Mel Colmcille Gerard Gibson
Mel, Mad Mel, Gibbo
Peekskill, New York, United States
After his family moved to Australia, he was enrolled at St. Leo’s Catholic College in New South Wales, where he received education from the members of Congregation of Christian Brothers. After that, he was enrolled at Asquith Boys High School in North Sydney.
After graduation, his sister sent an application on his behalf to National Institute of Dramatic Art in Sydney, where he was accepted after an audition. He graduated from the institute in 1977.
Actor, film director and producer, screenwriter
- Father – Hutton Gibson (Writer, Critic, World War II Veteran)
- Mother – Anne Patricia (Housewife)
- Siblings – Donal Gibson (Younger Brother) (Actor), Kevin Gibson (Brother), Andrew Gibson (Brother), Daniel Gibson (Brother), Christopher Gibson (Brother), Patricia Gibson (Sister), Sheila Gibson (Sister), Mary Bridget Gibson (Sister), Maura Gibson (Sister), Anne Gibson (Sister)
- Others – Eva Mylott (Paternal Grandmother) (Opera Contralto), John Hutton Gibson (Paternal Grandfather) (Tobacco Businessman)
Mel Gibson was earlier represented by William Morris Endeavor, but they dropped him after allegations of domestic abuse and anti-Semitism surfaced.
He is currently represented by Shanahan Management Pty Ltd.
5 ft 9¾ in or 177 cm
97 kg or 214 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mel Gibson dated –
- Robyn Moore (1977-2006) – Mel Gibson met Australian actress Robyn Moore in 1977 after rounding off the shooting for Mad Max. Robyn, who was working as a dental nurse used to live in the same house as Mel in Adelaide. They dated for around 3 years before getting married on June 7, 1980, in a Roman Catholic ceremony in Forestville. Their first child, a daughter Hannah was born in 1980. Hannah was followed by 6 brothers over the years. Mel and Robyn separated in July 2006, which according to Gibson was triggered by his drunk driving arrest in Malibu in the same month. Robyn filed for divorce in April 2009 and was finalized in December 2011.
- Oksana Grigorieva (2008-2010) – After the divorce, Gibson moved onto Russian pianist Oksana Grigorieva, whom he was pictured embracing on the beach in March 2009. On October 30, 2009, Grigorieva gave birth to a girl Lucia. However, the things soon started to unravel as they publicly announced split in April 2010 and two months later, she filed for restraining order against Gibson.
- Oksana Pochepa (2009) – Mel Gibson was reported to have had a short affair in 2009 with Russian pop singer and model Oksana Pochepa. The pictures of Gibson embracing Pochepa at his beachside estate in Costa Rica also became public.
- Violet Kowal (2007-2009) – Mel had a number of paid dalliances with escort Violet Kowal starting from 2007 when he was separating from the first wife. Violet revealed that he met her while being involved with Grigorieva.
- Rosalind Ross (2014-Present) – Mel Gibson met screenwriter Rosalind Ross in 2014 when she applied for a job in his production company. Their relationship moved a notch higher when Rosalind, who is a former champion equestrian vaulter, accompanied Gibson to his 500-acre ranch in Costa Rica. Ross and Rosalind are expecting their first child.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Irish origin on his mother’s side and Irish and Australian descent on his father’s side.
- Rugged handsome features
- Gravely, rich voice
- Deep blue eyes
- Intense persona
Mel Gibson’s body specifications may be –
- Chest – 48 in or 122 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 18 in or 46 cm
- Waist – 40 in or 102 cm
Despite being one of the most famous actors of his generation, Mel Gibson has kept his endorsements very low key.
He did one regional commercial for Lasso in 2003 and another TV advert for Nutritional Health Alliance expressing his concerns on the restricted voluntary use of vitamins as US citizens.
Mel has also been seen in Subaru car commercial.
Best Known For
- Starring in the historical drama, Braveheart, for which, he also won an Academy Award for best director.
- Playing the lead role in the Lethal Weapon movie series.
Mel Gibson made his movie debut with surfer film Summer City in 1977 where he played the starring role as Scallop.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance in the drama series The Sullivans in just 1 episode in 1976 for his role as Ray Henderson.
Mel Gibson’s buff physique in the advancing age has attracted steroid use allegations. But he has refuted such rumors in an interview with USA Today and attributed it to his disciplined workout routine.
In preparation for his role in Machete Kills and Expendables 3, he worked out three times a week with each session lasting 3 hours. Each session comprised of cardio, aerobics, and light weightlifting. He cut sugar, pasta, and potatoes out of his diet and relied heavily on fish and green vegetables.
Mel Gibson Favorite Things
- Book – 1984 (By George Orwell)
- Films – The Big Country (1958), Double Indemnity (1944), Spartacus (1960)
- Mad Max Film – Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981)
Mel Gibson Facts
- For 2 consecutive years (1990 and 1991), he was named in the list of “50 Most Beautiful People in the World” by People magazine.
- For his movie The Passion of the Christ (2004), he spent about $25 million from his own pocket and had started doing research about 12 years before the release of the movie.
- Mel’s first name was inspired by 5th-century Irish saint Mel.
- He was under consideration to play the role of James Bond in two movies. However, he was turned first time for not being British and second time for being busy in shooting Braveheart (1995).
- Another big profile role that he turned down due to his commitment to Braveheart was of Harvey Dent in Batman Forever (1995).
- In December 1991, he was embroiled in a major controversy after he was accused of making homophobic and anti-LGBT comments in an interview given to Spanish newspaper El País.
- In 1997, he was honored by the honorary title of Officer of the Order of Australia, which was given for his special services to the Australian film industry.
- In 2006, he created controversy by directing an anti-Semitic tirade at the arresting officer after having caught driving with an open bottle of alcohol.
- He is not present on social media.