|Charles Dance Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||October 10, 1946|
Charles Dance is a talented English actor, screenwriter, and film director. He further grew famous after his role in the fan favorite HBO series Game of Thrones as the evil Tywin Lannister. His other notable roles include The Jewel in the Crown, The Golden Child, Alien 3, Last Action Hero, Dracula Untold, Terry Pratchett’s Going Postal, and The Imitation Game. He initially wanted to become a graphic designer and studied Graphic Designing and Photography from The Leicester College of Arts in England.
Walter Charles Dance
Redditch, Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Charles Dance studied at the Widey Technical School for Boys in Crownhill. Later, he joined The Leicester College of Arts which is now known as De Montfort University and graduated in Graphic Design and Photography.
Actor, Screenwriter, Film Director
- Father – Walter Dance (Electrical Engineer, Served During the Boer War in South Africa)
- Mother – Eleanor Marion Perks (Cook)
- Siblings – Unknown
- Others – David (Half Brother), Walter Dance (Paternal Grandfather), John Charles Dance (Paternal Great Grandfather), Emma Eade (Paternal Great Grandfather), May Kane (Paternal Grandmother), James George Perks (Maternal Grandfather), James John Perks (Maternal Great Grandfather), Marion Edith Hawyes (Maternal Great Grandmother), Marion Elizabeth Gold (Maternal Grandmother), George Futvoye Gold (Maternal Great Grandfather), Elizabeth Jane Gooch (Maternal Great Grandmother)
Charles Dance is managed by Tavistock Wood Management, Talent Agency, London, United Kingdom.
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
82 kg or 181 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Charles Dance has dated –
- Joanna Haythorn – Charles was in a relationship with sculptress Joanna Haythorn. The couple tied the knot in 1970. They are blessed with two children, son Oliver Matthew Dance (b. 1974), and daughter Rebecca Dance (b. 1980). Sadly, things did not work out between them, and they divorced in 2004.
- Emilia Fox (2001) – In 2001, Charles was rumored to have had an encounter with British actress Emilia Fox.
- Hilary Heath – Charles also had a brief encounter with the ex-wife of millionaire show business agent Duncan Heath, Hilary Heath after his split from Emilia Fox. They were seen together in Barbados.
- Anna Ford – Charles also had a brief relationship with former newsreader Anna Ford in the past.
- Sophia Myles (2004-2005) – In 2004, Charles started dating British actress Sophia Myles. After a year, in 2005, the pair separated.
- Shambhala Marthe – In 2006, Charles began dating French model Shambhala Marthe. They met at the fruit and vegetable market in London in 2005. They had an on and off relationship for a while.
- Eleanor Boorman – In November 2008, Charles began a relationship with painter, sculptress, and former model Eleanor Boorman. They have a daughter together named Rose Boorman (b. 2012). The couple is said to have moved on their separate ways.
Race / Ethnicity
He has English and Irish ancestry.
- Balding on the forehead
- Prominent nose
- Defined cheekbones
Charles Dance has endorsed and appeared in commercials for brands like –
- Chivas Regal
Best Known For
His roles in numerous TV series and films including HBO’s Game of Thrones (2011–2015) as Tywin Lannister, The Jewel in the Crown (1984) as Guy Perron, The Golden Child (1986) as Sardo Numspa, Alien 3 (1992) as Jonathan Clemens, Last Action Hero (1993) as Benedict, Dracula Untold (2014) as the Master Vampire, Terry Pratchett’s Going Postal (2010) as Lord Havelock Vetinari, and The Imitation Game (2014) as Alastair Denniston
In 1981, he made his theatrical film debut in the action adventure film For Your Eyes Only as Claus.
In 2013, he made his debut as a voice actor in the animated adventure film Justin and the Knights of Valour as Legantir.
First TV Show
In 1974, he made his first TV show appearance on the drama series The Inheritors as Simon Leadbetter.
In 2002, he lent his voice for the character of Col. Simon Lasker in the sci-fi animated series Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future.
Charles Dance works out regularly. While on weekends, he cycles furiously early morning to a nearby Hampstead Heath. There, he swims for 20-minutes in the unheated outdoor pool in his skimpy Speedos, no matter the weather conditions may be. After that, he takes a hot shower and cycles back home. He follows it up with a workout that includes pumping iron, yoga, and Pilates for an hour and 10 minutes.
Charles Dance Favorite Things
- Moment Or Scene From Game Of Thrones – The scenes with Arya Stark (Maisie Williams) in season 2
Source – Telegraph
Charles Dance Facts
- He grew up in Plymouth area of Devon, in England.
- His father died when he was just 3 years old.
- After graduation, his passion for acting developed, and he took acting training from 2 retired RADA actors part-time in Devon.
- Charles is usually cast as an assertive bureaucrat with a criminal mindset dressed sophistically in suits.
- He has appeared in many plays with the Royal Shakespeare Company including Hamlet, Henry IV, Richard III, Henry V, As You Like It, and Coriolanus, among others.
- He gained international fame after his appearance in the miniseries The Jewel in the Crown (1984) as Guy Perron.
- Charles’s happiest moment was knowing that he wanted to pursue acting as a career at about 22 years of age.
- His greatest fear is causing harm/seeing harm in his children.
- His earliest childhood memory is that of faces looming over him as he lay in his pram.
- The trait he most deplores in himself is indecision.
- The trait he most deplores in others is hypocrisy.
- His most embarrassing moment was complimenting an actress on a performance she hadn’t done.
- Aside from a property, the most expensive thing he has bought is imported Ford Mustang.
- His most treasured possession is his health.
- The thing that he most dislikes about his appearance is his disappearing hair.
- If he could bring back anything that’s extinct today, he would bring innocence.
- Snoring is his most unappealing habit.
- His fancy dress costume of choice is a mask.
- The worst thing anyone’s said to him is “You’re so completely selfish”.
- Vanilla brioche is his guiltiest pleasure.
- His children are the greatest love of his life.
- He stated that love felt like a painful pleasure.
- He would invite Nelson Mandela, Fanny Ardant, Harold Pinter, Desmond Tutu, Josephine Hart, Jack Nicholson, and Tony Benn to his dream dinner party.
- “Er” is the word or phrase he most overuses.
- His worst job was working as the plumber’s mate.
- His biggest disappointment has been his divorce.
- If he could go back in time, he would go to England in the 50s.
- Dreaming of drowning is the closest time he has experienced death.
- He admits that quitting smoking would improve the quality of his life.
- The most important lesson that life taught him was understanding the law of cause and effect.
- On June 17, 2006, he was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE).
- He has written and directed the British drama film Ladies in Lavender in 2004.
- He is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Alan Chang / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0