|Daphne Rubin-Vega Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||November 18, 1969|
Daphne Rubin-Vega is a Panamanian-American dancer, singer, songwriter, and actress who has acted in films such as Wild Things (1998), S*x and the City (2008), and Jack Goes Boating (2010). She is best known for originating the character of Mimi Marquez in the Broadway musical Rent and Lucy in the Off-Broadway play Jack Goes Boating. She is also well recognized for portraying characters such as Agnes in the 2nd season of the musical drama TV series Smash (2012) and Luisa Lopez in the musical comedy-drama TV series Katy Keene (2020). In addition to her acting career, she was the lead singer for the Latin freestyle group Pajama Party (1988-1992). As a solo artist, she had recorded tracks that had topped the dance music/club play charts in 1996 and 2003. In 2001, she had recorded her debut solo full-length rock album titled Souvenirs which was never officially released. In October 2006, she had released her 2nd full-length album titled Redemption Songs.
Panama City, Panama
New York City, New York, United States
She holds dual nationality.
Dancer, Singer, Songwriter, Actress
- Father – José Mercedes Vega (Carpenter)
- Mother – Daphine Corina (Nurse) (d. 1979)
- Others – Leonard Rubin (Stepfather) (Writer)
Latin Freestyle, R&B, Dance, Pop, Rock
- Mercury Records
- Sh-K Boom Records
- Atlantic Recording Corporation
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Daphne has dated –
- Tommy Costanzo (2002-Present) – Daphne had married real estate agent Thomas ‘Tommy’ Costanzo in September 2002. They have a son together named Luca Ariel Constanzo (b. December 5, 2004).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Panamanian descent.
- Petite frame
- Center-parted, shoulder-length, wavy hair
- Affable smile
- Radiant face
- Has a mole under her left eye
Daphne Rubin-Vega Facts
- Born in Panama City, Panama, Daphne had moved to the United States with her family when she was 2 years old.
- She had studied theater at the New Labyrinth Theater Company, a non-profit, Off-Broadway theater company in New York City, and William Esper Studio Inc., a training institution for the performing arts in Manhattan, New York. She had also undergone acting training at the Michael Howard Studios, an acting studio in New York City. After this, she had performed with a comedy group called El Barrio USA.
- While performing there, she had landed an audition for a new Broadway musical called Rent. She was later selected to play the role of Mimi Marquez, a 19-year-old, HIV-positive heroin addict who works as an exotic dancer. Although she was not a fan of musical plays, she had taken up the role as she felt that it could turn her career around.
- She had developed that role all the way to its Broadway premiere and her performance had earned her a Tony Award nomination in the category of ‘Best Actress in a Musical’. She had also won the Theatre World Award in 1996 for the same.
- Daphne had left the cast of the musical in April 1997 and was unable to participate in the film adaptation of Rent because she was pregnant at the time of the film’s casting and shooting.
Featured Image by Daphne Rubin-Vega / Instagram