|Brandon Flowers Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||June 21, 1981|
Brandon Flowers is an American musician who has served as the lead singer of the rock band The Killers since 2001. Apart from being the frontman of the band, he is also the bassist and keyboardist. He has 5 older siblings and has never taken any illegal drugs. Growing up, he idolized boxer Mike Tyson.
Brandon Richard Flowers
- B.Flow (Gangsta Name)
- Mr. Brightside (After his 2004 hit song)
- Rocket Man (As per 2006 interview, Brandon would rather call himself rocket man than an artist)
City of Henderson, Clark County, Nevada, United States
- Las Vegas, Nevada (often works at Battle Born Studios, a 2000 square foot studio owned by his band, The Killers)
- Relocated his family to Park City, Summit County, Utah in 2017
Brandon studied at Juab High School in Nephi, Utah from 6th grade to junior year (11th Grade).
He took piano lessons from the age of 7 to 11 that gave him a strong foundation as a musician.
Brandon completed the last year of his high school education from Chaparral High School in Las Vegas, Nevada and graduated in 1999.
He enrolled for the college education but quit, as soon as he started after he heard David Bowie’s 1972 hit single Changes on the radio while driving a car. The song motivated Brandon to drop out of college to become a full-time musician.
Musician, Singer, Songwriter
- Father – Terry Austin Flowers
- Mother – Jean Yvonne Flowers née Barlow (Former Primary School Teacher, child care provider)
- Siblings –
- Shane Andrea Flowers (12 Years Older Brother) (Senior Director in Healthcare Sector)
- April Michael Flickinger (Older Sister)
- Shelly Wilkerson (Older Sister) (Seller at Ebay)
- Amy Weast (Older Sister)
- Stephanie Walker (Older Sister)
- Others –
- Richard Arthur Barlow (Maternal Grandfather)
- Suzanne Yvonne Barlow (Maternal Grandmother)
- Andrea Jorgensen Flowers (Sister-in-law)
- Craig Barlow (Cousin) (Professional Golfer)
- Brandon has 18 nephews and nieces and their names are Joshua, Luke, Brook, Seth, Rachel, Emily, Britney, Jake, Chase, Brianna, Cassidy, Taylor, Hayden, Caitlin, Alexis, Austin, Kyla, and Ethan.
- Robert H. Reynolds (Entertainment Lawyer)
- William Morris Endeavor (WME) (Booking Agent)
Alternative rock, New wave rock music, Heartland rock, Synthesizer / Techno pop
Vocals, Synthesizer, Keyboard, Bass Guitar, Piano
Island Records, Vertigo Records, Marrakesh Records
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
70 kg or 154 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
- Tana Mundkowsky (2001–Present) – Brandon met Tana in a thrift store in 2001 while he was shopping with his guitarist, Dave in preparation of their upcoming first gig as The Killers. Tana was working for the US Designer Betsy Johnson at that time and her unique sense of style caught Brandon’s eye. The two exchanged numbers and went out for their first date to an all-night record store where they bonded over their common interest in the same musicians (David Bowie, The Smiths, and Leonard Cohen). Being aware of Brandon’s deep faith in Mormonism, Tana read the Book of Mormon and decided to convert to Mormonism as well as to give a surprise to Brandon. Although the singer claimed he would have married her regardless of it. After 4 years of dating, the couple got married in an intimate ceremony on the island of O’ahu in Hawaii on August 2, 2005. Together, they have three sons, viz., Ammon (b. July 14, 2007), Gunnar (b. July 28, 2009), and Henry (b. March 9, 2011). After marriage, Tana went on to work as a manager at Urban Outfitters and later decided to become a primary school teacher.
Race / Ethnicity
His paternal grandmother was Lithuanian.
Predominantly, he has English, Scottish, Welsh, Manx (remote Irish) ancestry.
Possibly also comes from German, French, and distant Dutch lineage through his maternal line.
- Mole below the right eye
- Prominent worry lines on the forehead
- Very lean build and face
Brandon’s band, The Killers, consciously avoids endorsement deals.
Mormonism, member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS church).
Best Known For
Being the lead singer of the Las Vegas based rock band, The Killers who have a 7-time Grammy nomination to their credit in the early years of their career from 2005 to 2007.
As a Singer
Mr Brightside released in September 2003 was the debut single by The Killers. It failed to catch any attention. It became a sleeper hit on the US Billboard in 2005 upon its re-release in 2004.
Hot Fuss that included 11 tracks released in June 2004 was the first studio album by The Killers.
Flamingo was Brandon’s debut solo studio album released in September 2010.
Brandon was offered several film roles ever since his band became a success. He declined to work in all of them.
He says that a musician has no business getting into acting just as an actor has no business cutting an album, no matter how good he sounds singing in the bathroom.
First TV Show
Featured in one episode of a British comedy-music talk show called Friday Night with Jonathan Ross in 2009.
- Brandon was a fat kid until the age of 15 and still struggles with the temptation to overeat.
- He started working as a busboy in a restaurant in Caesar’s Palace at the age of 16 which was also the time he took up smoking because smoke-breaks were the only breaks bus-boys were allowed.
- After dabbling in smoking and drinking in his twenties, Brandon decided to give up on these vices completely which made him realize that it made him an even better stage performer.
