|Geoffrey Rush Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11½ in|
|Date of Birth||July 6, 1951|
Geoffrey Rush is an Australian film, TV, stage and voice actor and producer. He is well known for his stage acting roles in Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest and Shakespeare’s plays The Winter’s Tale, Hamlet, The Marriage of Figaro, Exit the King, The Drowsy Chaperone, among others. Geoffrey has acted in films like Starstruck, Lovejoy, Shine, Les Miserables, Shakespeare in Love, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales among others. He has also lent his voice as a voice character in the movies Pirates of the Caribean, Finding Nemo, Harvey Krumpet, etc.
Rush has a number of awards and nominations under his belt including the 1997 “Best Actor” award and “Best Actor in a Leading Role” award for the film Shine, “Best Actor in a Leading Role”, “Best Actor in a Supporting Role” in the 1999 and 2011 films Elizabeth and The King’s Speech among others. His list of awards do not stop there, he has also gone home with Golden Globe Awards, Helpmann Awards, Hollywood Film Festival, Australian Film Institute Awards, Brisbane International Film Festivals and many more.
He has an ‘Honorary Doctorate of Letters’ from the University of Queensland, the ‘Australian Centenary medal’ for his service in the arts, ‘Companion of the Order of Australia,’ and the ‘Q150 icons of Queensland’ for his influence as an artist.
Geoffrey Roy Rush
Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
Camberwell, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Geoffrey Rush attended Everton Park State High School and the University of Queensland as well as L’École Internationale de Théâtre Jacques Lecoq.
Film, TV, Stage and Voice Actor, Producer
- Father – Roy Baden Rush (Accountant)
- Mother – Merle Rush (Department Store Sales Assistant)
- Siblings – He has a sister.
Geoffrey Rush is managed by –
- Shanahan Management Pty Ltd. (Talent Management Company), New South Wales, Australia
- Creative Artists Agency (CAA) (Talent Agent Voice/Commercial), Los Angeles, California, USA
- Stan Rosenfield & Associates (Publicist), Los Angeles, California, USA
- Bloom Hergott Diemer Rosenthal Laviolette Feldman Schenkman & Goodman (Legal Representative), Beverly Hills, California, USA
5 ft 11½ in or 181.5 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Geoffrey Rush has dated –
- Jane Menelaus (1988-Present) – Rush and Jane, an Australian actress, have been together since 1988. They got married on November 20, 1988, and are living happily ever since. They have 2 children together, Angelica (b. 1992) and James (b. 1995).
Race / Ethnicity
He has English, Irish, and Scottish ancestry on his father’s side, and is of German descent on his mother’s side.
Due to his advancing age, his hair has turned ‘Gray’.
- Prominent nose
- Long face
- Lugubrious Mannerism
Geoffrey Rush has endorsed –
- Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts
- Mandarin Oriental Hotels
Best Known For
- Stage acting in plays such as The Importance of Being Earnest, Shakespeare’s play The Winter’s Tale, Hamlet, The Marriage of Figaro, Exit the King, The Drowsy Chaperone, among others
- Voice acting roles in movies such as Pirates of the Caribean, Finding Nemo, Harvey Krumpet, among others
- Appearing in film and TV roles such as Starstruck, Lovejoy, Shine, Les Miserables, Shakespeare in Love, Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Men Tell No Tales, among others
- Producing the film The King’s Speech in 2010
Geoffrey Rush made his theatrical film debut as Detective 1 in the 1981 film Hoodwink.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut as Father Peter Fuller on the TV series Menotti in 1980.
Geoffrey Rush Favorite Things
- Film – City Lights
- Actor – Johnny Depp
- Word – Pom-pom
Geoffrey Rush Facts
- His father was an accountant for the Royal Australian airforce.
- When he was 5 years of age, his parents divorced.
- He lived with his mother and maternal grandparents in Brisbane.
- Geoffrey was discovered by Queensland Theatre Company when he was in university.
- He has a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Queensland.
- Rush lived in Paris for 2 years where he studied mime, theatre, and movement in L’École Internationale de Théâtre Jacques Lecoq.
- He co-starred with Mel Gibson in the 1979 movie Waiting for Godot and they shared an apartment for 4 months.
- The movie Shine gave him international recognition.
- He turned down an offer to be in the movie As Good as It Gets.
- He did 3 major films in 1998 namely Shakespeare in Love, Elizabeth, and Les Misérables.
- Geoffrey did a total of 9 films between 2001 and 2003 including Dead Men Tell No Tales, Dead Man’s Chest, At World’s End, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl among others.
- He is very versatile and can tackle a wide range of roles including historical portrayals.
- He filed a defamation suit against The Telegraph in 2017 when they run a story about Rush engaging in inappropriate behavior on stage.
- Geoffrey has also been accused of s*xual misconduct by Yael Stone, an Australian actress, who claimed that Rush was sending her inappropriate texts, touched her, peeped at her while she was showering and danced naked in front of her. The story was published in the New York Times on December 16, 2018.
- He participates in causes like the Melbourne Community Group for the preservation of the historical landscapes.
- Being an accomplished pianist, he played all the piano pieces in the movie Shine where he played a pianist.
- He said that he will accept roles that have some risk because according to him “you occasionally need to jump off a cliff and do things that are not immediately within your grasp.”
- Johnny Depp is one of his favorite actors because of his imagination and capabilities.
- He was the star and executive producer in The King’s Speech (2010).
- He met his wife on the set of The Importance of Being Earnest where they were both actors.
- Geoffrey has a gravely booming voice.
- Rush is a “Triple crown actor” after having won an Emmy, a Tony, and an Oscar.
- He has played hosting roles for Australian Film Institute Awards and AFI awards.
- He has been featured in special edition postage stamps which feature top Australian actors.
- Geoffrey remembers his childhood days in Queensland with nostalgia and says that they were the happiest days of his life.
- One of his greatest fears is a recurring dream in which he is in a room alone with a tiger.
- He does not like the fact that he yields to the wrong melancholia.
- He does not seem to be active on social media.
Featured Image by Eva Rinaldi / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0