|Changpeng Zhao Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||September 10, 1977|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Changpeng Zhao is a Canadian entrepreneur who is best known as the founder and former CEO of Binance, a company that had become the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange (by trading volume) in April 2018. In January 2022, he had become the richest person in Canada and the 11th richest person in the world.
Changpeng, after his high school graduation, had attended McGill University, a public research university in Montreal, Quebec. He had majored in computer science there.
- Father – His father was a university instructor.
- Mother – His mother was a teacher.
- Siblings – He has an older sister.
In January 2022, Changpeng Zhao’s net worth was $96 billion according to Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Chinese descent.
- Slender frame
- Short-cropped hair
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
Changpeng Zhao Facts
- Changpeng’s father, a university instructor, had been exiled to China’s rural areas, due to his ideological differences with the local authorities/administration, shortly after his birth. The family had emigrated to Canada from China when he was 12 years old and had settled down in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- In his teenage years in Canada, he used to financially support his family by working several service jobs including serving at a local McDonald’s outlet.
- After his university graduation, he had worked for a subcontractor, on an internship, at the Tokyo Stock Exchange. There, he used to develop software for matching trade orders.
- After a brief stint there, he had worked for 4 years at Bloomberg Tradebook, the agency broker of Bloomberg L.P., which serves global investment advisors, money managers, hedge funds, proprietary desks, and broker-dealers with access to global trading venues, proprietary trading algorithms, execution consulting services, pre-and-post trade analytics, and independent research. He was a developer of futures trading software there.
- In 2005, he had returned to his native China and had founded a Shanghai-based company called Fusion Systems which became well known for its superfast high-frequency trading systems for brokers.
- In 2013, he had turned his attention to cryptocurrency and had first worked as a member of the team that had developed Blockchain.info, a cryptocurrency financial services company. Around the same time, he had served as the chief technology officer of OKCoin, a cryptocurrency exchange company.
- In 2017, he had left OKCoin to launch his own cryptocurrency exchange, Binance. The company had raised USD 15 million in an initial coin offering and was launched in July 2017.
- Within 8 months of its launch, in April 2018, Binance had become the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange by trading volume. After this, he had launched Binance Smart Chain, a blockchain network that has made a significant contribution to the development of the decentralized finance industry.
- In February 2018, Forbes magazine had ranked him at number 3 on their list of ‘The Richest People In Cryptocurrency’.
- In an interview, in November 2021, he had stated that he was planning to donate up to 99% of his wealth, following in the footsteps of numerous other entrepreneurs and investors.
- In the first half of 2022 (until June 2022 end), CZ’s net worth had plunged by $80 billion due to the crypto crash.
- In November 2023, Changpeng stepped down from his position as the CEO of Binance after pleading guilty to violating US anti-money laundering laws. Later, Richard Teng replaced him as the CEO of the company.
Featured Image by Changpeng Zhao / Instagram