|Cynthia Nixon Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||April 9, 1966|
Cynthia Nixon is a well-known actress and social activist known for portraying various important roles in TV shows and films like Sex and the City, Amadeus, The Manhattan Project, and The Only Living Boy in New York. She is a prominent figure and an advocate for the LGBT rights in the United States. Starting at the age of 12, Nixon has made her way through the film and television industries and has also been a part of various Broadway shows. She has a huge social media fan base with more than 600k followers on Instagram.
Cynthia Ellen Nixon
New York City, New York, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Nixon went to Hunter College Elementary School. She later got enrolled at the Hunter College High School and graduated in 1984.
Cynthia attended a women’s liberal arts college named Barnard College and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in arts. She also got the opportunity to study abroad for a semester with a study-abroad program, Semester at Sea.
Actress, Social Activist
- Father – Walter E. Nixon Jr. (Radio Journalist) (Died in 1998)
- Mother – Anne Elizabeth (Actress) (Died in 2013)
- Siblings – None
- Others – Walter Elmer Nixon Sr. (Paternal Grandfather), Grace Truman McCormack (Paternal Grandmother), Adolph O. Knoll (Maternal Grandfather), Elta/Etta Elizabeth Williams (Maternal Grandmother)
Cynthia is represented by Innovative Artists.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Cynthia has dated –
- Danny Mozes (1988-2003) – Cynthia started dating a schoolteacher named Danny Mozes in 1988. The duo has 2 children together – a daughter named Samantha (b. November 1996) and a son named Charles Ezekiel (b. December 2002). Cynthia and Danny separated in 2003.
- Christine Marinoni (2004-Present) – Christine Marinoni is an education activist whom Cynthia started dating in 2004. Their romance flourished and they got engaged in April 2009. They got married on May 27, 2012, in New York City. Later, Christine gave birth to a son named Max Ellington in 2011.
Race / Ethnicity
Cynthia has English and German ancestry with some parts of Scottish, Irish, Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, and Welsh ancestry and some distant roots in Dutch and French Huguenot.
She often tends to dye her hair ‘red’.
Cynthia has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Buick (Print ad) in 2003
- 7-Up Plus (TV Commercial) in 2005, with Kristin Davis
- FreshDirect (TV Commercial) in 2006
- TV commercials to raise awareness for cancer research in 2008
- Stand Up 2 Cancer.org and AMGEN (Print Ads) in 2012 to promote infection risk awareness for patients undergoing cancer treatments
Best Known For
- Playing the role of Miranda Hobbes in the HBO series Sex and the City from 1998 to 2004
- Being cast as Emily Dickinson in the biographical movie A Quiet Passion in 2016
- Her socio-political activities
Cynthia made her theatrical film debut as Sunshine in the movie Little Darlings in 1980.
First TV Show
She made her TV show debut as a party guest in the series, Emergency! in 1974, but her part went uncredited.
Her first credited TV show appearance was made in 1979 in the episode Seven Wishes of a Rich Kid of the series, ABC Afterschool Specials.
Cynthia usually focuses on eating a healthy diet and maintaining an active lifestyle. Although she loves gorging on spicy food, she tries to keep them at bay when she has a big thing planned out for the coming days.
She also revealed in an interview that she practices yoga but as it is a bit time consuming, she shifts to slow-burn exercises whenever she’s running short of time as they are very time effective.
Cynthia Nixon Favorite Things
- Thing To Make – Soup
- NYC Restaurants – Jack’s Wife Freda, L’Artusi, Taboon, and Hearth
Source – The New Potato
Cynthia Nixon Facts
- She is a Democratic and is also actively involved in politics.
- Cynthia started taking up acting jobs to get through her years in college.
- She has been a part of many Broadway shows and has also founded the off-Broadway theatrical troupe Drama Dept. along with Sara Jessica Parker.
- Nixon met her wife Christine Marinoni during a gay rights rally in 2002.
- For her character, Miranda Hobbes, in Sex and the City, Cynthia won an Emmy award in 2004.
- At the age of 12, Cynthia appeared in a game show, To Tell the Truth where her mother was already working.
- Cynthia revealed in June 2018 that her oldest child, Samantha, is transgender.
- She is a breast cancer survivor and has since been a breast cancer activist.
- She publicly came out as a bisexual in 2012.
- Visit her official website @ cynthiafornewyork.com.
- Follow her on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured Image by Nick Step / Flickr / CC BY-2.0