|Calvin Klein Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||November 19, 1942|
|Girlfriend / Boyfriend||Kevin Baker|
Calvin Klein is an American fashion designer known for being one of the most successful designers in the world. He is the founder of the popular brand, Calvin Klein. Before starting his own brand, he used to work as a designer at many clothing stores.
Calvin Richard Klein
Bronx, New York, United States
Klein lives in a minimalistic mansion at the Meadow Lane in Southampton, New York. The oceanfront property cost him $75 million.
He also owns a stylish contemporary house in the Bird Streets of the Hollywood Hills. He had bought the place for $25 million in 2015.
Calvin Klein went to the Isobel Rooney Middle School 80. He later studied at the High School of Art and Design.
After the completion of his high school education, he got admission at the Fashion Institute of Technology. However, he never graduated from the institute.
- Father – Leo Klein (Grocer)
- Mother – Flore Klein
- Siblings – Barry Klein (Older Brother), Alexis Klein (Younger Sister)
Calvin Klein can be reached through Calvin Klein, Inc.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
70 kg or 154 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Calvin Klein has dated –
- Jayne Centre (1964-1974) – In 1964, Klein got married to a textile designer, Jayne Centre. Jayne gave birth to their daughter, Marci in October 1967. However, their marriage came to an end in 1974. Marci is best known for having worked as a talent producer for NBC’s TV show, Saturday Night Live.
- Kelly Rector (1986-1996) – In September 1986, Klein got married to his personal assistant Kelly Rector. Their romantic and low key ceremony was held in Rome. They officially announced their separation in 1996. However, they didn’t get officially divorced until 2006.
- Nick Gruber (2010-2012) – In 2010, Klein started dating model and former p*rnstar, Nick Gruber. Their relationship caused a huge stir as Klein was about 48 years older than his new boyfriend. Their relationship came to end by the start of 2012. Gruber later revealed that Klein had gifted him a Bentley but after the breakup, he asked Gruber to return it. He also claimed that Klein had forced him to take a lie detector test and got him interrogated by a former detective. Klein was suspicious that Gruber was cheating on him.
- Kevin Baker (2016-Present) – Klein’s relationship with model Kevin Baker became public in December 2016 after they were spotted together at the ACRIA holiday dinner at the 69th Regiment Armory.
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he has Hungarian ancestry and on his mother’s side, he has American and Austrian ancestry.
Dark Brown (Natural)
With advancing age, his hair has started turning ‘Gray’.
- Gaunt appearance
- Blue eyes
Calvin Klein hasn’t done endorsement work for any brand yet.
He hasn’t spoken about his religious views publicly.
Best Known For
- Being the founder of the iconic fashion brand, Calvin Klein.
- Being one of the most successful and popular American fashion designers.
He hasn’t been cast in any theatrical film yet.
First TV Show
In 1977, Calvin Klein made his first TV show appearance on the comedy talk show, The Mike Douglas Show.
His workout routine and diet plan aren’t known.
Calvin Klein Favorite Things
- Time – The Seventies in New York City
Source – Independent
Calvin Klein Facts
- While studying at the Fashion Institute of Technology, he worked as a copyboy in the art department of Women’s Wear Daily, which was a popular fashion publication.
- In 1968, he started his iconic Calvin Klein Limited as a coat shop in the York Hotel with $10,000. The sales of his company in its 1st season managed to cross $500,000. By 1977, his brand was recording sales of more than $30 million.
- When he started his ascent in the fashion industry, he was called the American Yves St Laurent.
- In the late 70s, he became a household name after his brand used 13 years old Brooke Shields in the infamous promotional campaign for new collection of jeans. The commercial was banned in the US. On the back of the controversy, he managed to sell a record number of jeans. They were selling more than 200,000 pairs in a day.
- In February 1978, his 11 years old daughter Marci was kidnapped and he was asked to pay a ransom of $100,000. The police eventually arrested Marci’s babysitter Paule Ransay, her half-brother Dominique, and Dominique’s friend Cecil Wiggins. Later, Paule Ransay claimed that Klein’s lover and he had planned the kidnapping of his daughter for some publicity before the launch of his new clothing and perfume line.
- In 1995, he was caught up in a huge controversy as his new promotional campaign with teenage models in motel rooms preparing for p*rnographic auditions was viewed as child p*rnography by the US Justice Department. The company had to withdraw the adverts.
- In December 2002, Calvin Klein was acquired by Phillips Van Heusen Corp (PVH). As part of the deal, PVH paid $400 million in cash and $30 million in shares. Klein also got royalties and licensing rights linked with the future sales.
- In 2003, he received an honorary Doctorate from his alma-mater, Fashion Institute of Technology.
- After dropping out of Fashion Institute of Technology, he started working at the oldline cloak-and-suit manufacturer, Dan Millstein.
- Before he decided to start Calvin Klein, he worked for 5 years as a designer with various New York City stores.
- He doesn’t have any official social media account.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Wikipedia / CC BY-3.0