|Freddie Mercury Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9¾ in|
|Date of Birth||September 5, 1946|
|Date of Death
||November 24, 1991|
Freddie Mercury was a British singer, songwriter, and record producer best known as the lead vocalist of the rock band Queen. One of the greatest singers in the history of rock music, he was known for his highly theatrical style as a rock frontman. Queen‘s discography consists of multiple albums and songs like We Are the Champions, Queen, Queen II, Jazz, A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, Sheer Heart Attack, The Works, Hot Space, A Kind of Magic, Flash Gordon, The Game, The Miracle, News of the World, Innuendo, Bohemian Rhapsody, Killer Queen, You’re My Best Friend, Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy, Don’t Stop Me Now, Another One Bites the Dust, I Want to Break Free, Radio Ga Ga, Thank God It’s Christmas, and Seven Seas of Rhye. The 2018 biographical musical drama film Bohemian Rhapsody follows Freddie Mercury’s life and dramatizes his career with Queen. As a member of Queen, he was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001, the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2003, and the UK Music Hall of Fame in 2004.
Freddie Mercury, Fred
Freddie Mercury was born on September 5, 1946.
Freddie died at the age of 45 on November 24, 1991, due to bronchial pneumonia caused by AIDS at Kensington, London, England.
Stone Town, Sultanate of Zanzibar, East Africa (now part of Tanzania)
Freddie Mercury went to the British-style boarding school, St. Peter’s School in Panchgani, India.
He later studied art at the Isleworth Polytechnic (renamed as West Thames College) in London.
He also got enrolled at the Ealing Art College (later known as Ealing Campus of the University of West London) to graduate with a diploma in art and graphic design.
Singer, songwriter, record producer
- Father – Bomi Bulsara (Cashier)
- Mother – Jer Bulsara (Housewife)
- Siblings – Kashmira (Younger Sister)
Freddie Mercury’s music band Queen was managed by John Reid.
Vocals and piano
Columbia, Polydor, EMI, Parlophone, Hollywood Records
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth was $50 Million at the time of death.
5 ft 9¾ in or 177 cm
74 kg or 163 pounds
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Freddie Mercury had dated –
- Rosemary Pearson (1969-1970) – Freddie was reported to be in a relationship with Rosemary Pearson while studying at the Ealing Technical College. She fell for his sense of humor and caring behavior. However, they broke up a year later. His homosexual tendencies drove them apart. So, she went to his flat and told him it was over.
- In the mid-1970s, he had a short-lived affair with an unnamed American man, who was reported to be working as a record executive at Elektra Records.
- Mary Austin – Freddie started dating Mary Austin in the mid-70s. He had met her through guitarist Brian May. Shortly after the start of their relationship, she moved in to live with him. However, after he told her about his homosexual desires in 1976, they decided to end their relationship. But they remained close over the years. After their breakup, he bought a place for her near his home. Even, he left his London home to her in his will along with the proceeds from his music royalties and claimed that she had been his wife anyway.
- Joseph Fannelli (1981) – Freddie had a short-lived affair with Joseph Fannelli, who was also reported to be his chef.
- Barbara Valentin – In the early and mid-80s, Freddie was dating Austrian actor Barbara Valentin. She also made an appearance in his band’s music video, It’s a Hard Life.
- Jim Hutton (1986-1991) – Freddie started dating Jim Hutton, who worked as a hairdresser, in 1986. They had first met in 1983. They remained together until Freddie’s death in 1991. When he died, he was wearing a wedding band that Hutton had given him.
Race / Ethnicity
He was of Gujarati Parsi descent.
- Loved performing in a white vest
Footage from Freddie Mercury’s song “I Was Born To Love You” was included in the TV commercial for Nissin’s Cup Noodles, which is a Japanese food brand.
His solo single Barcelona (performed in collaboration with Montserrat Caballé) was used in the TV advert for Ford Mondeo.
Best Known For
- Being the lead vocalist of the British Rock band, Queen, which has delivered the iconic single Bohemian Rhapsody
- His eccentric personality and flamboyant stage presence
In 1985, Freddie released his debut solo album, Mr. Bad Guy in association with Columbia Records. It peaked at number #6 on the UK Albums (OCC) chart and was certified ‘Gold’ by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI).
In July 1973, Freddie’s music band, Queen, released their debut studio album, Queen which was able to get sold more than 1 million copies worldwide.
First TV Show
In September 1974, he made his first TV show appearance on the music show Top of the Pops.
Freddie Mercury Favorite Things
- Color – Yellow
- Singers – Aretha Franklin
- Female Actor – Liza Minnelli
- Movies – The Women (1939), Some Like It Hot (1959), Imitation of Life (1959)
Source – FreddieMercury.com, IMDb.com
Freddie Mercury Facts
- Freddie was an avid and passionate stamp collector. Even two decades after his death, his extensive stamp collection was being displayed worldwide by his estate, which was started under his birth name.
