|Bowen Yang Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||November 6, 1990|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Bowen Yang is an American actor, comedian, podcaster, and writer who first earned recognition for hosting the pop-culture podcast, Las Culturistas. He was also popular among his followers for posting pop-culture lip-syncing videos on Twitter. In September 2018, he joined the writing cast of the iconic late-night sketch comedy show Saturday Night Live (SNL) and in September 2019, he was promoted as a member of the on-air cast; becoming the show’s first-ever Chinese-American and only the third openly gay male cast member. In January 2019, he was named in Forbes magazine’s ’30 Under 30′ list in the Hollywood & Entertainment category.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
Bowen had graduated from the Smoky Hill High School in Aurora, Colorado in 2008. The same year, he moved to New York with his older sister and joined the New York University. He attended pre-med classes there and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in microbiology.
Actor, Comedian, Podcaster, Writer
- Father – Ruilin Yang
- Mother – Meng Yang (Obstetrician and Gynecologist)
- Siblings – Yang (Older Sister)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Mildly stocky frame
- Has a mole on his chin and one near his lips
- Side-cropped hair
- Charming smile
Bowen Yang Facts
- Bowen’s family had moved from China to Australia in the 1980s after the cultural revolution in China (1966-1976) so that his father could eventually attend a university that was difficult in China post the revolution period.
- His family later relocated to Montreal, Canada and when he was 9 years old, his family eventually settled in Aurora, Colorado in the United States. As a child, he was inspired by late-night talk show hosts David Letterman and Conan O’Brien.
- In a weird coincidence, in his high school yearbook’s superlatives section, he was voted as ‘Most Likely to Be a Cast Member on Saturday Night Live’.
- Bowen’s parents found out that he was gay when he was 17 after he had forgotten to close a social media chat window on the family’s computer. His parents were very upset at the revelation as gender fluidity was traditionally a very taboo subject in China. His father even sent him to an institution that held sessions for ‘gay conversion therapy’.
- While he was attending New York University, he met Matt Rogers and the duo decided to launch, in 2016, a weekly comedy podcast which was named Las Culturistas. From 2013 to 2018, after teaching himself Adobe Photoshop and graphic design, he had also worked for One Kings Lane (OKL), a luxury interior and home design website.
- In July 2023, Bowen announced that he had decided to take a break from his podcast, Las Culturistas after suffering from depersonalization.
Featured Image by Bowen Yang / Instagram