|Brian McKnight Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||June 5, 1969|
|Spouse||Leilani Malia Mendoza|
Brian McKnight is an American singer, songwriter, producer, and actor who is known for his musical finesse and for releasing a number of tracks and albums that have been well-received by the audience as well as the critics. His work has also been nominated for Grammy Awards 16 times until June 2019 and Brian McKnight is the 3rd musician to have the most Grammy nominations without a win after Morten Lindberg and Snoop Dogg. From the start of his career, Brian McKnight started to gain recognition as his self-titled debut album was certified ‘Platinum’ by the Recording Industry Association of America and was also ranked at number #58 in the Billboard 200 chart. Soon after, his 3rd studio album, Anytime, was also well-received by the audience and was certified ‘Platinum’ by RIAA while it also received a Grammy nomination. Some of the other albums that Brian McKnight has released are I Remember You, Back at One, Superhero, U Turn, Gemini, Evolution of a Man, Ten, Just Me, More Than Words, and Genesis. He has also tried his hand in acting and has been cast in a couple of shows and movies such as Sister, Sister, The Beat, Platinum, American Dreams, Leverage, Black Dynamite, Note to Self, A Country Christmas Story, Sandy Wexler, Hollywood in Vienna 2015: Tales of Mystery, Grown Folks, and Twilight: The Story of Hope. Moreover, Brian McKnight has also garnered a huge social media fan base with more than 250k followers on Instagram, more than 150k followers on Twitter, more than 500k subscribers on YouTube, and more than 1.5 million followers on Facebook.
Brian Kelly McKnight
Buffalo, New York, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Brian McKnight went to Maynard Evans High School in Orlando, Florida, United States. Then, he studied at Oakwood College (Oakwood University), which is a private, historically black Seventh-day Adventist university located in Huntsville, Alabama, from 1987 to 1989.
Singer, Songwriter, Producer, Actor
- Father – Claude McKnight, Jr.
- Mother – Ruth Elaine Willis (She played the piano and sang in a gospel choir in Buffalo’s Emanuel Temple.)
- Siblings – Claude McKnight III (Older Brother) (Musician, Member of Gospel singing group named Take 6), Michael McKnight (Older Brother)
Brian McKnight is represented by Red Entertainment Agency, Talent Agency, New York City, New York, United States.
R&B, Soul, Adult
Vocals, Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Trombone, Tuba, Percussion
- Mercury Records (1988–1997)
- Motown Records (1998–2005)
- Warner Bros. (2006–2008)
- E1 Music (2009–2015)
- Kobalt Music Recordings (From 2015)
- Universal Music Group/SoNo (From 2016)
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
95 kg or 209.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Brian McKnight has dated –
- Julie McKnight – Brian McKnight and singer Julie McKnight started going out while they were in college and the college sweethearts later tied the knot in 1990. During the course of their relationship, the duo was blessed with 3 children. However, things started falling apart after they had been married for over a decade and they finally got divorced in 2003, ending a 13 years long marriage.
- Annalisa Mungcal – It is speculated that Brian McKnight went out with Annalisa Mungcal in the past and the duo even got engaged during the course of their relationship.
- Miriam Moreno (2008) – In the year 2008, McKnight had a fling with Miriam Moreno and they welcomed their first and the only child together, a son named Evan Brian, the following year.
- Dr. Leilani Malia Mendoza (2014-Present) – Brian McKnight started dating pediatric neurophysiologist Leilani Malia in 2014. The couple announced their engagement in May 2017 and eventually, on December 29, 2017, they got married. They have since been together and McKnight often uploads their pictures and videos on Instagram to keep his fans updated about his relationship status as well as to showcase his love for Leilani Malia.
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and pepper
- Strong falsetto and belting range
- Towering height
- Toned physique
- Shaved head
Brian McKnight has done endorsement work for a number of brands such as –
- Sears (TV Commercial) (2001)
- RADD (TV Commercial) (2001)
Brian McKnight grew up as a Seventh-day Adventist.
Best Known For
- Being the 3rd musician (as of June 2019) after Morten Lindberg and Snoop Dogg to have the most number of Grammy nominations without a win as he has been nominated for Grammy Awards 16 times
- Releasing a number of popular albums such as Brian McKnight, I Remember You, Back at One, Anytime, U Turn, Evolution of a Man, Gemini, More Than Words, and Genesis
- Having garnered a huge social media fan base with more than 250k followers on Instagram, more than 150k followers on Twitter, more than 500k subscribers on YouTube, and more than 1.5 million followers on Facebook
Brian McKnight released his eponymous debut studio album, Brian McKnight, in 1992 via Mercury Records. It consisted of songs such as The Way Love Goes, Goodbye My Love, After the Love, One Last Cry, Never Felt This Way, Stay The Night, Is The Feeling Gone, I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do), and My Prayer and was certified ‘Platinum’ by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). The album was also ranked at number #58 in the Billboard 200 chart.
