|BlocBoy JB Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||May 19, 1996|
BlocBoy JB is a rapper and songwriter from the United States. He is best known for his song “Look Alive” in which rapper Drake was featured. In 2018, that song reached #5 on Billboard Hot 100 chart. He is also known for his Shoot dance steps which got a nomination for Kid’s Choice Award in the category of favorite dance trend 2018.
Bloc, BlocBoy JB
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
- Memphis, Tennessee, United States
- Eventually intends to move to California with his entire family
James hardly ever attended school and often skipped his classes to gamble.
His teachers frequently threw him out of the class and warned him of being a failure. However, the rapper always felt that he was too smart for conventional education.
He was expelled from his public school when he was in the 10th grade.
The rapper did not care to pursue further education, thereafter.
- Father – James Baker (Convicted criminal serving a 25-year prison sentence)
- Mother – Unknown (Formerly worked at a Nike factory)
- Siblings – Has 6 other siblings, James is the third youngest of 7 children
Jason Smith, JS Management
6 ft or 183 cm
67 kg or 148 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
At the age of 19, he had a son with a woman of unknown identity. The rapper is not in a relationship with the mother of his child anymore.
Race / Ethnicity
He is African American.
- Wears gold teeth grills
- Pierced ears
- Very thin, lanky build
- Tattooed chest, biceps, and forearms
- Known to get the initials ‘JB’ shaved at the back of his head
He has not endorsed any brand.
His religious beliefs are not confirmed.
Best Known For
- His singles, Shoot (2017) and Rover (2018) that went viral on YouTube
- These songs caught the eye of rapper Drake and he reached out to James for collaboration. BlocBoy JB’s Look Alive featuring Drake peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2018.
- Hence, James became the first rapper in 2 decades to debut straight in the top 10 with no prior Hot 100 presence to speak of.
As a Singer
BlocBoy JB independently released a mixtape called Who Am I in June 2016 available through digital download.
BlocBoy has never been cast in a feature film until now.
First TV Show
BlocBoy JB has not acted on a TV show yet.
- In his early teens, James was extremely chubby, hence everybody called him Fat Boy instead of addressing him by his name.
- A hyperactive and restless adolescent period marred with constant fighting and running from the police made James lose all his excess fat and by the time he hit his 20s, he turned extremely thin.
BlocBoy JB Favorite Things
BlocBoy JB Facts
- James is extremely close to his music producer Tay Keith. He met him at the age of 14 when he, along with his family, moved to Raleigh, a neighborhood in North Memphis.
- One day, as James was walking by Tay’s house around the corner, he saw that his shed was open where he had studio equipment to work on. Immediately, James walked in to take a look and make inquiries. The rapper added that he was so young that everybody was friendly towards him and did not misinterpret his curiosity as an intrusion.
- He christened himself BlocBoy JB because the neighborhood block was his perpetual hangout. He added his father’s initials (JB) to his rapper identity to make him feel proud when he came out of jail.
- When James was 12, his father broke out of prison to visit him and the rest of the family members for a few days only to get arrested again. After the second attempt at escape, JB’s father’s prison security was increased to the maximum and James was not allowed to meet him.
- From the age of 14 to 19, James was a member of the local Peda Roll Mafia further affiliated to the Los Angeles based gang Grape Street Watts Crips.
- In 2012, the rapper spent a month in prison followed by a period of house arrest for committing a home invasion. James felt that he was wrongly convicted by the police.
- The rapper gradually started withdrawing from a life of crime as he started borrowing music from Tay to record his rap on to it. Even though his first few songs were very raw, he would sit in the closet of his house to rap and record himself as frequently as possible.
- Before giving his best shot to rapping, James tried his hand at various jobs. He worked at fast food joints such as McDonald’s and Popeyes and an Apple Warehouse called Flextronics but could never hold on to any job for more than a month.
- Meanwhile, he also learned everything about sound engineering through YouTube tutorials.
- Tay Keith started seeing massive success as a music producer way before Bloc Boy JB surfaced in the hip-hop industry which motivated James to do everything he could to keep up with him.
- JB’s schoolmates often criticized him and repeatedly told him that he was nowhere near good enough to become a professional rapper.
- His signature Shoot dance was a spontaneous move James created while listening to his song at home. He liked it so much while looking at himself in the mirror that he asked his videographer to record it for the Shoot music video. No sooner did he post it online, the dance went viral. James was surprised when the popularity of the dance extended beyond the Memphis community and was taken up by Football players and other sports teams.
- JB’s Shoot dance was also nominated for the Kid’s Choice Award in the category of favorite dance trend 2018.
- He named his 7th mixtape, SIMI to honor a friend who got shot in front of JB’s house on Mother’s day 2016.
- BlocBoy JB’s name was listed in the prestigious XXL Annual Freshman list 2018.
- To find out more about the rapper, follow him on Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Featured Image by BlocBoy JB / Instagram