|Édgar Ramírez Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||March 25, 1977|
Édgar Ramírez is a Venezuelan actor and producer who is best known for playing Carlos the Jackal in the French-German biographical film and television miniseries Carlos and Gianni Versace in the FX true crime anthology series The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. In addition to that, he has also been cast in many other shows and movies which include the likes of Cyrano Fernandez, Ser bonita no basta, Vantage Point, Cosita Rica, The Undoing, Saluda al Diablo de mi Parte, An Open Heart, The Bourne Ultimatum, Wrath of the Titans, Zero Dark Thirty, The Counselor, Che, Punto y Raya, The Libertador, Deliver Us from Evil, Point Break, Joy, The Last Days of American Crime, Hands of Stone, Gold, Yes Day, The Girl on the Train, Resistance, Bright, Furlough, The 355, La quietud, Wasp Network, Atenea y Afrodita, Domino, Yotama se va volando, and Jungle Cruise.
Édgar Ramírez Arellano
San Cristóbal, Táchira, Venezuela
- Visits home city, Caracas, Venezuela whenever he gets free from work obligations.
- Considers himself a global citizen.
- Formerly lived in Austria, Canada, England, United States, Colombia, and Venezuela.
- Lived in Panama for one year to transform himself into a boxer for Hands of Stone (2016).
- Visits Los Angeles and New York City so frequently for work that he almost feels like a local in these two US cities.
Édgar graduated from Andrés Bello Catholic University in Caracas, Venezuela with a degree in Audio-visual / Social communication.
- Father – Filiberto Ramírez (Military Diplomat)
- Mother – Soday Arellano (Attorney)
- Siblings – Nataly (Older Sister)
- Others – Enrique Alberto (Nephew), Maria Camilla (Niece)
Edgar has been signed with these agencies –
- Creative Artists Agency (CAA), formerly with WME.
- Jill Littman of Impression Entertainment Group
- Attorney Bob Wallerstein of Hirsch Wallerstein Hayum Matlof + Fishman
- Imprint PR, Public Relations Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
His net worth has been $8 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
Athletic, if an acting job demands it.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
The actor has managed to keep his personal life out of the tabloids since he travels all over the globe. He has been romantically linked with these ladies –
- Nereida Solis – Édgar was believed to be in a long-term, serious relationship with a woman named Nereida, although little information is available about her identity or their dating period.
- Jessica Chastain (2012) – Rumors were rife that Édgar and Jessica got extremely close on the sets of Zero Dark Thirty (2012). However, the actor’s friends did not provide any confirmation on the same. Jessica Chastain, on the other hand, married her Italian boyfriend in 2017, who, she revealed was quietly dating since 2012.
- Ana de Armas (2014–2016) – Édgar met his Hands of Stone (2016) co-star in 2014 and their frequent public appearance accompanied by a public display of affection promptly made everybody presume that they are in a relationship. The Cuban actress is frequently associated with different men so it is not clear if Édgar and Ana are still dating or have gone their separate ways.
Race / Ethnicity
Hispanic / Latino
Édgar’s parents are Venezuelan and possibly have Spanish or Portuguese ancestry.
- Ruggedly handsome
- Strong, broad jawline
- Prominent laugh lines
9 (US) or 8.5 (UK) or 42 (EU)
The actor was confirmed to commercially represent the following brands:
- Johnnie Walker (2014)
- Gap (2008)
- Édgar claims to be a man of faith who is deeply spiritual and believes in God but is not particularly religious.
- Brought up Roman Catholic.
Best Known For
- Playing Carlos, the Jackal in Carlos (2010) – Based on the real-life of a Venezuelan revolutionary, it was aired as a 3-part mini-series in France but shown as a 5 and half hours film at the Cannes Film festival.
- Édgar replaced Gerard Butler to play Bodhi in Point Break (2015), a remake of the 1991 cult favorite of the same name.
- Playing the main role of Gianni Versace in American Crime Story. This role won him the Satellite Award for “Best Cast – Television Series”.
