There is nothing like visiting a strawberry field and picking up fresh strawberries. These beautiful looking fruits are sweet, slightly tart and juicy. It was first cultivated in ancient France and now is one of the most popular fruits in the world. Though they primarily grow in the cooler temperate zones, now they are grown in many other parts of the world as well. You will be surprised to know that more than 600 varieties of strawberries are grown in different parts of the world.
Strawberries are full of vitamin C, antioxidants, fiber, and other nutrients. They provide a lot of health and wellness benefits. Here are some benefits of eating strawberries:
1. Protects the Heart
Strawberry contains Polyphenols and antioxidants that are extremely good for the heart. It protects the heart in many ways.
- Strawberry contains Anthocyanins that protect the lining of the circulatory system. This protects the arteries from the build-up of plaque and thus helps to regulate the blood pressure. It also relaxes the blood vessels, and thus lowers the blood pressure and prevents cardiovascular problems.
- It contains potassium that helps to control the blood pressure and so reduces the chance of heart diseases.
- It has Pectin, Ellagic acid, and Flavanoids that helps to lower the bad cholesterol in the body and thereby reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- The antioxidants in strawberries can give protection against stroke by stopping blood clots to form.
- It helps to lower the Homocysteine levels that can damage the inner lining of the arteries.
- Anthocyanins and Phytonutrients in strawberries lower the chances of heart attacks.
Strawberries contain heart-healthy nutrients. So, you must include strawberries in your regular diet to reduce the chance of heart disease.
2. Regulates Blood Sugar Levels
Strawberries can help to control your blood sugar levels. So, people who are suffering from type 2 diabetes can benefit from consuming strawberries.
- Ellagic acid in strawberries helps to slow down the digestion of starchy food and so prevents the blood sugar level to rise after a starchy meal.
- It has a low Glycemic index and so won’t cause sharp sugar spikes.
- It is rich in fiber which helps to regulate the blood sugar levels.
By including strawberries as part of a balanced diet, you can reduce the symptoms of type 2 diabetes. It can also lower the complications of diabetes like neuropathy or kidney disease.
3. Helps Fight Cancer
Strawberry contains a number of cancer-fighting nutrients. You can lower the risk of certain cancers by consuming strawberry regularly.
- Vitamin C and fiber in strawberries can give protection from colon and esophagus cancer.
- It contains Ellagic acid that prevents skin cancer, breast cancer, and lung cancer by slowing down the production of cancer cells.
- Flavonoids help to fight oxidative stress that can lead to cancer.
- Folate, Quercetin, Anthocyanins, and Kaempferol found in strawberries can defend cancer and tumor growth.
By including strawberries in your regular diet, you can ward off cancer. So, there is absolutely no excuse to skip this superfood from your everyday diet.
4. Boosts Immunity
Do you know that strawberries contain more vitamin C than an orange? You should include it in your regular diet to boost your immunity.
- Strawberries are rich in vitamin C that triggers immune-boosting antibodies. So, the body can fight infections such as common cold, asthma or allergies more.
- It also acts as an antioxidant and prevents damage of healthy DNA by neutralizing free radicals.
- Fisetin in strawberries helps the immune system to control the inflammatory reactions to allergens.
If you suffer from common cold or any type of allergy, eating strawberries can ease the condition fast. You should eat a handful of strawberries regularly to boost your immune system.
5. Improves Brain Health
Strawberries are rich in antioxidants that provide helps to improve the brain function by protecting it from damages caused by free radicals in the body.
- Strawberries change how the neurons in the brain communicate and so improve brain health.
- Flavonoids found in strawberries can slow down memory decline in older women.
- Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s diseases are caused by a particular toxic protein. Strawberries help to reduce the accumulation of this toxic protein and so lower the chance of such diseases.
- It is good for the mental and emotional functioning of the body. As it contains omega-3 fatty acid and Alpha-linolenic acid, it helps to improve mood.
- Potassium in strawberries increase the blood flow to the brain and so improves the cognitive function.
- It is a good source of iodine that is needed for the proper functioning of the nervous system and the brain.
As we grow old, our brain functions start to decline and we become susceptible to various diseases like dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, etc. Strawberries can protect us from such diseases.
