|Chip Gaines Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||November 14, 1974|
Chip Gaines is a self-proclaimed serial entrepreneur who has contributed to making his hometown Waco a tourism hotspot by being the face of several ventures under the brand, Magnolia, along with his wife Joanna. Most recognized for getting featured in the lifestyle reality series called Fixer Upper, he wrapped up the 5th and the last season in 2018 only to announce in an episode of The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, which aired in November 2018, that they were in the early stages of discussing the launch of Magnolia Network under the parent channel of Discovery.
Chip Carter Gaines
Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.
Waco, Texas, U.S.
Chip’s family relocated to Dallas area in Texas while he was still a child and he graduated from Grapevine High School in 1993. After finishing school, his heart was set on a career as a baseball player. He represented Northlake College in Irving, Texas for a year.
To join the Baylor baseball team, Chip transferred to Hankamer School of Business at Baylor University for a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration. Although he did not get selected for the college sports team, he completed his education in 1998 with a major in Marketing and went on to start a series of business ventures.
Entrepreneur, Author, Real Estate Contractor, Lifestyle Reality TV Star
- Father – Robert Kenneth Gaines aka Bob (Flooring Business Owner)
- Mother – Beverly Gayle Gaines aka Gayle
- Siblings – Shannon Braun (4 Years Older Sister)
- Others – Bob Braun (Brother-In-Law) (Senior Vice President of Sales & Business Development at Homecare Base), Taylor Braun (Niece), Jackson Braun (Nephew)
Chip is managed by –
- Bill Stankey, Westport Entertainment
- Loeb & Loeb LLP (Law Firm)
- Brock Murphy, Director of PR, Magnolia Market
- John Marsicano, Magnolia
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Chip Gaines has dated –
- Joanna Gaines (2001-Present) – Although Joanna and Chip studied in the same university, they never ran into each other there because their years of enrollment and their undergraduate courses were different.
Chip first spotted Joanna in her family picture put up by her father at his Firestone Tire shop. Strangely, the moment he saw that picture on the wall, he intuitively knew he would marry Joanna one day. He started visiting the Firestone shop frequently until one day in 2001 when he got lucky and ran into Joanna. Chip initiated a conversation with her claiming that he recognized her from the Firestone commercials in which Joanna worked as a model to promote her father’s business.
Joanna took her time to open up to Chip while dating him and eventually connected with him over shared beliefs and values. After dating for 2 years, the couple got married on March 31, 2003, at Earle-Harrison house in Waco, Texas. Together, they have 5 children – son Drake Stevens (born May 2005), daughter Ella Rose (born October 2006), son Duke Camden (born May 2008), daughter Emmie Kay (born February 2010), and son Crew Gaines (born June 2018).
Race / Ethnicity
- Deep set hooded eyes with drooping eyelids
- Rugged appearance
- Natural buff forearms owing to manual labor
- Usually wears a cap
Chip usually endorses brands that are associated with real estate in some way such as –
- Wayfair home furnishing & décor Company (2015)
- fun-gi gaming company that created a computer game called House Flip with Chip and Jo (2016)
- Kilz paint, primer, and home care product company (2017)
However, he avoids direct brand endorsements and prefers to promote his own business ventures that indirectly support local /nearby suppliers and small businesses.
In October 2017, Chip established a brand partnership with Target stores to promote their new home and lifestyle brand, Hearth & Hand, a sub-brand of Magnolia.
Chip, along with his wife Joanna, is also the face of his other ventures some of which are –
- Magnolia Market at the Silos shopping complex
- Silos Baking Company
- Magnolia Realty
- Magnolia Seed & Supply
- Magnolia Table (Restaurant)
- Magnolia Warehouse Shop
- The Magnolia House and Hillcrest Estate (Vacation rental houses)
- Magnolia Journal
Best Known For
Co-hosting the reality series, Fixer Upper, for 5 seasons (56 episodes) with his wife Joanna which was based on flipping houses of people living in Waco, Texas area and aired on HGTV Network
First TV Show
Chip made his TV show debut as a host on the series Fixer Upper in 2013.
