|Cyndi Lauper Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||June 22, 1953|
Cyndi Lauper is an American singer, songwriter, actress, and activist. She started her career by releasing her debut album She’s So Unusual in 1983. The album had lots of hit singles in it such as Girls Just Want to Have Fun and Time After Time. She later won the Grammy Awards as “Best New Artist” for her excellent singing abilities in 1984. Apart from winning the Grammys, Cyndi Lauper has also bagged several awards including MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs), New York’s Outer Critics Circle, Billboard Awards, American Music Awards (AMAs), Emmys, and Tonys Awards.
Cyndi is known for her very flamboyant dressing styles and very colorful hair clothing, which got her bullied a lot when she was much younger. She has become an icon all over the world and has sold more than 50 million albums and 20 million singles. She also does humanitarian work and supports the LGBT movement, forming organizations and singing songs dedicated to LGBT individuals finding peace in the turbulent world. Her distinctive attributes and overwhelming success have caused her to be celebrated all over the world.
Cynthia Ann Stephanie Lauper
New York City, New York, United States
Cyndi Lauper’s attended Richmond Hill High School in Richmond Hill, Queens, New York City, United States but she was later expelled. Later on, after obtaining her GED, she attended Johnson State College in Johnson, Vermont, United States.
Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Activist
- Father – Fred Lauper
- Mother – Catrine (née Gallo)
- Siblings – Fred Lauper (Younger Brother), and Ellen Lauper (Older Sister)
- Others – Alfred Lauper (Paternal Grandfather), Marie Graff (Paternal Grandmother)
Cyndi Lauper is managed by –
- David Wolff (Manager)
- So What Arts Management and Media, Inc. (Talent Agency), New York, United States.
- International Creative Management (ICM) (Talent Management Company), Los Angeles, New York, United States.
New wave, Pop, Rock, Synthpop, Blues, Soul
Vocals, Guitar, Ukulele
Portrait, Epic, Daylight, Downtown, Sire
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
52 kg or 114.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Cyndi Lauper has dated –
- David Wolff (1982-1988) – Cyndi Lauper began dating David Wolff in 1982. Later on, she noted that her relationship with Dave was largely ruined by their differing views on where her career should go. She said that business snuck into their relationship and ruined it. He wanted her to record pop hits and stay with her current image but she was not happy with this, being more concerned with artistic efforts and making a statement. In 1988, while Lauper’s album, A Night To Remember (1989) was undergoing some changes, they met in his New York office and agreed to end it. It was implied by his comments that she was the one who officially decided they should no longer see each other. The split was hard on Cyndi that she almost ended her career, and the album flopped with only one #1 hit, I Drove All Night. She took time off and went onto making movies. She played a role in Off and Running in 1991.
- David Thornton (1989-Present) – David Thornton is an American actor who is known for his roles in John Q, Home Alone 3, Law & Order, and The Notebook. David Thornton met Cyndi Lauper, fell in love with her and married her 3 years after she broke up with David Wolff on November 24, 1991.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Swiss-German and German ancestry on her father’s side and Sicilian Italian ancestry on her mother’s side.
- Colorful hairstyles
- Eccentric clothing
Cyndi Lauper has done endorsement work for brands such as –
- Dominoes Pizza (Japan)
- Dr. Pepper
- Sticklets Gum
- Trivial Pursuit Totally ’80s edition board game
Best Known For
- Winning awards at the Grammys, Emmys, Tonys, the New York’s Outer Critics Circle, MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs), Billboard Awards, and American Music Awards (AMAs)
- Her powerful and distinctive four-octave singing range
- Her humanitarian work, particularly as an advocate for LGBT rights in the United States
Cyndi Lauper released her album She’s So Unusual in 1983. Her debut solo album broke many records including becoming the first female debut album to produce 4 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 Top 5. Those singles included; Girls Just Want to Have Fun, All Through the Night, Time After Time, and She Bop.
Cyndi Lauper made her theatrical film debut in an uncredited role in the movie Girls Just Want to Have Fun in 1985.
Later in 1988, she made an appearance in the movie Vibes in a credited role of Sylvia Pickel.
First TV Show
Cyndi Lauper made her first TV show appearance as herself (singer) in the TV series An Evening at the Improv in 1982.
Cyndi Lauper Favorite Things
- Instrument – Ukulele
Source – Instagram
Cyndi Lauper Facts
- She has sold more than 50 million albums and 20 million singles.
- Cyndi Lauper is very supportive of LGBT rights and fights for equality because she feels that everyone deserves equal opportunities and equal chances of living. Her elder sister who she cherishes and regards as her role model is a lesbian. They’ve both shown support for each other since they were very young.
- In 2013, Cyndi Lauper was celebrated for all the humanitarian and charity works she has been doing and invited on the second term inauguration ceremony of President Barack Obama, the United States President.
- Her stand and role in rock and roll changed the way women were seen. She opened the door for several other female artists to come through and take their stand at the top. Some of these artists include Lady Gaga, Vanessa Paradis, Katy Perry, and Yelli.
- She’s well known as a feminist idol.
- Her song True Colors is regarded as an LGBT anthem.
- She has psoriasis which affects her skin. She doesn’t hide her condition from the public.
- Cyndi lived in a railroad style apartment throughout her teenage years.
- Even though she was from a broken family, she listened to music and loved singing. She began writing songs at a tender age of 12 and learned how to play the guitar.
- Cyndi Lauper’s parents got divorced at a very early age. Her mother later remarried but got divorced again.
- She ran away from home at the age of 17 because of her wicked stepfather. She had to live in the woods with her dog for weeks.
- Cyndi was bullied in school and had rocks thrown at her because she was very different in her manners of dressing. She was called a freak.
- Cyndi was first in a band known as Blue Angel, but they broke up not too long after.
- She has had several problems with her vocal cords, which are usually resolved after some time.
- She once worked as a waitress but quit because she was s*xually harassed by the manager.
- Cyndi started by singing cover songs as a vocalist for bands. She didn’t quite enjoy singing cover songs, so she quit.
- Cyndi was born into a Catholic family.
- Follow Cyndi Lauper on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Featured Image by Cyndi Lauper / Instagram