|Gavi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||August 5, 2004|
Gavi is a Spanish professional soccer player who has represented, as a central midfielder, FC Barcelona Atlètic (2021) and FC Barcelona (2021-Present) in Spain. FC Barcelona Atlètic competes in the third tier of the Spanish league system and is the reserve team of FC Barcelona. At the international level, Gavi represented Spain at the under-15, under-16, and under-18 tiers before making his senior national debut in October 2021. He was a part of the Spanish squad that finished as the runner-up in the 2020–21 edition of the UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) Nations League, the 2nd season of a continental competition that involves the men’s national teams of the 55 members of the UEFA.
Pablo Martín Páez Gavira
Los Palacios y Villafranca, Seville, Andalusia, Spain
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Pablo Páez
- Mother – Belen Gavira
- Siblings – Aurora Páez Gavira (Older Sister)
- 9 – Spain
- 30 – FC Barcelona
- 38, 28 – FC Barcelona Atlètic
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Spanish descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
- Although his full name is Pablo Martín Páez Gavira, he is professionally known as Gavi. The story goes that a coach at one of his youth clubs started calling him Gavi to differentiate between him and another player on the team named Pablo. As the practice became popular with other coaches and players, Gavi, the shortened version of his maternal family name (Gavira) became his professional identity as well as his nickname.
- He made his senior national debut in October 2021, in Spain’s 2-1 semi-final win against Italy in the 2020–21 edition of the UEFA Nations League. This made him the youngest player ever (at 17 years, 2 months, and 1 day) to have represented Spain at the senior level.
- In June 2022, he scored his first senior-level goal for Spain, in an away game of the UEFA Nations League, against the Czech Republic. This made him the youngest player ever (at 17 years and 10 months) to have scored a goal for Spain at the senior level.
- In 2022, he won The Kopa Trophy, an annual award that has been presented since 2018 by France Football (a renowned French weekly soccer magazine that is considered to be one of the most reputable sports publications in Europe) to the best-performing player under the age of 21. The award is named after legendary French soccer player Raymond Kopa, who passed away in March 2017.
- The award is open to those who play outside of Europe as well and the winner is selected by former Ballon d’Or (an annual award presented by France Football since 1956) winners. Gavi was the 2nd Spanish player to have won this award after Pedri (2021). His win also made Spain the country with the most such number of wins (2). Spain was tied with France and Netherlands at 1 win apiece until then.
- That year, he also won the Golden Boy award, an annual award that has been presented since 2003 by sports journalists to a young soccer player (under the age of 21), playing in a European nation’s top-tier league, perceived to have been the most impressive during a calendar year (two halves of two separate seasons).
- Gavi was the 4th Spanish player to have won this award after Cesc Fàbregas (2006), Isco (2012), and Pedri (2021). His win also made Spain the country with the most such number of wins (4). Spain was tied with France at 3 wins apiece until then.
Featured Image by Gavi / Instagram