|Donna Murphy Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||March 7, 1959|
Donna Murphy is an American actress and singer who is best known for her outstanding works in the field of musical theater. She has compiled various nominations and awards in her career including a Tony for “Best Actress in a Musical” which she won twice for the roles Fosca in Passion (1994-2005) and Anna Leonowens in The King and I (1996-1997).
Corona, Queens, New York, United States
She went to Masconomet Regional High School where she graduated in 1977. Although she made her way to college after attending New York University drama program, she later dropped out of school during her sophomore year.
Murphy also studied at the Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute.
- Father – Robert Murphy (Aerospace Engineer)
- Mother – Jeanne (née Fink)
- Others – Martin H. Murphy (Paternal Grandfather), Agnes Dietz (Paternal Grandmother)
She is represented by Innovative Artists, Talent Agency, Santa Monica, California, United States.
Pop, Soundtrack, Jazz
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Donna Murphy had dated –
- Shawn Elliott (1990-2016) – Donna Murphy and actor-singer Shawn Elliot got married in 1990. They were married for 26 long years until his death in March 2016. Murphy became the stepmother of Elliot’s 2 daughters and in 2005, their family welcomed another member after the couple adopted a daughter, named, Darmia Hope.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Irish, French, German, and Czech ancestry.
- Thin Eyebrows
- Plump Lips
- Defined Cheekbones
Donna Murphy Facts
- She asked for voice lessons at the age of 3.
- Donna dropped out of college after she was cast to understudy 3 backup singers for the 1979 Broadway musical called They’re Playing Our Song.
- She has appeared in many off-Broadway productions such as the musical Francis in 1981 at the York Theatre at St. Peter’s, The Mystery of Edwin Drood in 1985 at the Public Theater’s Delacorte Theatre, Birds of Paradise in 1987, Privates on Parade in 1989, the musical Song of Singapore in 1991, the Michael John LaChiusa musical Hello Again at the Lincoln Center Mitzi Newhouse Theater in 1993, Twelve Dreams at the Mitzi Newhouse Theater in 1995, and Helen at the Public Theater/New York Shakespeare Festival in 2002.
- In her filmography as an actress, she has appeared in various films and television shows including Star Trek: Insurrection, Spider-Man 2, The Fountain, The Nanny Diaries, Tangled, Higher Ground, The Bourne Legacy, NBC’s Another World, Lifestories: Families in Crisis, Liberty! The American Revolution, Murder One, Law & Order, Hack, Trust Me, and Quantico.
Featured Image by Drama League / Flickr / CC BY 2.0