|Gloria Estefan Quick Info|
|Height||4 ft 10¾ in|
|Date of Birth||September 1, 1957|
|Spouse||Emilio Estefan Jr|
Gloria Estefan is a Cuban-American singer, businesswoman, actress, and songwriter. Her vocal range is the contralto and she is well known for being the lead vocalist in the band Miami Latin Boys. She met Emilio Estefan, the owner of the band in 1975. He then invited her to join after seeing her perform at a wedding where she did an impromptu performance. It was after she joined them that the band name was changed to Miami Sound Machine. After joining the band, Gloria became well known for her song Conga in 1985. This made the band experience a worldwide success.
Gloria Estefan had an accident in 1990 which was supposed to end her music career, but instead, she made her comeback and even pushed herself to the top of the industry. Three years after the incident, she won her first Grammy award. She has sold more than 115 million records worldwide and has received several nominations and awards for her brilliant performance. She has received awards such as Grammy Awards, a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and Las Vegas Walk of Fame, and also a Presidential Medal of Freedom which she received in 2015 for all her contributions to American music. She’s one of Billboard‘s “Top 10 Greatest Artists of All Time”, and also on VH1’s top “100 Greatest Artists of All Time”.
Gloria María Milagrosa Fajardo
Star Island, Miami, Florida, United States
Gloria Estefan attended St. Michael-Archangel School and Our Lady of Lourdes Academy in Miami. She obtained her bachelor’s degree from the University of Miami in Miami.
Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Businesswoman
- Father – Jose Fajardo (Soldier, Motor Escort)
- Mother – Gloria García
- Siblings – Rebecca (Sister)
- Others – Leonardo García (Maternal Grandfather), Consuelo Perez (Maternal Grandmother), José Manuel Fajardo González (Paternal Grandfather), Amelia Montano (Paternal Grandmother) (Poet), Sasha Argento Estefan (Grandson), Lara Coppola (Daughter-in-Law)
Gloria Estefan is managed by Creative Artists Agency (Talent Agency), Los Angeles, California.
Latin Pop, Dance
- Epic Records
- Burgundy Records
- Crescent Moon
- Verve Forecast Records
- Sony Masterworks
4 ft 10¾ in or 149 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Gloria Estefan has dated –
- Emilio Estefan, Jr. (1976-Present) – In 1976, Gloria Estefan became romantically involved with Miami Sound Machine’s band leader, Emilio Estefan. They were married later in September 1978. She claims that her husband is the only boyfriend she has ever had. They have 2 children together – son Nayib Estefan (b. 1980) and daughter Emily Marie Estefan (b. 1994).
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Hispanic)
She is of Cuban, Spanish, and American descent.
- Long hair
- Wide smile
Best Known For
- Being the lead singer in the group Miami Latin Boys, which was later known as Miami Sound Machine
- Winning numerous Grammy Awards and receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Las Vegas Walk of Fame
Gloria Estefan released her first album with Mimi Sound Machine Live Again/Renacer early in 1977. The album was released with 2 different covers on the Audiofon label, RCA Victor label, and Miami Sound Machine’s own label MSM Records.
Gloria Estefan made her theatrical film debut as Isabel in the movie Music of the Heart in 1999.
First TV Show
She made her first TV show appearance as Herself on Roots of Rhythm in 1984.
Gloria Estefan Facts
- She worked as a language translator at Miami International Airport Customs Department while she was in the University because she was fluent in Spanish, English, and French. She was also invited by the CIA as a potential employee.
- While touring in 1990, Gloria was involved in an accident involving the tour bus. She was critically injured and suffered a fractured spine when a truck crashed into their tour bus. Gloria had 2 titanium rods implanted to stabilize her vertebral column. She returned to touring internationally less than a year after the accident after undergoing intensive therapy sessions.
- Her son, Nayib Estefan is a film major from the University of California, Los Angeles. He is the owner of the Nite Owl Theater.
- Gloria donated $1 million to the paralysis project in Miami in 2006. This is probably due to the fact that she has once been involved in a situation that could have made her paralyzed.
- Her daughter, Emily Estefan is a recording artist.
- Gloria’s father was a Vietnam soldier and died due to what they suspected as exposure to Agent Orange.
- Before Gloria Estefan became very famous, she filmed a commercial with her husband, Emilio Estefan Jr., for the Winn-Dixie supermarket chain.
- In 2008, Gloria Estefan opened a new hotel named Costa d’Este on the barrier island of Vero Beach.
- In 2008, she became a part owner of the restaurant, Larios on the Beach in Miami Beach.
- Gloria has performed several times at The Olympics.
- She was ranked #81 on the VH1’s “100 Greatest Women of Rock N Roll” list.
- Gloria got one of her first appearances on television through a friend, the actress and singer Iris Chacon, on the show she was organizing, El show de Iris Chacon.
- She was the lead singer for the band, Miami Sound Machine and sometime later, the band name got changed to Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine.
- She became a solo artist in 1989 after the group name was dropped.
- In 2008, Gloria Estefan appeared in the 7th season of American Idol where she performed her song, Get on Your Feet with Sheila E. Because of the music video of this song, Sheila became the headliner of the MGM Grand at Foxwoods Resort Casino.
- In 2007, Gloria Estefan began hosting a series on BBC’s Radio 2 in the United Kingdom titled Gloria Estefan’s Latin Beat which explores Latin music history.
- In November 2020, she had been tested positive for coronavirus, and by December, she had recovered from the virus.
- In August 2021, she sold her 8,000 square feet home on Miami’s Star Island for $35 million. Gloria and her husband Emilio had initially purchased the property in 1993 for $1.8 million.
- In September 2021, during an episode of her online talk show, Red Table Talk: The Estefans, Gloria revealed that she was s*xually abused by a family member when she was 9 years old.
Featured Image by The Heart Truth / Flickr / Public Domain