|Gita Gopinath Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||December 8, 1971|
|Spouse||Iqbal Singh Dhaliwal|
Gita Gopinath is an Indian-American economist who came into prominence after she became the first deputy managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) on January 21, 2022. She also served as the chief economist of the IMF between 2019 and 2022. Gopinath is the recipient of many accolades such as being awarded the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman by the President of India in 2019, and getting named as one of the “25 Most Influential Women of the Year” by Financial Times, in 2021.
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Gita went to Nirmala Convent School in Mysore. After school, she enrolled in the Mahajana PU college in Mysuru, and started studying Science. Later, although her marks had been good enough for Engineering and Medicine, she made up her mind to do a BA (Hons) in Economics.
Gita acquired a B.A. degree from Lady Shri Ram College for Women of the University of Delhi in 1992 and an M.A. degree too, in Economics from Delhi School of Economics, which is also of the University of Delhi, in 1994. She topped Delhi University and created a flutter by winning the gold medal, as it was the first time that LSR beat St Stephen’s, by only two marks.
Gita then completed an M.A. degree at the University of Washington in 1996. She attained her Ph.D. in Economics from Princeton University in 2001 following her completion of a doctoral dissertation titled Three essays on international capital flows: a search theoretic approach. She received the Princeton’s Woodrow Wilson Fellowship Research Award while she was doing her doctoral research at Princeton University.
- Father – T.V. Gopinath (Head of the farmers’ collective Raita Mitra)
- Mother – V.C. Vijayalakshmi (Owner of a Playhouse)
- Siblings – She has an older sister.
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
She has dated –
- Iqbal Singh Dhaliwal – She is married to Iqbal Singh Dhaliwal, who was her classmate in the Delhi School of Economics. The pair together has a son named Rahil (b. 2002).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Malayali descent.
- Expressive eyes
- Sharp nose
- High cheekbones
- Mole on her nose
Gita Gopinath Favorite Things
- Mission – To make the world a better place
- Snack – Gol Gappa/Pani Puri having kicked off the year 2022 by indulging in it
Gita Gopinath Facts
- She grew up in Mysuru in Karnataka.
- She has been a naturalized American citizen and an overseas citizen of India.
- Gita has recalled having scored only 45 per cent till class seven, after which she began scoring 90 per cent. Her parents would never ask her to study and had never put any restrictions on her. Her friends would come to her house and stay over to study and play. Till SSLC, both she and her sibling would go to bed by 7:30 pm and wake up very early.
- While growing up, she enjoyed sports, had taken lessons in guitar and had also taken part in fashion shows. However, she gave up all her interests in order to focus on studies.
- Gita has been the 2nd Indian, after former RBI governor Raghuram Rajan, to hold the position of the chief economist of the IMF.
- Gopinath has stated that she has found her most-relished Gol Gappa far tastier when made by street vendors compared to when she has eaten them in restaurants.
Featured Image by Gita Gopinath / Instagram