|Canelo Álvarez Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||July 18, 1990|
Canelo Álvarez is a Mexican professional boxer who began to establish a professional career in boxing at the age of 15. He gained fame and his name made rounds worldwide due to his outstanding multiple winning streaks and achievements on numerous world championships. In his entire boxing career, he has compiled multiple world championship victories that highlighted 3 weight classes including the unified Super WBA, WBC, Ring Magazine, and Lineal Middleweight Titles. Moreover, he has also acquired the IBF Title since May 2019, and the WBA Regular Super Middleweight Title since December 2018. He was ranked as the world’s best active boxer and got various recognitions and titles such as becoming the pound for pound, by BoxRec, third by The Ring, and eighth by the Boxing Association of America (BAA).
Álvarez also peaked the top as the world’s best active middleweight by BoxRec and was also recognized by the Transitional Boxing Ranking Boards (TBRB). In his early years and shortly after debuting as a professional boxer, he was able to knock out 11 out of his 13 opponents, all of which were older than him at the time. He recorded another victory in January 2006 after winning a fight against IBF Lightweight champion Miguel Vázquez, which made his career evidently more successful and dominating in the boxing industry. Two years after, he defeated Vázquez in a rematch during which a history was made when his other 6 brothers also fought on that same night. As for his style play, he’s known for his excellent execution as a counterpuncher. He’s able to get into his opponent’s defense while avoiding punches and rebuts with head and body movements.
Santos Saúl Álvarez Barragán
Canelo, Cinnamon, Saúl
Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
- Father – Santos Álvarez
- Mother – Ana María Barragán
- Siblings – Ramón Álvarez (Older Brother) (Professional Boxer), Ricardo Álvarez (Older Brother) (Professional Boxer), Rigoberto Álvarez (Older Brother) (Professional Boxer). He also has 3 older brothers and an older sister.
Canelo Álvarez is represented by Jose “Chepo” Reynoso, Manager and Trainer.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Canelo Álvarez has dated –
- Marisol González – Canelo Álvarez got reportedly engaged to Miss Mexico Universe, Marisol González in the past. But, the full details about their relationship and as to whether or not they are still together still remains unknown.
- He also has one daughter with his former girlfriend whose name still remains unidentified.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Mexican descent.
- V-shaped Bearded Jawline
- Deep Set Eyes
Canelo Álvarez has endorsed brands such as –
- Under Armour
Best Known For
Winning multiple world championships and holding numerous titles including the unified WBA (Super), WBC, Ring Magazine, Lineal Middleweight, and IBF Middleweight Titles
First TV Show
In 2010, he made his first TV show appearance as “Himself” on the series Puños bravos.
Professional boxers and sports players like Canelo Álvarez are expected to go through immense training and serious diets to maintain their strength, agility, speed, and precise movements to execute an elite-level performance during their fights. Moreover, professional boxers are also required to maintain their weight just right before their next match kicks off, therefore, making sure they consume only the right amounts of food which is a grave requirement to help them achieve their weight goal for that specific match.
In an interview, he shared a handful of details about how he trains before a fight kicks off and what can be the most important workout routine for boxers. When asked about his most important workout parameter, he revealed that physical conditioning is the most important part of the training, given the fact that fights are “tough” and “hard”. Looking at his Instagram, Álvarez often tends to post his workout and training sessions in the form of video snippets.
Canelo Álvarez Boxing Workout
Warm-up – Jogging, 10 minutes
- Jab, cross, jab cross combo – 45-second rounds/3 rounds
- Jab, jab, right uppercut combo – 45-second rounds/3 rounds
- Jab, cross, left hook comb – 45-seconds/3 rounds
- Jab, jab, right hook, left uppercut – 45-seconds/3 rounds
- Forward Jump – 90 Seconds
- Alternating (from one foot to another) – 90 Seconds
- Single Jump
- Left Foot – 30 Seconds
- Right Foot – 30 Seconds
- Repeat Sequence 3x
His typical diet plan is as follows –
- Breakfast – Orange juice and egg whites with ham
- Lunch – Chicken with squash, carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower
- Snacks – Apples, jicama, grapes, cucumbers
- Dinner – Protein shake with no carbs
Canelo Álvarez Favorite Things
- Movies – The Shooter
- Music – Banda style
- Artists – Vicente Fernandez
- Hobbies – Car Racing, Swimming, Fishing, Outdoor Camping
Source – YouTube, YouTube, YouTube, YouTube, BoxNation.com
Canelo Álvarez Facts
- He is the youngest of the 8 children.
- He drives a Ferrari and an Audi R8 Spyder.
- Canelo is an avid horse rider.
- All of his brothers also became professional boxers.
- If not a boxer, he would have been a race car driver.
- Álvarez has a huge social media fan base with more than 6 million followers on Instagram, more than 1.5 million followers on Twitter, and more than 3 million subscribers on Facebook.
- He started boxing at the age of 13 and became the 2005 Junior Mexican National Boxing Champion in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas at the age of 15.
- He’s also a boxing promoter in Mexico and his company Canelo Promotions was first established in 2010 along with his trainers and business partners, father-and-son, Chep and Eddy Reynoso.
- On May 4, 2019, he defeated Daniel Jacobs via unanimous decision with a final scoring of 115-113, 115-113, and 116-112.
- He won an impressive 30 of his first 42 fights by way of knockout.
- Álvarez’s fight with Floyd Mayweather sold more than 2.2 million pay-per-view units which generated more than $71 million in revenue.
- Visit his official website @ caneloteam.com.
Featured Image by Canelo Álvarez / Instagram