|Eldhose Paul Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||November 7, 1996|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Eldhose Paul is an Indian track and field athlete who specializes in the triple jump event. In August 2022, he became the first Indian to win the ‘Gold’ medal in the men’s triple jump event at the Commonwealth Games. He struggled in his first 2 jumps there, registering distances of 14.62 m and 16.30 m, and was virtually out of medal contention. However, in his 3rd attempt, he crossed the 17-meter barrier for the first time in his career, recording a jump of 17.03 m to reach the number 1 position in the competition. He held on to this lead for the next 3 rounds to clinch the ‘Gold’ medal. A few weeks earlier, Eldhose had become the first Indian athlete to qualify for the final of the triple jump event at the World Athletics Championships.
Ernakulam, Kerala, India
Eldhose had attended the Krishnan Elayath Memorial High School in Alangad, a village in the Paravur Taluk (a local unit of administrative division) of Ernakulam District of Kerala.
He then studied at the Mar Athanasius College, a general degree college in Kothamangalam, a municipality in the Ernakulam district. He was pursuing an arts degree there but left the college midway to join the Indian Navy in 2016.
Track and Field Athlete
- Father – Kochuthottathil Paulose (Daily Wage Labourer)
- Mother – Mariakutty (d. 2001)
- Siblings – Abin Paul (Younger Brother)
- Others – Mariyamma (Grandmother)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Side-cropped, spiked hair
- Sports a beard
Eldhose Paul Facts
- Eldhose’s mother passed away when he was about 4 years old. He and his younger brother were then brought up by their father and their grandmother Mariyamma.
- When Eldhose grew up, he used to take up odd jobs like roofing and rubber tapping, outside his school hours, to support his sporting ambitions.
- He started as a pole vaulter and used to win medals in the sport at school events. These were instrumental in his admission to the Mar Athanasius College under the sports quota. It was there that he switched from pole vault to long jump and later to triple jump.
- Although he had not competed beyond the district level until the age of 19, he began representing the Services (the common name of teams that compete in several domestic sporting competitions/events in India and are operated by the SSCB (Services Sports Control Board), a sports organization run by the Indian Armed Forces) in athletics events after he secured a job with the Indian Navy in 2016. He managed to achieve several podium finishes with the Services.
- Eldhose’s breakthrough year was 2021 when he won the ‘Gold’ medal in 3 Indian Grand Prix athletics events. That year, he also won his maiden national title.
- His first major competition outside India was in Almaty, Kazakhstan, in June 2022. He won a ‘Silver’ medal there and secured the final spot on the 32-man roster for the triple jump event at the World Athletics Championships to be held in Eugene, Oregon, United States, in July 2022. He made it to the final of that competition where he finished in a creditable 9th place with a 16.79 m distance.
Featured Image by Eldhose Paul / Instagram