- In a 2015 interview, Brandon revealed that he gave up alcohol around 2007 or 2008, stopped smoking, does not drink coffee and has never touched illegal drugs in his life.
- He also specifically avoids going to after-parties on a tour which are filled with the temptation of drugs and alcohol.
- After having kids, the singer became even more conscious about his fitness.
- He lifts weights 5 times a week and mixes up his cardio on the Elliptical, stair master, and stationary bike.
- Brandon is particularly fond of running or hiking outdoors and loves to explore nature trails and tracks in different countries he is visiting on tour.
- Despite being so particularly disciplined, the singer confessed he is not good at eating healthy, nutritious food. He is thankful that his physically hyperactive routine affords him to indulge in junk food like In-n-Out burgers.
- Though his other meals vary, he likes to have the same breakfast every day which is:
- A banana, two probiotic drinks called Actimel and a cereal in almond milk.
- Brandon occasionally follows it up with drinking Coke because he is very fond of that soft drink.
Brandon Flowers Favorite Things
- Book – East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- Cuisine – Mexican
- Guilty Pleasure – Camarones Zarandeados at Lindo Michoacan in Las Vegas
- Movies – Moulin Rouge (2001), Forrest Gump (1994), Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
- Childhood Movie – E.T the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
- Song On First Album Hot Fuss – Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
- All-Time Favorite Song Created By The Killers – Read my Mind from Sam’s Town (2006)
- City – London, Las Vegas
- Classical Musician – Bach
- Band – The Strokes
- Actor – James Spader
Source – Mojo4music, IMDb, NME
Brandon Flowers Facts
- As a child, his first aspiration was to become a professional golfer but he was not as good as his older brother which put him off.
- Since Brandon was an unplanned baby, much younger than all his 5 siblings, he became fiercely competitive to keep up with his brother and sisters before time. He reflected the same fire as the lead vocalist of The Killers because he was also the shortest and youngest band member there.
- When he moved to Las Vegas, his next big professional goal was to become a valet outside a major casino because some of his uncles worked as valets and were always cash rich.
- Mike Tyson was one of his non-musical idols when he was 9 years old primarily because he was a strong, undefeated boxing champion. When he unexpectedly got knocked out by Buster Douglas in a match in 1990, Brandon’s whole perception of the world changed.
- Since the singer is fond of boxing, he bet on Conor McGregor in the McGregor vs Mayweather, Jr. boxing match held in August 2017 and lost money.
- If Brandon is in a casino, he likes to play Roulette and Blackjack.
- In 2001, Brandon was a member of a keyboard band called Blush Response. He got kicked out of that group because he refused to move to Los Angeles with them.
- He reached out to Dave Keuning, after reading an advertisement by him in Las Vegas Weekly seeking new band members. Dave and Brandon bonded over their love for British band Oasis and Dave eventually accepted him as a band member because he was the only ‘normal’ person to audition.
- The first thing The Killers guitarist Dave Keuning noticed about Brandon when he met him for the first time was that he was wearing Clarks shoes, the same shoe brand worn by Oasis band members.
- Brandon and Dave created the all-time hit single Mr. Brightside in their very first rehearsal.
- Initially, The Killers thought of calling themselves The Genius Sex Poets.
- While watching a music video of the single Crystal (2001) by New Order, Brandon saw ‘The Killers’ written on the drums of a fictitious band in the music video which was the inspiration behind his band name.
- The singer likes writing songs to counter his inability to be articulate in everyday life.
- The Killers have performed live in over 50 countries that stretch across 6 continents.
- Brandon’s parents met as teenagers and were married for nearly 5 decades until he lost his mother to brain cancer. The Killers created the song A Dustland Fairytale (2009) as a tribute to their lifelong romance.
- By the time Brandon had his first child, he already had 18 nieces and nephews. Hence, he took to fatherhood very comfortably.
- He often gets into arguments with his booking agents while planning his tours because he does not like being on the road for too long and miss out on his sons growing up.
- In 2015, Brandon had to cancel a series of solo tours to be by his wife’s side. She was suffering from complex PTSD and was having suicidal thoughts at that time. His song Rut released in December 2017 talks about how they overcame that difficult period.
- His first solo album Flamingo was named after the road in Las Vegas where his first workplace was situated and the thrift store where he met his wife for the first time.
- While on tour, Brandon has this quirk of saving all his beard shavings in a ziplock bag.
- Brandon stated that Morrissey, the lead singer of The Smiths was one of the earliest musical influences on him from where he picked up the art of performing as a band’s frontman. He improved his craft by observing David Bowie, David Gahan, Bruce Springsteen, and Elvis Presley.
- He always removes his wedding ring before every stage performance because he does not want to lose it in the crowd.
- He was awarded the best-dressed man and sexiest man award by NME in 2005 and the most stylish in 2011. While GQ magazine gave him the Most Stylish Man of the Year award in 2008.
- Brandon has an irrational fear of flying on airplanes alongside other fears of his own mortality and the number 621 (his birth date June 21). He visits a therapist to calm his anxiety triggered by these fears and listens to his therapy sessions every time before boarding a plane.
- To find out more about the singer, visit his website @ brandonflowersmusic.com and @ thekillersmusic.com.
- Follow him on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube VEVO.
Featured Image by Lucy Hamblin / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0