|Frits Wester Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||March 29, 1962|
Frits Wester is a Dutch journalist who is best known for his work as the parliamentary correspondent for RTL Nieuws, a Dutch TV news service produced by RTL Nederland (a Dutch media network that is the subsidiary of the RTL Group (a Luxembourg-based international media conglomerate)).
Veenendaal, Utrecht, Netherlands
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Frits has dated –
- Marjolein Wester – Marjolein and Frits got divorced in 2014, after more than 20 years of wedlock. They have 2 sons together named Auke Wester and Jelle Wester. Marjolein decided to end this long-term relationship after she discovered that Frits was having an affair with a theater teacher named Regina Visser, 26 years his junior.
- Regina Visser (2014-2016)
- Annelies (2016)
- Birgitta (2018-2019)
- Jeannine Grin (2020-Present) – Frits rekindled his relationship with his childhood sweetheart and acupuncturist Jeannine Grin in late 2020. News emerged in September 2023 that the couple had either got married or applied for a registered partnership in March 2023. A registered partnership in the Netherlands gives a pair the same rights that a married couple might have in the country.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Dutch descent.
- Mildly stocky frame
- Spotted forehead
- Clean-shaven look
- Wrinkled, puffy face
Frits Wester Facts
- Frits became involved in Dutch politics at a very young age – he co-founded the Christian Democratic Youth Appeal, the youth organization of Christian Democratic Appeal (CDA – the 4th-largest political party in the Netherlands in terms of votes polled in the 2021 general elections in the country).
- In the mid-1980s, when he was about 22 years old, he became deeply involved in local organizations that were active on a wide range of sensitive political topics – such as abortion, euthanasia, and nuclear arms.
- A few years later, he was offered a job in the communications department of the CDA. Frits soon became the personal spokesperson for Elco Brinkman, a prominent politician and businessman who served as the leader of the CDA in 1994.
- He is even credited with devising the concept of a walk-and-talk presentation style (which was soon dubbed the ‘Brinkman Shuffle’ as it gained popularity) for Elco during the political campaign for the 1994 parliamentary elections. However, the CDA did not perform well in the elections after which Elco left the parliament while Frits began his journalistic career – for RTL Nieuws.
- Although he remained a member of the CDA, his journalistic career boomed as he developed a reputation for being the first to break major political and economic news in the Netherlands. He was also invited quite frequently as a guest on popular late-night talk shows and business news channels.
- In 2004, Frits participated in and won the Nationale Nieuwsquiz, a national-level quiz competition. It was alleged that he might have cheated as there were rumors that he had been given a few correct answers by another contestant who had seen the script. He denied the allegation.
- In 2005, he claimed that, in mid-2002, he had been approached to become the State Secretary for the immigration portfolio. He also claimed that he had later also been offered the same post for media. He stated that he had refused both of those offers because his career as a journalist was going quite well at that time.
- In 2008, Frits was featured in the inaugural season of 5 Jaar Later, a TV show in which a well-known Dutch personality’s life is discussed based on an interview that was recorded at least 5 years earlier.
- In September 2019, he announced that he would be taking some time off from his professional work for health reasons. It emerged later that he was battling alcohol addiction. He even visited a deaddiction clinic in South Africa but returned to the Netherlands by the end of October 2019.
Featured Image by Frits Wester / Instagram