Martyn, and Nina Simone. He had started singing since he was a very young boy, around 8 years of age, and started playing around with his own songs when he was just 11. He went ahead to study Journalism at Falmouth University after graduating from high school. It was in 2009, at the age of 21, that he decided to become a full-time musician, recording and releasing music. He began from a small point of singing to two or three people in local pubs before the numbers began to increase to several thousands of people.
After few sold out shows and building a reputation with several gigs across the United Kingdom, Ben Howards finally signed with his 1st record company, Island Records, which is known to be involved with several other UK artists. His 1st album sold in excess of 1 million copies and even received a Mercury Music Prize nomination, although he didn’t win the award. His album was a catalyst for him winning 2 Brit Awards in 2013 for “British Breakthrough” and “British Solo Male Artist.” Ben performed at the 2013 Glastonbury Festival on the Pyramid Stage on Saturday, June 29, 2013. In 2017, he was an active member of the band ‘A Blaze of Feather’ which also had members such as India Bourne, Mickey Smith, Nat Wason, Rich Thomas, and Kyle Keegan. Ben has also performed with other top artists including Willy Mason. He plays several instruments but chose to focus on his guitar.
Benjamin John Howard
Richmond, London, England, United Kingdom
Ben Howard attended King Edward VI Community College in Totnes, Devon, England and Torquay Boys’ Grammar School in Torquay, Devon, England. He then moved on to and graduated from University College Falmouth in Falmouth, Cornwall, England.
Songwriter, Musician, Composer
Ben Howard is represented by Owain Davies (Manager), Tynemouth, England, United Kingdom.
Folk, Indie folk, Ambient, Experimental rock, Alternative rock, Rock
Vocals, Guitar, Percussion
- Island Records, United Kingdom
- Communion Records, United Kingdom
- Tot ou tard Records, France
- Republic Records, United States
- Hell Up Records, United Kingdom
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ben Howard has dated –
- Agatha Lintott – Agatha Lintott is the founder of an online fashion boutique known as ‘Antibad’. The period in which they started dating is unknown but in 2014, they were seen together in a Boarding house where they spent the night with the children living there. Ben Howard played and sang for them. Antibad did a collaboration with Ben Howard clothing line in 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of British descent.
- Sharp chin
- Short Caesar hairstyle
- Straight hair
- Long thin nose
- Casual dressing
Ben Howard has done endorsement work for brands such as –
- Ben Howard clothing line
- Common Projects
Best Known For
- His unique left-handed guitar style which he got from the contemporary songwriter and guitarist, John Smith
- Receiving 2 BRIT Awards in 2013 as the “British Breakthrough Act” and “British Solo Male Artist”
Ben Howard’s debut album was released in 2011 entitled Every Kingdom. It was recorded and released by Island Records.
First TV Show
Ben Howard made is first TV show appearance as Himself on the talk show Late Show with David Letterman in 2012.
Ben Howard Favorite Things
- Activity – Singing, Songwriting
- Color – Gray
Source – Wikipedia
Ben Howard Facts
- He is friends with Ed Sheeran but people have considered him an alternative to Ed. They both play guitars and sing similar songs sometimes, but Ed is the artist that has gotten everywhere on a global scale, from every radio station to stadiums, and even appearing on Game of Thrones. Ben doesn’t like fame and doesn’t want all the things associated with being a celebrity, but somehow, he has become the next best thing after Ed Sheeran. The people call him ‘Anti-Ed Sheeran’.
- He met his manager, Owain in Cornwall when they were in the University of Falmouth. They met at the beach and surfed together and then Owain went to see one of his gigs at a pub and liked him right away. They started working together and Owain handled so many things including his PR, building him up through the surf world. Owain went from playing for 2 to 3 people to singing for up to 15,000 people. His manager finally got recognized with an award for all his hard work.
- Ben Howard released his first extended play (EP) Games in the Dark in 2008.
- While Ben was younger, he had a strong interest in music and learned how to play the guitar so he could put words together and sing to the tunes. Asides from playing the guitar, he also learned to play the drums and contrabass.
- He rarely dresses in anything outside his casual wears which almost always has the gray color.
- He is usually misunderstood by music lovers. They consider him the usual pop-folk singer/songwriter but he has tried to make them understand that he isn’t one of them by releasing great music that is out of the norms.
- Ben Howard is the only child of music-inclined parents.
- Ben plays the guitar with his left hand and uses alternative tunings complemented with a partial capo for many songs such as Further Away, Everything, and End of the Affair. He also uses a unique strumming style known as the ‘pick and go’. He lays the guitar flat on top of his knees and plays it percussively in the same way the guitarist John Smith does it.
Featured Image by Ben Howard / Instagram