|Gavin Wood Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Year of Birth||April 1980|
Gavin Wood is an English computer scientist and tech entrepreneur who is best known as one of the co-founders of Ethereum, a decentralized, open-source blockchain with smart contract functionality. He had later created Polkadot, a sharded heterogeneous multi-chain architecture that enables external networks to communicate, creating an interconnected internet of blockchains. In 2019, he had founded Kusama, an early-stage experimental development environment for Polkadot.
Gavin James Wood
Gavin Wood was born in April 1980.
Lancaster, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
Gavin had attended the Lancaster Royal Grammar School (LRGS), a selective day and boarding school for boys in his hometown of Lancaster. After his high school graduation, he had joined the University of York, a collegiate research university in York, England.
He had graduated from there in 2002 with a Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) degree in computer systems and software engineering. In 2005, he had completed his Ph.D. entitled ‘Content-based Visualization to Aid Common Navigation of Musical Audio”.
Computer Scientist, Tech Entrepreneur
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
69 kg or 152 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of British descent.
- Slender frame
- Short-cropped, tousled hair
- Sports a rugged beard
Gavin Wood Facts
- He was interested in economics and game theory from a very young age and had even co-published a strategy board game that he had designed.
- He had first been introduced to Bitcoin and the world of cryptocurrency in 2011 but was not immediately impressed by the idea, with his focus wavering more towards the currency aspect rather than the technology. However, when he had revisited the concept in 2013, he realized the endless possibilities in the field and the change it could bring to the world.
- A mutual friend had introduced him to Vitalik Buterin, a Russian-Canadian programmer and tech entrepreneur who is best known as the co-founder of Ethereum, later that year and he began working for Ethereum.
- Before this, Gavin had worked as a research scientist at Microsoft focussing on technical aspects of embedded domain-specific languages. He had also implemented the first smart lighting controller for one of London’s top nightclubs and built the software systems of OxLegal, a smart text contract editor.
- He had helped immensely in the development of Solidity, a programming language for writing smart contracts. In 2014, had also released a paper where he had defined the Ethereum Virtual Machine, the runtime system for smart contracts in Ethereum. He had served as the Ethereum Foundation‘s first CTO (Chief Technology Officer) before leaving the organization in 2016.
- Gavin had then founded a company called Parity Technologies that had developed a client for the Ethereum network and had also created software for companies using blockchain technology. He had also served at the organization’s CWO (Chief Web Officer).
- A polyglot, he is fluent in Italian, French, and Spanish. He can also speak a bit of and Romanian. He is also good at Lojban, a constructed, syntactically unambiguous human language created by the Logical Language Group.
- His hobbies and interests include photography and snowboarding. He is also proficient in Taekwondo.
Featured Image by Gavin Wood / Instagram