Diego Armando Maradona
El Diez, Diegote, Pelusa, Dieguito, D10S, Barrilete, Cósmico, El 10, El Pibe de Oro
Lanús, Buenos Aires, Argentina
The information about Diego Maradona’s formal education isn’t available.
However, he began his soccer education at an amateur club Estrella Roja. Eventually, he was spotted by a talent scout working for the Argentine giants Argentinos Juniors. At the age of 8, he was selected in the junior team of Buenos Aires based club, which was better known as Los Cebollitas (The Little Onions).
Former Professional Soccer Player, Manager, Spiritual Coach, Television Personality
- Father – Diego Maradona “Chitoro”
- Mother – Dalma Salvadora Franco ‘Doña Tota’
- Siblings – Rita Maradona (Sister), Anna Maria Maradona (Sister), Elsa Maradona (Sister), Maria Rose Maradona (Sister), Claudia Maradona (Sister), Raúl Maradona (Brother) (Former Soccer Professional Player), Hugo Maradona (Brother) (Former Soccer Professional Player, Soccer Coach)
He was formerly represented by Jon Smith.
However, later his ex-wife Claudia started representing him.
Attacking Midfielder, Support Striker
He wore #10 shirt while playing for Boca Juniors, Barcelona, Argentina National team, and Napoli.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Diego Maradona dated –
- Lucía Galán (1982-1983) – Diego Maradona started going out with singer Lucía Galán in 1982 just after securing his move to Barcelona. However, this affair frizzled out in 1983, when Maradona expressed his wish to return to his former girlfriend Claudia.
- Claudia Villafañe (1981-2004) – Maradona and Claudia were childhood sweethearts and were rumored to have met at a private party. Maradona had put this relationship on hold in 1982 after moving to Barcelona. However, they eventually united and got married on November 7, 1984. Their first daughter Dalma Nerea was born on April 2, 1987 and second daughter, Gianinna Dinorah was born on May 16, 1989. Diego remained unfaithful to Claudia even after getting married and they eventually divorced in 2004.
- Cristina Sinagra (1985) – Diego had fling with Cristina in 1985. Maradona, who was playing for Napoli met Cristina at a golf tournament. The fling resulted in birth of a son, Diego Junior, whom Maradona met for the first time in 2003.
- Valeria Sabalain (1995) – Diego met Valeria in 1995 in a nightclub, where she used to work as a barwoman. They had a very short lived fling, which resulted in a daughter, Jana. Valeria filed a paternity suit in 2007 against Maradona, which she eventually won.
- Silvina Luna (2005) – After separating from Claudia, Maradona had a brief affair with Argentine actress Silvina Luna. Although they never confirmed their relationship in press, they were still spotted getting close at number of parties.
- Veronica Ojeda (2013) – Veronica and Diego started dating each other in 2013 after meeting through mutual friends. Veronica gave birth to Diego’s youngest child, a boy in 2013. However, Diego didn’t even bother to turn up for Veronica’s delivery.
- Rocio Oliva (2013-Present) – Diego started dating Rocio Oliva, a former soccer player in 2013. It was rumored that at the same time, he was sleeping with Veronica. In February 2014, they got engaged in Rome on the eve of Valentine’s Day.
Race / Ethnicity
- Trimmed Beard
- Long Curly Locks
- Rotund Belly
- Numerous Tattoos
Diego Maradona’s body specification may be –
- Chest – 42 in or 107 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 14 in or 35.5 cm
- Waist – 37 in or 94 cm
Diego has a long standing brand endorsement deal with Puma.
In 2010, he was signed on by the luxury watch brand, Hublot as a brand ambassador.
Later, he signed a deal with Indian jewelry brand, Chemmanur International Jewellers.
Best Known For
- Being one of best soccer players.
- Leading Argentina to the World Cup glory.
- His legendary status with Napoli and Argentina fans.
- His infamous hand of God goal against England in 1986 World Cup quarter final win
First Soccer Match
Maradona played his professional match for Argentinos Juniors on October 20, 1976, just ten days before his 16th birthday.
He made his debut for the Boca Juniors on February 22, 1981 against Talleres de Córdoba. He went on to score twin in 4-1 victory.
On February 27, 1977, he made his international debut for Argentina in a friendly match against Hungary.
On September 16, 1984, he made his first appearance for the Italian club Napoli against Hellas Verona in a 3-1 away loss.
- Long Shots
- Free Kicks
- Ball Control
- Lack of focus
- Poor discipline
As an actor, he made his first film appearance in musical comedy Qué linda es mi familia! as himself in 1980.
First TV Show
Apart from soccer matches, his first TV appearance was in comedy show Supermingo in 1986 in the very first three episodes.
Diego Maradona’s workout routine and diet plan isn’t known.
You can have a look at his football skills in this video –
Diego Maradona Favorite Things
- Players – Rivelino and George Best
- Team – Boca Juniors
Diego Maradona Facts
- His second goal against England in the quarter final of 1986 World Cup, which involved dribbling past five players over 66 yards, was declared the goal of the century by voters on FIFA.com in 2002.
- When he was 12 years old, he used to showcase his skills and tricks with ball during the halftime break of the Argentine first division matches.
- Such was his love for Boca Juniors that he rejected River Plate’s offer to make him the highest paid player at the age of 21, when he was leaving Argentinos Juniors.
- He was the first Barcelona player to get ovation from fierce rival Real Madrid’s fans at Santiago Bernabéu stadium. Only Ronaldinho and Iniesta are other players to get this respect.
- When he moved to Napoli in July 1984, his transfer fees of $10.48 million made him the most expensive player in the world at that time.
- During his time in Naples, he led his club to two Serie A titles, which have been the only league titles they have won in their history.
- Diego Maradona holds the record of being the highest goal scorer for Napoli. He scored 115 goals across all competitions for the club.
- In 2000, he was declared FIFA player of the century and was included in FIFA World Cup all-time team in 1994.
- He won the coveted world soccer player of the year award in 1986.
- He holds the distinction of being declared Argentine Football Writers’ Footballer of the Year on four occasions – 1979, 1980, 1981 and 1986.
- You can connect with Diego Maradona on Facebook.
- Visit his official website @ www.diegomaradonagroup.com.