Forest Steven Whitaker III
Longview, Texas, U.S.
Whitaker did his schooling from Cal Poly Pomona or California State Polytechnic University, Pomona as it is now known as. He got a football scholarship but after a back injury, he changed his major to music. He later changed his major to drama.
He then attended the Music Conservatory at the University of Southern California where he studied opera as a tenor. He later went to the University’s Drama Conservatory.
In 1982, Whitaker completed his graduation from USC and got a scholarship to pursue higher studies at the Drama Studio London‘s California wing.
He also attended the New York University‘s Gallatin School of Individualized Study to earn a degree in The Core of Conflict: Studies in Peace and Reconciliation.
Actor, film producer, film director
- Father – Forest Steven Jr. (Insurance Salesman)
- Mother – Laura Francis (née Smith) (Teacher)
- Siblings – Kenn Whitaker (Younger Brother), Damon Whitaker (Younger Brother), Deborah Whitaker (Older Sister)
His career is managed by Brillstein Entertainment Partners.
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
92 kg or 203 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
Whitaker dated and married –
- Keisha Nash (1994-Present) – Whitaker first met actress Keisha Nash on the sets of Blown Away in 1994 and the two got married in 1996. The couple have four children (3 biological children), two daughters Sonnet and True, and a son Sergio Hyatt and a daughter Autumn from Keisha’s previous relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
Forest has African American ancestry.
- Left eye ptosis
- Lazy, contemplative look
- Mostly seen in roles of politicians, leaders, historical figures, government agent
Forest Whitaker’s body specifications may be –
- Chest – 46 in or 117 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 15 in or 38 cm
- Waist – 40 in or 102 cm
11 (US) or 44 (EU)
Whitaker lent his voice for the TV commercial of Citi credit cards by Citibank.
He lent his voice to the Heads Up Football Coaches Certification TV commercial for USAFootball.com in 2013.
In October 2014, he lent his voice for the TV commercial of Health Partners campaign for Cigna Insurance.
Whitaker recorded a public service announcement with daughter True for promoting vegetarianism for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
Best Known For
He is best known for films like Bird (1988), Platoon (1986), Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999), The Butler (2013) and many others.
The Last King of Scotland (2006) was a landmark film in his career and he played Uganda’s dictator Idi Amin in the movie.
His role of LAPD Internal Affairs Lieutenant Jon Kavanaugh in The Shield TV series was also commended.
His first film was Tag: The Assassination Game in 1982, which saw him portray the role of Gowdy’s Bodyguard.
First TV Show
His first television entry was in Making the Grade in 1982. Whitaker was seen in the Marriage David Style episode of this short lived series.
In 1993, Whitaker turned into a film director when he first directed the 1993 HBO crime-thriller / drama movie Strapped.
First Stage Performance
In 2016, Whitaker made his Broadway debut in Hughie, a play by Eugene O’Neill. The stage performance was held at the Booth Theatre under the direction of Michael Grandage.
Whitaker practices yoga and has a black belt in kenpō. He trains in the Filipino martial art of Kali under the guidance of Dan Inosanto, who was the teacher of late martial arts expert and actor Bruce Lee.
Forest Whitaker Favorite Things
- Game – Football
- Food – Vegetarian
Source – Wikipedia
Forest Whitaker Facts
- Whitaker has worked with many famed directors and actors and has also worked in video films with Lil Wayne, Maggie Grace, 50 Cent, T.I. and others.
- For the role of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland (2006), he won the Academy Award, British Academy Film Award, Golden Globe, National Board of Review Award, Screen Actors Guild Award, and others. He won a total of 23 awards for the movie.
- Whitaker and Nina Yang Bongiovi produced the film Fruitvale Station, which won the Grand Jury Prize and the Audience Award for U.S. dramatic film at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival. They also co-produced Repentance (2014) and Dope (2015).
- Whitaker took the role of a co-chair at JuntoBox Films in March 2012.
- He was honored with the Hollywood Actor of the Year award in 2006 at the Annual Hollywood Film Festival’s 10th edition.
- On April 16, 2007, he became the 2,335th actor to receive the Hollywood Walk of Fame star.
- In 2009, he was awarded an honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters from Xavier University of Louisiana during the 82nd Commencement Ceremony.
- In May 2015, the actor also got the honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters from California State University, Dominguez Hills.
- He is a humanitarian and supports Hope North, a boarding school and vocational training center in northern Uganda for refugee child soldiers, orphans, and other young victims of the country’s civil war.
- Whitaker is the chief of Igbo community of Nkwerre and has been allotted the title of Nwannedinamba of Nkwerre which implies that he is a Brother in a Foreign Land.
- The United Nations inducted Whitaker as a UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador for Peace and Reconciliation on June 21, 2011 during a ceremony which was held at the UNESCO headquarters.
- In 2010, Whitaker received the Artist-Citizen of the World Award in France.
- In May 2011, Whitaker became the co-founder of the International Institute for Peace (IIP) at Rutgers University in Newark, New Jersey.
- You can follow him on Twitter, and Facebook.