|Daler Mehndi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6½ in|
|Date of Birth||August 18, 1967|
Daler Mehndi is an Indian singer, songwriter, author, and record producer who has successfully contributed to making Bhangra popular on a global level. He is best known for his tracks like Tunak Tunak Tun, Bolo Ta Ra Ra, Ho Jayegi Balle Balle, and Dardi Rab Rab.
Daler Mehndi, Sardar of Swing, King of Bhangra, Indian King of Pop
Patna, Bihar, India
Daler Mehndi received formal music training from his guru Ustad Raahat Ali Khan Saheb of Gorakhpur.
Singer, Songwriter, Author, Record Producer
- Father – Ajmer Singh (Classical musician who used to sing kirtans in Patna Sahib Gurdwara)
- Mother – Balbir Kaur
- Siblings – Mika Singh (Younger Brother) (Rapper, Singer, Composer, Producer, Performer, Television Personality, Actor), Shamsher Singh (Brother; Died in 2017), Amarjeet Singh (Older Brother) (Died in 2018). Daler Mehndi has 2 more brothers.
- Others – Navraj Hans (Son-In-Law, Ajit Kaur Mehndi’s Husband) (Singer, Actor, Entrepreneur, Cricket Player, Performer)
Bhangra, Indi-pop, Folk, Rock, Pop
5 ft 6½ in or 169 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Daler Mehndi has dated –
- Amarjeet Mehndi – He was previously married to Amarjeet Mehndi.
- Taranpreet Kaur – Daler Mehndi is married to singer, entrepreneur, and architect Taranpreet Kaur.
Note – He has 4 children – a son named Gurdeep Mehndi and 3 daughters named Ajit Kaur Mehndi, Prabhjot Kaur Mehndi, and Rabaab Kaur Mehndi.
Race / Ethnicity
- Wears a bejeweled Turban at every performance
- Frequently seen wearing heavy amounts of jewelry
Daler Mehndi Facts
- He formed a group in 1991 and it included his brothers, cousins, and friends.
- On January 23, 1995, Daler Mehndi released his debut album titled Bolo Ta Ra Ra.. and it became the biggest selling non-film music Indian pop album.
- His 2nd album Dardi Rab Rab came out in 1996 and it surpassed the sales of Bolo Ta Ra Ra.
- Daler Mehndi’s iconic track Tunak Tunak Tun was released in 1998 and it was the first Indian music video made using chroma key technology. The song peaked at #22 on the Billboard World Digital Songs Sales Chart.
- He launched the “Daler Mehndi Green Drive” in 1998 and the drive has planted more than 1.2 million saplings in and around Delhi.
- Along with 6 others, he was accused in 2003 of cheating people of large sums of money by falsely promising to take them to America.
- Daler Mehndi was sentenced to 2 years in prison by the Patiala Court in a human trafficking case in March 2018. Following his arrest after the registration of the case, he was released on bail after a few days.
- On April 26, 2019, he joined Bharatiya Janata Party.
- Over the years, Daler Mehndi has been a part of several movies like Singh Is King, Rang De Basanti, Uri: The Surgical Strike, Baahubali 2: The Conclusion, Soorma, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, Goreyan Nu Daffa Karo, Hum Do Hamare Do, Atrangi Re, I Am Singh, Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum, Joker, Mirzya, Aravinda Sametha Veera Raghava, Yamla Pagla Deewana, Khatta Meetha, Money Hai To Honey Hai, and Maqbool.
- In 2022, he bought land in Metaverse and named it ‘Balle Balle Land’. On the occasion of the Holi festival in 2022, on this land, he started selling merchandise as NFTs and physical goods that would be delivered to the customer’s house.
- He was arrested in July 2022 for the 19-year-old case of human trafficking. Patiala Court had given him 2 years of imprisonment. A case was registered against him and his brother Shamsher in 2003 for illegally sending people abroad. Both of them were sentenced to 2 years of jail in 2018. However, they were subsequently released on bail. In September 2022, Punjab and Haryana High Court suspended Daler’s 2 years of jail term and hence gave him relief.
Featured Image by Daler Mehndi / Instagram