|George Kennedy Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||February 18, 1925|
|Date of Death||February 28, 2016|
George Kennedy was an American actor who is best remembered for his performances in films like Cool Hand Luke (1967), Airport (1970), Charade (1963), Bandolero! (1968), Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974), Earthquake (1974), The Dirty Dozen (1967), The Eiger Sanction (1975), The Boston Strangler (1968), etc.
George Harris Kennedy Jr.
He was born on February 18, 1925.
On February 28, 2016, he passed away from a heart ailment at the age of 91 years while living at an assisted living facility in Middleton, Idaho.
New York City, New York, United States
George attended the Chaminade High School located in Mineola, Long Island and graduated in 1943.
Furthermore, he studied at the Tarleton Agricultural College (now Tarleton State University) in Stephenville, Texas.
- Father – George Harris Kennedy (Musician, Orchestra Leader)
- Mother – Helen A. Kieselbach (Ballet Dancer)
At the time of his death, George Kennedy’s net worth was $5 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
94 kg or 207 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
George Kennedy had dated –
- Dorothy Gillooly – In the 1940s, he wed Dorothy Gillooly and the couple went their separate ways sometime in the 1950s.
- Norma Wurman (1959-1971; 1973-1978) – The Cool Hand Luke (1967) actor got married to Norma Wurman (who was also known as Revel Wurman) in 1959. The couple welcomed a son named Christopher Kennedy and a daughter named Karianna Kennedy before getting divorced in 1971. Moreover, the couple gave marriage a second chance by tying the knot again in 1973. However, it was not meant to be as they got divorced again in 1978.
- Joan Castagna (1978-2015) – The same year that his divorce was finalized, George married Joan Castagna. Their marriage lasted from 1978 until September 2015, when Joan sadly passed away. Together, the couple had raised 3 adopted children, including Shannon Kennedy and Shaunna Kennedy.
Race / Ethnicity
He had Irish, German, and English ancestry.
However, his hair had turned ‘Gray’ by the time of his death.
- Tall stature
- He frequently played bad guys onscreen.
George Kennedy Facts
- He was a huge admirer of Japanese culture and appeared in 2 highly-successful Japanese films: Proof of the Man (1977) and Virus (1980).
- George was considered for the role of Lex Luthor in Superman (1978), but it ultimately went to Gene Hackman.
- His death came 9 days before his Cool Hand Luke (1967) co-star Richard Davalos, who passed away on March 8, 2016.
- In his whole career, George starred in only 1 ‘Best Picture’ Oscar-nominated film: Airport (1970).
- He served under General George S. Patton while fighting in World War II. Several decades later, he got the opportunity to portray Patton in the suspense war film, Brass Target (1978).
- He was frequently seen playing bullies and thugs against Hollywood’s leading men including Paul Newman, Cary Grant, and Clint Eastwood. However, contrary to his onscreen persona, Kennedy was widely regarded as one of the nicest actors in Hollywood.
Featured Image by CBS Television / Wikimedia / Public Domain