|Vitalik Buterin Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||January 31, 1994|
Vitalik Buterin is a Russian-Canadian programmer and tech entrepreneur who is best known as the co-founder of Ethereum, a decentralized, open-source blockchain with smart contract functionality. When the price of Ether (ETH, the native cryptocurrency of Ethereum) breached the USD 3k mark on May 4, 2021, he had become the world’s youngest crypto billionaire, at the age of 27. Before the launching of Ethereum in 2015, he was one of the co-founders of Bitcoin Magazine in 2012. In 2014, he had won the World Technology Award in the IT Software category. He was included by Fortune magazine in its ’40 Under 40′ list in 2016, and by Forbes magazine in its ’30 Under 30′ list in 2018.
Vitaly Dmitriyevich Buterin
Kolomna, Moscow Oblast, Russia
He splits his time between North York, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and Zug, Switzerland.
He holds dual nationality.
When Vitalik was in grade 3 of an elementary school in Canada, he was placed into a class for gifted children considering his exceptional understanding of mathematics, programming, and economics at such a young age.
He had later attended the Abelard School, a private high school in Toronto. After his high school graduation, he had joined the University of Waterloo in 2012, a public research university in Waterloo, Ontario.
He had dropped out of university in 2014 to work on Ethereum full-time after he was awarded a grant of USD 100k by the Thiel Fellowship, a scholarship created by venture capitalist Peter Thiel for people under the age of 23 to pursue interests outside of academia.
Programmer, Tech Entrepreneur
- Father – Dmitriy Buterin (Computer Scientist)
- Mother – Natalia Ameline (née Chistyakova)
Digital Contracts, Digital Currencies, Game Theory
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Russian descent.
- Lanky frame
- Lean physique
- Short-cropped hair
- Clean-shaven look
Vitalik Buterin Facts
- Vitalik’s family had emigrated to Canada in search of better employment opportunities when he was 6 years old.
- His first introduction to cryptocurrencies had come at the age of 17 when his father had taught him about Bitcoin.
- During his time at the University of Waterloo, he was a research assistant for renowned cryptographer Ian Goldberg, the co-creator of a cryptographic protocol called Off-the-Record Messaging.
- In 2012, he had won the ‘Bronze’ medal at the International Olympiad in Informatics. A year later, while still at university, he had visited developers in several countries to recruit partners for the development of Ethereum.
- In June 2017, he was the subject of a death hoax that had originated from 4chan, an anonymous imageboard website.
- In November 2018, he had received an honorary doctorate from the Faculty of Business and Economics of the University of Basel.
- In 2020, he had donated USD 50k to the SENS Research Foundation, a non-profit organization that does research programs for the application of regenerative medicine to aging.
- According to Forbes magazine, as of May 2021, he held the record of being the youngest cryptocurrency billionaire and the 2nd youngest self-made billionaire. Austin Russell, the founder of Luminar Technologies, had become a billionaire at the of age 25 compared to Vitalik’s 27.
- In May 2021, Vitalik donated more than $1 billion in crypto to Indian COVID Relief Fund. He had donated precisely 50 trillion SHIB tokens worth $1.2 billion (roughly Rs 8,800 crores) on May 12, 2021.
Featured Image by Vitalik Buterin / Instagram