|Billy Joe Saunders Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||August 30, 1989|
Billy Joe Saunders is a British professional boxer who has held world championships in 2 weight classes – the WBO (World Boxing Organization) middleweight title (2015-2018) and the WBO super-middleweight title (2019-May 2021), the first boxer from the British Romanichal community to do so. At the regional level, he had held the European, British, and Commonwealth middleweight titles between 2012 and 2015. At the amateur tier, representing England, in the welterweight division, he had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2007 Liverpool Commonwealth Championships, the 2007 Warsaw European Union Amateur Junior Boxing Championships, the 2008 Bulgaria Strandzha Cup, and the 2008 Cetniewo European Union Amateur Boxing Championships. He had also represented Great Britain at the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics, as an amateur, reaching the 2nd round in the welterweight division.
Billy Joe Saunders
Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
- Father – Tommy Saunders
- Siblings – Tom Saunders Jr. (Brother)
- Others – Absolom Beeney (Great Grandfather) (Bare-Knuckle Boxer)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Billy has dated –
- Ruby – Through his past relationship with his long-time girlfriend named Ruby, Billy has 2 sons named Steve Saunders and Billy Joe Saunders Jr.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of British Romanichal descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a rugged beard
Billy Joe Saunders Facts
- At the amateur tier, Billy had created a record by winning all of his first 49 fights including the 2007 Commonwealth Championships and the 2008 Strandzha Cup.
- In 2008, he had become the first person from the British Romanichal community to qualify for the Summer Olympics. He was just 18 years old at that time.
- The same year, he had been suspended for a while for alleged ‘lewd behavior’ with a local woman during a pre-season training camp in France.
- In December 2015, he and Andy Lee had made history by competing in the first world title fight between two members of the British Romanichal community.
- In September 2018, he was caught on camera pretending to be a local cop and forcing a man to strip naked in his car. The video had revealed that he had accused the man of carrying an illegal weapon.
- The same month, another video was released where he was sitting in his car and offering a drug addict £150 worth of crack cocaine to either perform a s*x act or punch a passer-by. The addict, a female, later punched a man and Billy immediately fled the scene. Another video of him had also surfaced around the same time where he was calling another woman a pr*stitute. The General Secretary of the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) had subsequently found him guilty of bringing the sport into disrepute, had issued him a severe reprimand, and had fined him £100,000.
- In March 2020, he had made a phone call to Delta Airlines claiming that 3 boxers on a flight were infected with COVID-19. The boxers were evicted from the flight. It was later revealed that he had lied to the airline staff.
Featured Image by Billy Joe Saunders / Instagram