Chip was a baseball and football player in high school but once out of college, construction and DIY activities became his primary source of physical activity. In October 2017, he ran into professional runner Gabriele Grunewald aka Gabe at Central Park, NYC where she shared her story of training and running through 4 bouts of cancer.
That meeting inspired Chip to host the inaugural Silo District Marathon, Half Marathon and 5k in Waco, Texas. It also inspired Chip to renew his relationship with exercise. He hired Gabe as his personal running coach who planned his weekly training schedule to prepare for the oncoming marathon in May 2018. He finished his first run in a time range of 5:21:54 and managed to raise $250,000 for Brave like Gabe foundation that offers all its proceeds to cancer research.
Chip tends to 60 animals by himself living on a 40-acre farm with his family. There is plenty of space for fresh organic produce and free range eggs that form the staple ingredients of their meals at home. He particularly likes a hearty breakfast that he cooks by himself for the entire family. It usually comprises of pancakes, eggs, and bacon.
Since Chip and his wife do not cook every day, their Magnolia Table restaurant and healthy meal food trucks at Magnolia Market offer plenty of choices for nutritious and fulfilling meals. He dislikes the popular healthy breakfast of avocado toast.
Chip Gaines Favorite Things
- Sandwich – His signature recipe of Ham sandwich with Swiss cheese and Horse-radish Mayo
- Meal Of The Day – Breakfast
- Meal – Chicken fried steak
- Ice-cream Flavor – Rocky road
- Handy Tools – Square layout tool, 5-in1 paint scraper, pocket flashlight, stain blocking primer
- Power Tool – Chainsaw
- Place To Shop – Auctions (This is also his guilty pleasure.)
- Room In His House – His sons’ bedroom
Source – AllCreated.com, The List, Better Homes & Gardens, Wacoan.com, HGTV
Chip Gaines Facts
- Chip’s first venture was a lawn mowing business which he started in his sophomore year followed by a wash and fold business.
- For a brief period, he sold firecrackers on a roadside stand.
- He flipped his first property after finishing college in 1998 by investing the savings from his earlier entrepreneurial projects. Chip sold the renovated property after 6 months and the profit he made was equal to his year’s earnings from his first business.
- During the first 2 years of his marriage, Chip was constantly nagged by his father-in-law to get a real job. He was so broke that Joanna could shop for essential utilities only using whatever wad of cash he carried in his pocket. The couple renovated properties together on a shoe-string budget and often fell behind on payments to suppliers.
- Living in and maintaining a 40-acre farmhouse was Chip’s secret passion inspired by his grandfather’s ownership of a ranch in Wichita Falls.
- His farm has cows, chicken, pigs, goats, turkeys, horses, and dogs. Chip gets up at 4 am every morning to tend to them.
- Despite their high net worth, Chip and Joanna avoid using hired help at their home.
- Farm chores and construction work are physically exhausting but Chip not only finds them therapeutic but also believes that engaging in them gives him a perpetual feeling of a recess.
- After shooting their Fixer Upper pilot, the production company was impressed to see that Chip and Jo had a really high threshold for chaos which became a source of great content for all the future episodes.
- Chip and Jo do not own a television. They used to watch episodes of their own show at their friend’s house during date nights.
- He used to gift Magnolia blooms to Joanna in the early months of their courtship period which became a symbol of inspiration for them as a couple. Chip likes to plant a Magnolia tree in front of every home he renovates and Magnolia trees surround the retail locations as well.
- Joanna nearly ended her relationship with Chip after 6 months of dating because he left her in charge of his then poorly managed business to deal with angry customers and bounced checks while he attended a 3-month Spanish immersion program in Mexico. Chip had to cut his trip short after 2 weeks.
- Chip’s secret talent is that he can juggle and likes to give elaborate speeches like a coach in a locker-room.
- He is a co-author of the book The Magnolia Table (2016) and the author of the national bestseller, Capital Gaines: Smart Things I Learned doing Stupid Stuff (2017).
- Visit the official website of Chip’s enterprise, Magnolia @ magnolia.com.
- Follow Chip Gaines on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Chip Gaines / Instagram