|Flavor Flav Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||March 16, 1959|
Flavor Flav is an American rapper, TV personality, and comedian who is well known as a member of the iconic hip-hop group Public Enemy. He is credited as one of the pioneers of the “hype man” role (backup rapper) in hip-hop groups. Flavor Flav, in the later years of his career, starred in several reality shows such as The Surreal Life (2004), Strange Love (2005), and Flavor of Love (2006-2008).
William Jonathan Drayton Jr.
Flavor Flav, Flav, Mr. F, Rico
Roosevelt, New York, United States
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Flavor Flav attended the Freeport High School in New York but dropped out in the 11th grade and then joined a culinary school in 1978. Further, he attended Adelphi University in Long Island, New York.
Musician, Rapper, Television Personality, Comedian
- Father – William Drayton Sr. (d. 1997)
- Mother – Anna Drayton (d. 2013)
- Siblings – Steven Drayton (Brother) (Film Producer), Jean Delores Madison (Sister)
- Others – Shep Garner (Cousin) (Former Basketball player), Timbo King (Cousin) (Emcee)
He is represented by –
- Jeff Epstein, Agent, Universal Attractions Agency, New York, United States
- Kate Gammell, Manager, Amuseicon Management & Production, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Vaughn Gill, Manager, Amuseicon Management & Production, Los Angeles, California, United States
Vocals, Piano, Guitar, Bass, Saxophone, Clarinet, Drums, Triangle
- Def Jam Recordings
- Atomic Pop
- Entertainment One Music
- Slam Jamz
- Guerrilla Funk
- RCS Music
- 916% Entertainment
- SPV Recordings
- Universal Music Group
- Drayton Records
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Flavor Flav has dated –
- Karen Ross (1986-1991) – Flav had 3 children with his first wife Karen Ross – Shanique Drayton (b. 1987), William Drayton (b. 1988), and Karren Drayton (b. 1989). In 1991, he pleaded guilty to assaulting Karen, served a month in prison and lost custody of the children.
- Angie Parker (1994-1997) – He was married to Angie Parker from 1994 to 1997. Flav has 3 daughters with Angie – Dazyna Drayton, Quanah Drayton, and Kayla Drayton.
- Beverly Johnson (1998–2001) – Flav started dating actress and model Beverly Johnson in 1998 and by 2000, he was living with her and her 2 children from a previous marriage. They broke up after Flav served a prison sentence in 2001.
- Brigitte Nielsen (2003-2005) – Flav met actress Brigitte Nielsen on the sets of the reality TV series The Surreal Life. The couple started dating in 2003 but broke up at the end of the TV show Strange Love (2005) where they were co-stars, as Brigitte reunited with Mattia Dessi.
- Liz Trujillo (2003-Present) – Liz and Flav got engaged in 2008 and got married in early 2010. They have a son named Karma (b. 2010).
- Tiffany Pollard (2005-2006)
- Nicole Alexander (2006)
- Candace Cabrera (2007)
- Latresha Bradford (2008)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
- Often makes appearances with a clock around his neck
- Gold-plated teeth
- Dreadlocked hair
Flavor Flav has appeared in the TV commercials for brands such as –
- Pepsi Co.
- Miller Lite
Flavor Flav Favorite Things
- University Basketball Team – UNLV Runnin’ Rebels
- Singer – Bob Dylan
- Sweet – Candies
- Colors – Red, Bright Green, Bright Orange
- TV Talk Show – The Arsenio Hall Show (1989-1994)
- Politician – Barack Obama
Source – Wikipedia, Vanity Fair, nmaam.org
Flavor Flav Facts
- He Flav was a child musical prodigy. Flavor started playing the piano, self-taught, at the age of 5 and used to sing in the youth choir at his church. He also learned and mastered drums and the guitar by the time he was a teenager.
- In 1993, Flav was arrested for 3 months on the charge of shooting at a neighbor. The same year, he was charged with domestic violence, his family eventually intervened and checked him into a rehab center for cocaine de-addiction.
- While at university, he met future collaborator and fellow member of the hip hop group Public Enemy, Carlton Ridenhour (later popular as Chuck D). The duo used to collaborate on a hip-hop college radio show and then started their rap careers together.
- When Chuck D’s 1984 song Public Enemy #1 brought them to the attention of music executive Rick Rubin, Rick did not understand Flav’s role in the act. However, Chuck convinced Rick of Flav’s utility and the duo were signed to Def Jam Recordings in 1986. Flav served as the comic foil to Chuck’s more serious and politically conscious rap in the group Public Enemy.
- He was featured as a playable character in the 2004 hip-hop-influenced action video game called Def Jam: Fight for NY.
- In 2009, he was again featured as a video game character, this time in the PlayStation Network’s video game Pain. In May 2010, he guest-hosted an episode of WWE Raw.
- He launched a restaurant called Flav’s Fried Chicken in co-owner Nick Cimino’s hometown of Clinton, Iowa in 2011. The fried chicken and chicken wings on the restaurant’s menu used Flav’s homemade recipe. He opened another restaurant in 2012, this time in Las Vegas, named Flavor Flav’s House of Flavor.
- In December 2021, Flavor Flav was involved in a car accident in La Tuna Canyon when a boulder reportedly fell down the cliffside and hit the side of his car. Fortunately, he wasn’t injured.
- In October 2022, Flavor Flav celebrated 2 years of sobriety.
- In January 2023, Flavor Flav released a new song titled Hands Up in the Air.
Featured Image by kowarski / Flickr / CC BY-2.0