|Dan Rather Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||October 31, 1931|
|Spouse||Jean Grace Goebel|
Dan Rather is an American journalist and news anchor who became a national name after his reporting on Hurricane Carla in 1961 for KHOU-TV in Houston in Texas saved thousands of lives. He has worked as a CBS news anchor for more than 2 decades and he has been one of the most respected correspondents for several other top television news programs including 60 Minutes (1975–81, 2005–2006). He has been the recipient of numerous awards and honors such as the Emmy Trustees Award in 2014 for “Lifetime Achievement”.
Dan Irvin Rather Jr.
Wharton, Texas, United States
New York City, New York and Austin, Texas in the United States
He attended Lovett Elementary School and Hamilton Middle School in Houston. He then went to John H. Reagan High School also in Houston, graduating in 1950. After that, he enrolled in Sam Houston State Teachers College in Huntsville (later known as Sam Houston State University) and acquired a bachelor’s degree in Journalism in 1953. He then attended South Texas College of Law in Houston for a brief period.
Journalist, News Presenter, Reporter & Correspondent
- Father – Daniel Irvin Rather Sr. (Ditch digger & Oil pipeliner)
- Mother – Byrl Veda (Page) Rather
He is represented by News and Guts.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
He has dated –
- Jean Grace Goebel (1957-Present) – He tied the knot with Jean Goebel on April 21, 1957. They have a daughter named Robin and a son named Dan.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of English and Scottish descent.
- Sharp features
- Cleft chin
Dan Rather Favorite Things
- Hobby – Watching the news on television that is almost an addiction, being regular with the mainstream and traditional media evening newscasts like NBC, ABC and CBS
- TV Journalists / Hosts – Rachel Maddow, Don Lemon, Chris Matthews, Jake Tapper
Source – Vulture
Dan Rather Facts
- He was drawn to journalism early on in his life by getting influenced by his father’s interest in reading and the news. During his childhood, he used to listen to radio broadcasts regularly and with immense enthusiasm.
- In the 1980s, he used to sign off his news broadcasts with the word “Courage”. He has revealed that it meant something very personal to him despite the fact that he hardly had it in his heart, as it was the favorite word of his father as well as his paternal grandfather.
- Rather was the 1st reporter on network television to announce the assassination of the 35th president of the United States, John F. Kennedy.
- He has written several critically acclaimed books and memoirs such as The American Dream: Stories from the Heart of Our Nation (2001) and Rather Outspoken: My Life in the News (2013).
- Rather has been played by Robert Redford in the political docudrama film Truth (2015).
- He was the first guest to appear on Late Show with David Letterman on September 17, 2001, after the tragedy that occurred on September 11, 2001, and he burst into tears twice when he attempted to describe the attacks.
Featured Image by Dan Rather / Instagram