Dan + Shay is an American country music duo which was the brainchild of musicians Dan Smyers and Shay Mooney. Over the years, they have released many albums and tracks including Where It All Began, Dan + Shay, Obsessed, Nothin’ Like You, From the Ground Up, Road Trippin’, All to Myself, Speechless, When I Pray for You, and 10,000 Hours. Moreover, the duo has also accumulated a successful fan base on social media with more than 1.5 million followers on Instagram, more than 800k followers on Twitter, more than 1.5 million subscribers on YouTube, and more than 500k followers on Facebook.
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Country, Country Pop
First Headlining Tour
Dan + Shay‘s first headlining tour, Where It All Began Tour, began in the year 2014.
Dan + Shay has released several awards-winning tracks and albums and has also collaborated with a number of artists like Justin Bieber, Kelly Clarkson, Lindsey Stirling, and RaeLynn. The band’s first studio album, Where It All Began, was released on April 1, 2014, via Warner Bros. Nashville and comprised of songs such as 19 You + Me, Show You Off, Somewhere Only We Know, Parking Brake, What You Do to Me, and Nothin’ Like You. The album was also ranked at number #1 in the US Top Country Albums (Billboard) chart, at number #6 in the US Billboard 200 chart, and at number #12 in the Canadian Albums (Billboard) charts as well as certified “Gold” by United States (RIAA).
Dan + Shay Facts
- The duo came into existence after Shay Mooney and Dan Smyers met each other in Nashville, Tennessee on December 7, 2012.
- Before Dan + Shay, Mooney used to work as a solo artist under Nappy Boy Entertainment which is a label by the popular rapper, singer, songwriter, and record producer, T-Pain.
- Previously, Smyers used to work with musical groups such as Bonaventure and Transition.
- Dan + Shay released it’s first single, 19 You + Me, in October 2013 and it received a very positive response from the audience as it charted at number #7 in the US Hot Country Songs (Billboard) chart and at number #11 in the US Country Airplay (Billboard) chart. For this song, the duo also won the 2015 ASCAP Country Music Award for “Most Performed Songs”.
- The duo worked alongside singer and YouTuber, Lindsey Stirling, on the song Those Days from her 3rd studio album titled Brave Enough which was released on August 19, 2016.
- Dan + Shay collaborated with the Canadian singer, songwriter, and actor, Justin Bieber, in 2019 and together they released the song, 10,000 Hours, on October 4, 2019, just 4 days after the wedding of Bieber and Hailey Baldwin.
- The song, 10,000 Hours, became the highest-charting non-holiday country song in the history of Billboard’s Streaming Songs chart and also topped the US Hot Country Songs (Billboard) chart, US Country Airplay (Billboard) chart, and Canada Country (Billboard) chart. Also, it was certified “2× Platinum” by Canada (Music Canada), “Platinum” by United States (RIAA), and “Gold” by both Brazil (Pro-Música Brasil) as well as New Zealand (RMNZ).
- In April 2014, Dan + Shay appeared in an episode titled Your Good Girl’s Gonna Go Bad of the 2nd season of the musical drama television series, Nashville.
- The duo has also appeared on a couple of other shows which include the likes of The Bachelorette, Live! with Kelly, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Late Night with Seth Meyers, E! Live from the Red Carpet, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Dancing with the Stars, and The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
Feature Image by Jana Beamer / Flickr / CC BY 2.0