|Ben Stokes Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||June 4, 1991|
Ben Stokes is an English cricketer, author, and TV personality, best known for being a part of the England national cricket squad starting in 2011. He also gained worldwide prominence when he contributed to England’s victory in the 2019 Cricket World Cup.
Benjamin Andrew Stokes
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Durham, England, United Kingdom
Ben attended Cockermouth School in Cockermouth, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom.
Professional Cricketer, TV Personality, Author
- Father – Gerard “Ged” Stokes (Rugby League Player, Rugby Coach)
- Mother – Deborah Stokes
- Siblings – He has brothers.
Ben Stokes is represented by –
- Neil Fairbrother (Talent Agent) in England, United Kingdom
- Phoenix Management Group Ltd. (Manager) in Knutsford, Cheshire, England, United Kingdom
- 38 – Durham, Melbourne Renegades
- 55 – England, Rising Pune Supergiant, Rajasthan Royals
- 59 – England
6 ft or 183 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ben Stokes has dated –
- Clare Ratcliffe (2013-Present) – In 2013, he got engaged to Clare. In October 2012, she gave birth to their 1st child, a son named Layton Andrew Arthur, and in February 2015, to their 2nd child, a daughter named Libby Sophia Mae. 2 years later, in October 2017, Ben and Clare got married in East Brent, Somerset, England, United Kingdom.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Māori descent.
Ben Stokes has endorsed brands such as –
- 11 Degrees
- GM Cricket
- Red Bull UK
Ben Stokes Facts
- He moved from New Zealand to Cumbria, England, at the age of 12. He was not excited about the change at all and on the 1st day of school, schoolkids teased him for his “kiwi” accent, so he dropped it quickly.
- His dad has had one of his fingers amputated.
- Ben initially wanted to play rugby, following in his dad’s footsteps. At the age of 15, he opted for cricket.
- Ben began his cricket career in 2009 when he signed a 2-year contract with Durham after training at the Durham Cricket Academy for a while.
- It was repeatedly stated that while playing for England, scoring a century against India at the 2010 Under-19 World Cup opened doors for his entry into first-class cricket.
- He used to be extremely nervous in the early days of his cricket career and would vomit before a game started.
- Ben broke his hand punching a locker after the final match of England’s tour of the Caribbean in 2014.
- He has multiple tattoos, some of which are Māori tribals.
- Ben tarnished his reputation in September 2017. After he celebrated an ODI victory in Bristol, he and his teammate Alex Hales got into a fist-fight with 2 people outside a bar. He lost New Balance’s sponsorship, missed a few important cricket games, and lost England vice-captaincy.
- In mid-2019, Ben and his mom hired the same barrister that defended Meghan Markle and Prince Harry against newspapers’ claims. They accused The Sun magazine of reporting on a story that took place 31 years ago when his mom’s ex-husband killed their 2 children and then himself.
- As of 2019, Ben held the record for the most runs in the first (morning) session of a day in Tests with 130 runs and the most runs in a Test inning while at the 6th position with 258 runs.
- On November 14, 2019, Ben released his debut book, On Fire: My Story of England’s Summer to Remember.
- Despite being one of the most high-profile sportsmen in England, he keeps a low-profile in real life. When picking up his kids from school, he avoids small talk and just stands in the corner waiting.
- As of December 2019, Ben held the record for the fastest ever Test match 250, fastest ever Test double-century, and having the highest ever score for a batsman batting at 6th position in a Test match.
- He was an overwhelming favorite to win a BBC Award for “Sports Personality of the Year” in 2019.
- Ben Stokes broke his finger in the first match of Rajasthan Royals (against Punjab Kings) of IPL 2021 and hence was ruled out of the rest of the IPL.
- In July 2021, Ben announced his indefinite break from cricket to focus on his mental health.
- In July 2022, Ben Stokes announced his retirement from ODI cricket as he was finding it hard to focus on all the 3 types of formats of cricket simultaneously. Overall, he gave 11 years to ODI cricket.
- Ben’s last ODI cricket match while playing for England was against South Africa on July 19, 2022.
- In December 2022, during IPL 2023 auction, Ben was purchased by Chennai Super Kings for INR 16.25 crore (or INR 162.5 million). His base price was INR 2 crore (or INR 20 million).
- In March 2023, Ben’s clothes bag was robbed from him from King’s Cross train station in London. He revealed this information on his Twitter account.
Featured Image by Dan Heap / Flickr / CC BY-2.0