Brian McKnight made his first theatrical film appearance as a Record Executive in the comedy action drama film, The Beat, in 2003. The cast included the likes of Rahman Jamaal, Kazz Wingate IV, Derek Barbosa, Michael Colyar, Coolio, and John Cothran.
First TV Show
Brian McKnight made his first TV show appearance as ‘Himself’ in an episode of the music talk-show series, Soul Train, in February 1993.
Brian McKnight has maintained a stunning physique by working out on a regular basis. Even after being 50 years old, the musician has managed to work out as often as possible and also focuses on eating right.
Brian McKnight Facts
- He was raised alongside his brothers in a highly religious family in Buffalo, New York, United States and his grandfather used to serve as a pastor of a church.
- Brian McKnight began his pursuits as a musician very early in his life by joining his church choir as a kid.
- After his brother’s band, Take 6, signed a record deal with Warner Brothers, Brian McKnight was inspired to shop his own demo tapes and soon after, he signed his first record deal with Wing Records, a Mercury Records subsidiary, when he was just 19 years old.
- During his sophomore year at Oakwood College, Brian McKnight, along with his girlfriend, was expelled for violating Oakwood’s rules about dormitory visitors as he had brought his girlfriend in his dorm room.
- His 3rd studio album, Anytime, was released via Mercury Records in 1997 and consisted of tracks such as Anytime You Should Be Mine (Don’t Waste Your Time), Show Me the Way Back to Your Heart, Every Time We Say Goodbye, The Only One for Me, Til I Get Over You, I Belong to You, and When the Chariot Comes. It was certified ‘Platinum’ by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and also received a Grammy nomination.
- At the 1998 MTV Video Music Awards, the music video for Anytime, directed by Darren Grant, was nominated in the “Best Male Video” category.
- In the year 1998, Brian McKnight signed a record deal with Motown Records.
- He shares writing credits with Australian singer and songwriter, Guy Sebastian, for the song titled Wait, from Sebastian’s album, Beautiful Life, which was released in October 2004.
- Brian McKnight made his first Broadway appearance in October 2007 in the show, Chicago.
- He served as the host for the radio show, The Brian McKnight Morning Show, along with Pat Prescott from 2006 to 2010.
- In 2005, he was seen in Mariah Carey‘s video for the song, It’s Like That.
- Brian McKnight was also cast in the 2nd season of the reality game show, Celebrity Apprentice, in 2009 and he decided to play for the non-profit children’s services company, Youthville USA.
- He hosted The Brian McKnight Show from September 2009 to May 2010.
- Brian McKnight has sung the National Anthem on several occasions such as the 1997 NBA All-Star Game in Cleveland, Ohio, Game 6 of the 2002 World Series in Anaheim, California, and the 2005 Major League Baseball All-Star Game in Detroit, Michigan. Moreover, he also sang the National Anthem for the Major League Baseball (MLB) Opening Day in Cincinnati, Ohio, United States on March 31, 2011, alongside his sons, Brian, Jr. and Niko.
- He attracted much critical attention after he dropped If You’re Ready To Learn, which has been characterized as a “filthy jam” by Billboard, on YouTube on April 23, 2012. Later, he clarified that it was a parody on the state of R&B which has been experiencing a downfall.
- Brian McKnight and his 13th studio album, Genesis, which was released in August 2017, were nominated for two NAACP Image Awards in January 2018 in the “Outstanding Male Artist” and “Outstanding Album” categories, respectively, alongside the likes of Bruno Mars, Charlie Wilson, Kendrick Lamar, Jay-Z, and Mary J. Blige.
- He has been friends with Steve Harvey.
- He has appeared in a number of shows and movies such as Stanley T in Da House, Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show, The Beat, The Rosie O’Donnell Show, Platinum, American Dreams, Leverage, Black Dynamite, The Mumblesteens, The Steve Harvey Show, A Country Christmas Story, Hollywood in Vienna 2015: Tales of Mystery, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, The Wayne Brady Show, Twilight: The Story of Hope, Grown Folks, New York Undercover, The Roseanne Show, The Oprah Winfrey Show, The Isaac Mizrahi Show, The Sharon Osbourne Show, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, and Fair Game with Kristine Leahy.
- Brian McKnight’s credits as a producer include working on The Brian McKnight Show, Brian McKnight: Crazy Love, and Black Men United: U Will Know.
- Visit his official website @ mcknight360.com.
- Follow Brian McKnight on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, iTunes, Spotify, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Neon Tommy / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0