Edgar’s first film was the Spanish film ¡Aquí espaantan! in which he played the role of Vendedor de videos in 1993.
First TV Show
In 1990, Edgar made his debut TV show appearance in Cuando llega el amor.
But, his first major role, as an actor, was playing El Cacique in 4 episodes of Cosita Rica in 2003.
- Édgar is a method actor who physically alters his body type to suit the next role he is scheduled to play.
- He did boot camp training for 2 months for his first Venezuelan movie role in 2004.
- He did weapons training and practiced accompanying drills with real Special Forces agents for Vantage Point (2008) and The Bourne Ultimatum (2007).
- Édgar took up heavy-weight training for Wrath of the Titans (2012) in which he was required to look like a muscular Greek God who wore heavy armor.
- He lost 20 pounds to play Panamanian box, Roberto Duran, in Hands of Stone (2016) and learned to fight in the slums of Panama where the actual boxer trained while living on a Paleo diet.
- For Point Break (2015), Édgar supplemented his boxing-related balance and core training with CrossFit, Power Pilates, and Yoga, so his body could quickly nail the elementary skills required for competent surfing, rock climbing, and snowboarding in the movie.
Édgar Ramírez Favorite Things
- Book – El Tunel by Ernesto Sábato
- Venezuelan Actors – Daniel Alvarado, Mariano Alvarez, Carlos Cruz, Beatriz Vásquez, Flavia Gleske, Marisa Román, Carlota Sosa
- Outdoor Activities – Swimming, Hiking, Karate
- Emotional Moment – Holding his nephew in his arms for the first time
- Food – Creole food and his grandmother’s Pisca Andina
- Perfume – Any fragrance of Hugo Boss
- Fragrance for Women – Dune
- Beverage – Coffee (Drinks 3 cups a day)
Source – Edgar’s Official Website
Édgar Ramírez Facts
- Edgar’s primary area of interest was International relations and hence he briefly served as a political journalist during college.
- After graduation, Édgar became the director of a Venezuelan foundation, Dale al Voto, which called for greater political inclusion of the youth in the country.
- Screenwriter Guillermo “Memo” Arriaga visited Édgar’s college when he was studying there and seeing his work in a short film, encouraged him to try his hand at acting by asking him to audition for his film.
- American Way Magazine labeled Édgar as the man with the eternal suitcase because he has lived and traveled all over the world since the age of 5, owing to his father’s career as a military diplomat.
- Édgar thinks being exposed to diverse cultures all over the globe is one of the reasons behind his success as an actor because he can make himself at home wherever he goes.
- Édgar feels emotionally attached to New York because he filmed 6 of his films in that city which was also the place where he turned 30.
- He claims to be a fan of the original Point Break (1991). He saw the movie when he was 13.
- He fluently speaks 5 languages, which are Spanish, German, English, French, and Italian.
- When researching a real-life personality for an acting role, Édgar often looks to meet family or friends of the character to understand the public perception of that celebrity.
- The actor proclaims he suffers from micropapelomania – a term coined by his friend to define his tendency to twist and fold any piece of paper to its smallest size possible.
- Édgar is very fond of watches. An expensive collection was formerly stolen from his house in Venezuela that also held a lot of meaning for him since he wore each of those pieces at important events in his life. Since then, he has recreated an even better collection.
- His grandfather was a tailor who along with world travel helped him develop a genuine appreciation of clothing and style.
- For his performance in the 2010 French-German biographical film and television miniseries Carlos, he won the César Award for “Most Promising Actor” as well as an award at the Monte-Carlo Television Festival for “Best Male Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie”. The role also got him nominated for Golden Globe Award for “Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film”, Primetime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie”, Screen Actors Guild Award for “Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie”, London Film Critics Circle Award for “Actor of the Year”, and Online Film Critics Society Award for “Best Actor”.
- He was declared a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF in 2010 and supported a Don’t Shoot (No Dispares) campaign by Amnesty International.
- Édgar also participates in several initiatives in favor of children with special needs.
- In August 2021, he revealed that his aunt, uncle, and several other family members and friends had passed away due to COVID-19.