- He was very fond of his cats. In fact, he dedicated his solo album, Bad Guy to his pets and while touring, he used to make phone calls to his cats and spend hours on such calls.
- In a 2002 poll conducted by the Guinness World Records, his song Bohemian Rhapsody was selected as Britain’s favorite pop single of all time.
- In 2002, as a result of a poll conducted by BBC, he was placed in the 58th position in the list comprising of “100 Greatest Britons”.
- His famous overbite was the result of an extra four teeth. Although he talked about getting corrective surgery, he ultimately chose not to get it done.
- In November 2004, his music band Queen was honored with inclusion in the UK Music Hall of Fame for their achievements and contributions to the British culture.
- He had placed piano at the head of the bed and had taught himself to play piano backward so that he could play his song ideas while lying on the bed itself.
- In 2009, the Classic Rock magazine declared him No.1 Greatest Singer In Rock after conducting an online poll.
- In 2015, the International Mustache Hall of Fame honored him for his flamboyant mustache with induction in the inaugural class in the arts and music category.
- He was a big supporter of the British monarchy and took inspiration from them while naming his band. He liked sexual innuendo hinted by the name as well.
- He started taking piano lessons at St. Peter’s boarding school in the 4th grade. It was at this school he started performing on stage and formed his first band, The Hectics.
- Before he found success as a musician, he used to sell second-hand clothing items in London. He also had a job at Heathrow Airport.
- When he was 17 years old, he and his family moved to England from Zanzibar, fleeing from the 1964 revolution, which had claimed the lives of many Indians and Arabs in the African nation.
- He used knowledge gained from the arts and graphic design diploma to design his band’s logo. He drew inspiration from the Royal British motif for his work.
- Mercury holds the unfortunate distinction of being the first major rock star to have died from complications resulting from AIDS.
- Rolling Stone magazine placed him on the 18th spot on the list of “Top 100 Singers of All Time” in 2008.
- In November 1996, the 10 feet tall statue of Mercury was unveiled in the Swiss city, Montreux. The statue is located near the iconic Lake Geneva.
You say nothing about shoe size of Freddie..
We didn’t have any foolproof information on his shoe size. Hence, it is not written here.
Freddie was gay never dated Barbra 🙂
We don’t know Barbra and we don’t know Paul. We love Mary and we will forever love Jim.
Freddie was bi-sexual, and did date Barbara for a short stint. 🙂
Barbara was a friend only and was an interpreter between Freddie and Winnie as neither could speak the others language also she was his beard.
After Freddie died Barbara herself admitted to making false claims about having a sexual relationship. He was gay.
darling he was gay, he never dated barbara, and he said stated he was gay in an interview
he did 🙂
Are you sure?
They bought a flat together and lived there together for a couple of years before he left and returned to London. Freddie was more gay than he was not – but – he was also bi-sexual, and he had apparently much internal struggle because of this.
If he were bisexual he would have stayed with Mary. He was gay and it’s not me saying this but people who were part of his life and spent years with him.
im confused as of why you had talked so much about his house and rooms but yet never showed a picture of the specific object??
Do any of you happen to know what size trousers Freddie wore. I am curious about his inseam. I loved his long legs!
Yes, he had long legs, a beautiful smile, a captivating presence and the greatest vocal range of 4 and half octives. Handsome, talented man! He will be forever missed and NEVER replaced. Adam Lambert is awesome but no one can sound or have the magical essence of Freddy! May he rest in eternal peace!
Yes Fred did date Barbara. He’s had serval women. He caught aids from Paul printer
– He was really about 171cm.
– There’s way he ever weighed 74 kg!
– Since someone asked, he wore a size 8 shoe. A pair of his ballet slippers in this size were sold at auction.
– The “short-lived affair with an unnamed American man” was a 3-year-long relationship with David Minns, who has written about his time with Freddie.
– He never dated Barbara Valentin. He was in a relationship with Winfried Kirchberger when he was living in Munich, and he spent much of his time at Winnie’s apartment. He and Barbara did purchase an apartment together, but he left Germany before ever moving in. Freddie and his friends have said that he was never romantically/sexually involved with Barbara.
– He had many more boyfriends than are listed here.
– Freddie was gay, not bisexual. He said so several times. In the 80s: “I admit to being gay.” & “I’m glad to be gay!” His friends have stated that he never had any romantic/sexual interest in women. During an interview panel in the 70s, Queen were asked by a reporter what they looked for in a girl & Freddie replied, “Surely you don’t mean me?” … There really isn’t any grey area here.
– He only collected stamps as a child.
– Also, because of the comment above: There’s no reason to believe Freddie contracted AIDS from Paul Prenter. No credible source has said they had sex. Even if they did, it’s impossible to pin his illness on one person. The Somebody to Love biography tried and was discredited by Freddie’s friends. This is not a question that can be answered.
I have custom denim boots with a butterfly and initials F and M on each side front center
Barbra’s daughter stated her mom and Freddie would fight and yell then go to bedroom