|Daryl Morey Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||September 14, 1972|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Daryl Morey is an American basketball executive who served as general manager for the Houston Rockets from 2007 to 2020. He has also served as the president of basketball operations of the Philadelphia 76ers of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
Baraboo, Sauk County, Wisconsin, United States
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Daryl Morey studied at Highland High School, a public high school located in Granger Township, Ohio. After graduation, he enrolled at Northwestern University and earned a bachelor’s degree in computer science with an emphasis on statistics in 1996.
After that, he received an MBA degree from the MIT Sloan School of Management (the business school of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology).
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
100 kg or 220.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Daryl Morey has dated –
- Ellen Morey – He is married to Ellen Morey and the duo has been blessed with a daughter named Karen Morey.
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and Pepper
- Receding hairline
- Deep-set eyes
Daryl Morey Facts
- In 1992, he started his career with STATS, Inc., a pioneer sports data firm. Noted baseball writer, historian, and statistician Bill James has also worked there and Daryl Morey became the first to adapt James’ Pythagorean expectation to professional basketball.
- Daryl Morey was the one to find that using 13.91 for the exponents provided an acceptable model for predicting won-lost percentages. Morey’s “Modified Pythagorean Theorem” was first published in STATS Basketball Scoreboard, 1993–94.
- He was an employee at EY-Parthenon (a leading strategy consulting firm) in 2000. He resigned from his job in 2002 and became senior vice president of operations for the Boston Celtics. His responsibilities included setting ticket prices and developing analytical methods and technology to enhance basketball decisions related to the draft, trades, free agency, and advance scouting of opponents for the coaching staff.
- On April 3, 2006, Daryl Morey was named Houston Rockets‘ assistant general manager by the team’s owner Leslie Alexander. The following year on May 10, he became the team’s general manager, succeeding Carroll Dawson.
- Along with Houston Rockets, he acquired now-All-Star and 2017-18 league MVP James Harden via trade from the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- In 2018, he was named the NBA Executive of the Year.
- Daryl Morey was criticized by Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta after he tweeted in support of the 2019–2020 Hong Kong protests on October 4, 2019.
- It was announced by the Houston Rockets on October 15, 2020, that Morey would step down as general manager on November 1, 2020. He then confirmed the news of his departure in a full-page ad in the Houston Chronicle on October 18, 2020.
- Daryl Morey was named as president of basketball operations for the Philadelphia 76ers on November 2, 2020.
- An avid Esports supporter, he has attended MLG (Major League Gaming) events and was part owner of Clutch Gaming (the Houston, Texas-based League of Legends Championship Series eSports team).
- He has served as the co-chairperson for the annual MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.
- Daryl Morey has a passion for musical theater and commissioned and produced the basketball-themed musical titled Small Ball. It opened at the Catastrophic Theater in Houston, Texas in April 2018.
Featured Image by Morbidthoughts / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0