6. Fights Inflammation
If you consume strawberry regularly, it will fight inflammation. It contains Quercetin that reduces Atherosclerosis plaque formation and reduces the chance of inflammation.
- Vitamin C in strawberries also helps to prevent inflammation.
- The antioxidants in strawberries detoxify the body and reduce inflammation of the joints.
- It reduces the increased blood levels of C-reactive protein that increases inflammation.
- It contains Bioflavonoids that can reduce the frequency of asthmatic attacks.
The antioxidants and phytochemicals that are found in strawberries can prevent arthritis. The anti-inflammatory properties of strawberries also relieve allergy-related symptoms like watery eyes, runny nose, etc.
7. Improves Vision Health
Strawberries are rich in antioxidants that can prevent a number of eye complications such as cataract, macular degeneration, dry eyes, vision defects, etc.
- Vitamin C in strawberries can improve the life of the retinal cells and cornea. It can also protect the eyes from the harmful UV rays of the sun.
- Flavonoids, Phenolic phytochemicals and Ellagic acid in strawberries can trap free radicals and prevent damage to the healthy ocular structures.
- Potassium in strawberries helps to regulate ocular pressure.
- The antioxidant properties in strawberries help to prevent cataracts that can lead to blindness as you grow old.
It is very important to protect your eyes from age-related diseases and other harmful effects. By consuming strawberry regularly, you will be able to protect your eyesight and prevent various eye-related diseases.
8. Helps to Lose Weight
Strawberries are ideal for losing weight and consequently, can be helpful in preventing or controlling type 2 diabetes.
- Strawberries contain Ellagic acid and antioxidants that help to lose weight.
- Chronic inflammation is one of the major causes of weight gain and strawberries have anti-inflammatory properties, so they help to lose weight.
- It contains Anthocyanins that increases the production of the hormone Adiponectin. This hormone helps to suppress appetite, increase metabolism and burn fat.
- As it is rich in fiber, it can control your cravings and so you will take in low calories.
Strawberries contain less sugar than apples, grapes, oranges and bananas, and so is a very healthy fruit to eat. You can drink strawberry lemonade water every day to help burn your fat as well.
9. Improves Bone and Dental Health
Strawberries contain potassium, vitamin K and manganese that improve bone health. It can prevent osteoarthritis and other bone and teeth problems.
- The free radicals in the body cause deterioration of the tissues and muscles of the body for which the joints can’t function properly and cause arthritis. Strawberries can prevent the damage caused by free radicals and improve your bone health.
- Malic acid in strawberry acts as an astringent and helps to remove tooth discoloration.
- You can get whiter teeth by making a paste of strawberry pulp and baking soda and apply it on your teeth using a toothbrush.
Strawberry is beneficial for both bones and teeth. You can have a strawberry smoothie as breakfast or have a handful of strawberries as a snack and make your bones and teeth stronger.
10. Good for Skin and Hair
Daily consumption of strawberry can improve your skin and hair. You will be surprised to know the endless benefits it provides for the health of your skin and hair.
- Strawberries have astringent properties that can treat puffy eyes.
- Alpha hydroxyl acid in strawberries gets rid of dead skin cells and helps to make the skin look younger and smoother.
- It contains powerful antioxidants, like Lycopene and Anthocyanins, that protect the body from oxidative damage and helps to fade away the signs of aging.
- Vitamin C in strawberries fights the free radicals and improves the skin.
- It contains Ellagic acid and Salicylic acid that helps to reduce dark spots and hyperpigmentation. They also remove the dead cells from skin and prevent acne breakouts.
- It contains vitamin C that produces collagen needed for healthy skin. It can also fight the development of skin cancer.
- Vitamin C in strawberries increases iron absorption in the body and promotes hair growth.
- It can also prevent split ends and dandruff.
- Silica in strawberries can prevent baldness and help hair to grow.
Apart from eating strawberries, you can also make a paste of strawberry and honey and apply it on the face as a face mask. It will improve your skin tone and complexion. You can put on strawberry hair mask made of strawberry, coconut oil, and honey, to get rid of hair problems.
You should choose medium-sized strawberries that are firm, plump and deep red in color. You can consume it in great amounts as fruit and add it to various foods like milkshakes, juicers, ice creams, etc. It is rich in antioxidants and can prevent a number of health conditions. You should have a constant serving of strawberries every day to prevent various ailments.