Guavas are one of the most delicious and nutritious fruits you will find. This tropical fruit is originated in Central America. The fruits have edible seeds which are also nutritious. Interestingly, guava leaves are used as herbal tea. So, every part of the fruit is actually nutritious and healthy.
Guavas have tangy and sweet flavor according to the ripening stage they are at. The flesh can be white, pink or even maroon depending on the type of guavas. They are amazingly rich in vitamin C, antioxidants, fiber and potassium. You can eat fresh guava as a mid-day snack or drink guava juice every morning. You can also make jam from it as well and spread it on your bread every morning. Whichever way you choose to eat it, you must include it in your daily diet as it provides a lot of health benefits.
1. Controlling Type 2 Diabetes
Guava is helpful in treating type 2 diabetes. It can prevent spikes in blood sugar and improve type 2 diabetes conditions. If you drink guava leaf tea, it can improve insulin resistance and decrease the blood sugar levels by reducing the Alpha-glucosidase enzyme activity and preventing the absorption of maltose and sucrose. Guava contains a high amount of dietary fiber and low Glycaemic index that can regulate the blood glucose levels in the body. Besides keeping blood sugar levels in check, guava can prevent constipation, which is a common problem faced by people who suffer from diabetes.
2. Improves Digestion
Proper absorption of nutrients and regular excretion of toxins and waste are required for the body to stay healthy. Eating guava can improve digestion and heal diarrhea, dysentery, gastroenteritis and other complications. Guava provides the following benefits and aids proper digestion:
- Guava keeps the intestinal lining healthy which helps in proper digestion.
- It contains astringents that have anti-bacterial and disinfectant properties that help to remove the extra mucus from the intestines and inhibit the microbial growth.
- It also contains potassium, vitamin C and carotenoids that strengthen the digestive system and disinfects it.
- As guava contains 12% of the recommended daily intake of fiber, it is very beneficial for digestive health.
- Its seeds are excellent laxatives that help in the formation of healthy bowel movements.
- It helps to retain the water in the body and keep the intestinal tract in the best condition for proper digestion.
- Guava leaf extract is antimicrobial that neutralizes the harmful microbes in the gut that may cause diarrhea.
- It helps digestive processes by stimulating the production of digestive enzyme.
- It can treat conditions like vomiting, nausea, food poisoning, etc.
- Dietary fiber in guava bulks up the stool and so you can get relief from diarrhea.
Proper digestion ensures a healthy body, so guava can play an important role in keeping you healthy.
3. Boosts Heart Health
Guavas are nutritious and they help to boost heart health in various ways. The vitamins and minerals present in guavas help to keep your heart healthy.
- Guava contains a high amount of antioxidants and vitamins that help to protect the heart from damage caused by free radicals.
- It contains a high level of potassium and soluble fiber that promotes a healthy heart.
- Guava leaf extract can lower blood pressure and increase the ‘good’ HDL cholesterol and reduce the ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol.
- Its leaves contain Polysaccharides that act as antioxidants and helps to fight oxidative stress.
- Drinking tea made from guava leaves can prevent Atherosclerosis.
- It improves the sodium and potassium balance of the body and so helps to regulate blood pressure.
- As it is rich in dietary fiber, it keeps the arteries and blood vessels clean, and thereby, promote a moderate blood flow required for preventing excessive blood flow into the heart.
- It regulates adequate blood flow throughout the body.
So, for a healthy heart, you should include guava in your regular diet. You can eat it raw or drink tea made from the guava leaves for improving your heart health.
4. Aids in Weight Loss
Guava is a filling and low-calorie snack. It is packed with vitamins and minerals that help to lose weight. Guava leaf helps to prevent the complex sugars from getting converted to fat in the body. So, you can make juice from guava leaves and drink it to lose weight. By eating a guava, you will be able to lose weight without compromising your protein, minerals or vitamins intakes. You will get the right energy boost and fill full for a long time. Guava has less sugar compared to grapes, apples, oranges, and other fruits, making it perfect for losing weight.
5. Reduces Risk of Cancer
Guava leaf extract has an anti-cancer effect and eating guava can help to reduce the risk of cancer in many ways.
- Guava contains a high amount of powerful antioxidants that prevent free radicals from damaging cells.
- It contains vitamin C, Lycopene, Quercetin, and Polyphenols that act as anti-cancer agents. They work together to neutralize the free radicals that can cause cancer.
- It is very effective in aiding the treatment of breast and prostate cancers.
- It contains antioxidants and fiber that can prevent colon cancer and hemorrhoids.
Guava leaf compounds act like the selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) that are used by the doctors to treat cancer.
6. Helps to Boost Immunity
If your body has vitamin C deficiency, then it can increase the risk of infections and illness. Guavas are the richest sources of vitamin C, so it can protect you from infections and other illnesses. You should know that one guava provides double the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for vitamin C, which is twice the amount you will get in orange.
- Guava can help kill bad bacteria and viruses that can lead to various infections.
- Vitamin C in guava helps to boost immunity and protect the body from common infections and pathogens.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties that help to inhibit the inflammatory molecules, like Prostaglandins, that help to prevent disease.
- It can prevent serious diseases like cancer, arthritis, heart disease, etc.
- Drinking guava leaf tea can help you to get relief from the flu.
If you are having a cold or cough, you should simply grab guava and you will soon feel better. It will help to get rid of the mucus and disinfect the respiratory tract, lungs, and throat. Vitamin C usually gets flushed out of the body quickly, so you need to eat guava regularly to get a continuous supply of vitamin C in the body.
7. Good for the Skin
Guava is packed with various antioxidants and vitamins that work wonders for the skin. Here are some skin benefits you can get from guava:
- Guava helps to protect the skin from damage and slow down the aging process.
- It can help to treat acne, wrinkles, and other skin problems.
- Vitamin C in guava can aid the production of collagen that keeps your skin firm and elastic.
- It contains various astringents that can help to prevent various skin problems.
- It has detoxifying properties that can keep your skin glowing.
- It acts as a powerful astringent that protect the skin from the effects of harmful UV rays.
If you drink guava tea every day, it will prevent premature aging and reduce the chances of dry or saggy skin, wrinkles, etc. You can also put on a guava face mask to get a tightening and firming effect.
8. Improves Eyesight
Guava contains vitamin A and therefore, is very good for the eyes. It can protect the eyes from various diseases.
- It can help to prevent degradation of eyesight and improve eyesight as well.
- It can slow down macular degenerations and the appearance of cataracts.
- It can protect the retina from damaging effects of free radicals.
So, besides carrots, you should also eat guava to improve your eyesight. You will be able to prevent a lot of eye-related diseases by eating guava regularly.
9. Good for Thyroid Health
Guavas can help to keep the thyroid in good condition. It helps the body to maintain a healthy metabolic rate and improves thyroid health. Deficiency of copper can cause thyroid hyperfunctions. Guava is rich in copper and helps to prevent such condition. It controls hormone production and absorption as well and improves thyroid health.
10. Helps to Relieve Stress
Guava contains magnesium that helps to relax the nerves and muscles of the body and keep your mind calm.
- It is a good energy booster and can combat stress.
- It contains vitamin B3 and B6 that help to improve the blood circulation in the brain and relax the nerves.
So, if you eat guava after a workout or after coming from the office, then it will make you feel relaxed.
Guava is loaded with fiber and is an excellent addition to your diet. Daily consumption of guava can help to control diabetes, ensure proper digestion, reduce weight, boost immunity and provide other health benefits. It is a low-calorie fruit that makes it an ideal snack. You should consume it regularly to get better health.