|Domenico Dolce Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||August 13, 1958|
Domenico Dolce is an Italian fashion designer whose name is synonymous with high-end luxury fashion. His partnership with fellow designer Stefano Gabbana since the 1980s has given rise to one of the most influential fashion brands in recent times. The ‘D&G’ brand is known for its edgy and provocative style that takes influence from the glamorous past and infuses a touch of modernity to create long-lasting designs. Though his fashion is anything but conventional, Dolce has been called out on his old-fashioned views and, as a result, his brand has come under fire on several occasions.
Domenico Mario Assunto Dolce
Polizzi Generosa, Sicily, Italy
Milan, Lombardy, Italy
Domenico studied at the Istituto Marangoni, a private school for fashion and design, in Milan. But, he left before completing his graduation as he felt confident enough to pursue a career in the fashion industry.
- Father – Saverio Dolce (Tailor)
- Mother – Rosaria Dolce (Vendor of fabrics and apparel)
- Siblings – Alfonso Dolce (Brother) (CEO of the D&G brand)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Domenico has dated –
- Stefano Gabbana (1985-2005) – Dolce met fellow designer Stefano Gabbana in the early 1980s at a night club in Milan. Initially, both the teenagers worked for designer Giorgio Correggiari but they left in 1985 to launch their signature brand D&G. Although they each have a distinct creative expression, their shared love for fashion brought them together. They were a couple for 20 years before deciding to end their romantic alliance. Even after their split, they continued to work together as business partners and still share a deep friendship.
- Guilherme Siqueira (2015-Present) – Since 2015, Domenico has been dating Guilherme Siqueira, a Brazilian advertising executive with deep ties in the world of fashion and glamour. His much-younger boyfriend also serves as the global brand ambassador of his fashion house D&G.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Sicilian and Italian ancestry.
However, he has been bald since his youth.
Apart from promoting his own brand and products, Domenico is not known to have endorsed any other brand.
Best Known For
Being one of the founders of the Italian luxury fashion brand Dolce & Gabbana along with partner Stefano Gabbana
Domenico made his feature film debut in a minor role in the Italian romantic drama The Star Maker in 1995. The film was released in the United States in 1996.
First TV Show
In 2003, he made his TV show debut by appearing as himself on the Fashion Television.
Domenico Dolce Favorite Things
- Pop Artist – Madonna
- Furniture Designer – Giò Ponti
- Color – Black
- City – New York
- Italian Actor – Marcello Mastroianni
- Italian Films – The Leopard (1963), La Dolce Vita (1960), Scandal in Sorrento (1955), The Adventure (1960), Rome, Open City (1945), Cinema Paradiso (1988)
- Androgynous Muse – Madonna
- Beauty Products – Perfect Finish Creamy Foundation, Femme Fatale Eyeshadow quad, Secret Eyes Mascara, Stromboli eyeliner, D&G brushes
Domenico Dolce Facts
- As a young boy, Dolce dreamt of working for the fashion house giants Armani.
- In 2013, the Italian court had imposed a suspended sentence of 20 months in prison on Dolce and Gabbana on charges of tax evasion. The fashion duo failed to declare their revenue, earned in millions of euros, through their subsidy company Gado in Luxembourg. However, in October 2014, the appellate court repealed the sentence and cleared them of all wrongdoing.
- Dolce’s comments in Panorama magazine in March 2015 in connection to IVF generated a storm of backlash. In the interview, he criticized the invention of in vitro fertilization since it produces ‘synthetic children’. He went on to add that children should be born from a father and mother. One of the most severe reactions came from singer Elton John, who has used IVF to have kids with his husband David Furnish. They engaged in a battle of words with the singer demanding a boycott of the fashion brand and was met with a counter-boycott by the designer duo.
- Dolce and his partner found themselves in hot water again in November 2018, while launching 3 short videos in China to promote their upcoming Shanghai runway show. The videos were deemed extremely offensive and highlighted the stereotypical and racist views of the designers. Within hours, the show was canceled as many Chinese actors and models withdrew their names and Chinese consumers of the brand were seen boycotting the products. The duo finally issued an apology in a bid to pacify the outraged fans.
- Follow his brand Dolce & Gabbana on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured Image by Renan Katayama / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 2.0