|Brittney Griner Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||October 18, 1990|
Brittney Griner is an American professional basketball player who plays for the Phoenix Mercury of the Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA) and for UMMC Ekaterinburg in Russia.
Brittney Yevette Griner
Houston, Texas, United States
She attended Nimitz High School.
Professional Basketball Player
- Mother – Sandra Griner
- Siblings – She has 3 older siblings.
She self-manages herself.
6 ft 9 in or 206 cm
93 kg or 205 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Brittney Griner has dated –
- Anthony Davis – Rumor
- Glory Johnson (2014-2016) – Brittney Griner got engaged to her fellow WNBA player Glory Johnson on August 14, 2014, and had officially tied the knot on May 8, 2015, in Phoenix, Arizona. On June 4, 2015, Griner announced that Johnson was pregnant with twins. The following day, she filed for an annulment and cited fraud and duress as her reasons. She has no biological connection to the twins as Johnson became pregnant via IVF treatment using her eggs and a sperm donation. The divorce was finalized in 2016.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of African-American descent.
- Tall Height
- Thick Eyebrows
- Big Lips
Brittney Griner Favorite Things
- Pets – Dogs
Source – Instagram
Brittney Griner Facts
- She played varsity volleyball as a freshman.
- During her sophomore year, she practiced with the boy’s basketball team and worked with a Nimitz football coach to develop her leg strength in preparation for her learning to dunk. In her junior season, a YouTube video showcasing her dunks had been watched more than 3 million times, which eventually led her to a meeting with Shaquille O’Neal.
- She participated in the 2009 WBCA High School All-America Game ad led her team by scoring 20 points and 9 rebounds.
- She was among the tallest players in WNBA league history. The only international female players surpassing her height are Margo Dydek at 7 ft 2 in, Sue Geh at 6 ft 9 in, Heidi Gillingham at 6 ft 10 in, and Allyssa DeHaan at 6 ft 9 in.
- In the 2013 WNBA Draft, she was selected first overall by the Phoenix Mercury. She had a solid start as a rookie and was named WNBA all-star. She became a dominant defensive force in the league, averaging 3.0 blocks per game.
- On May 23, 2013, she made her debut in a match against Chicago Sky during which she equaled the WNBA drunk record with 2 dunks to Candace Parker’s career total.
- In 2017, she had her best season of her career. She scored a career-high of 38 points with 9 rebounds in a 98-90 overtime win against the Indiana Fever. Despite missing 8 games of the season due to ankle and knee injuries, she still managed to end the season with a leading score of 21.9 points per game.
- With her impressive career points and achievements, she has been a recipient of many awards since high school. She was named the number one high school player in the country by Rivals.com and was featured on the cover of ESPN’s Rise Magazine. In addition to this, she won the 2013 ESPY Award for “Best Female College Athlete” and was the 2012 winner of the Honda Sports Award basketball and the overall Honda-Broderick Cup winner for all sports.
- She was the 2012 recipient of the Wade Trophy, presented to the best female NCAA Division I basketball player who embodies the “Spirit of Margaret Wade” and was the winner of the Ann Meyers Drysdale Award, in 2012, and again in 2013.
- She is often credited for bringing the women’s game more attention due to her ability to dunk.
- As of January 2020, Griner holds the NCAA record for dunks in a career with 18 total dunks.
- In March 2022, it was reported that Brittney had been detained in Russia after the Russian Federal Customs Service allegedly found vape cartridges in her luggage which contained oil derived from cannabis. She later pled guilty to smuggling drugs into Russia. In August 2022, she was sentenced to 9 years in prison and was fined 1 million rubles by the Russian court.
Featured Image by Lorie Shaull / Wikimedia / CC-BY-SA-4.0