|Greg Louganis Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||January 29, 1960|
Greg Louganis is an American former Olympic diver, LGBT activist, and author who is widely acknowledged as the greatest diver in American history and one of the greatest divers of all time. As of June 2021, he was the only male diver, and just the second diver overall, to have swept the diving events in successive Olympic Games.
Gregory Efthimios Louganis
El Cajon, San Diego County, California, United States
Beverly Hills, Los Angeles County, California, United States
Greg had attended the Santa Ana High School in Santa Ana, California, the Valhalla High School in El Cajon, California, and the Mission Viejo High School in Mission Viejo, California.
In 1978, he had joined the University of Miami, where he had majored in drama. In 1981, he had taken a transfer to the University of California, Irvine, from where he had graduated with a major in theatre and a minor in dance, in 1983.
Olympic Diver (Retired), LGBT Activist, Author
- Father – Fouvale Lutu
- Others – Frances Louganis (Adoptive Mother), Peter Louganis (Adoptive Father)
Diving: 1m, 3m, 10m
In 2020, Greg Louganis’s net worth was $1 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Greg has dated –
- R. James Jim Babbitt (1983-1989) – Greg had started dating his manager R. James ‘Jim’ Babbitt in 1983. Greg would later describe the relationship as abusive, explaining that Jim had tried to r*pe him at gunpoint in 1983. He would also go on to explain that Jim had robbed him of nearly 80% of his earnings during the relationship. 6 months before the start of the 1988 Olympics, he was diagnosed with HIV which he had contracted from Jim. This had forced his doctor to place him on the antiretroviral drug AZT, which he had to take every 4 hours round-the-clock. He had obtained a restraining order against Jim in 1989, ending the relationship. Jim died of AIDS in 1990 and Greg had become so paranoid due to this that he had thrown a ‘final birthday party’ for his family and friends in 1993 fearing that he too would die soon due to HIV.
- Johnny Chaillot (2013-2021) – Greg had announced his engagement to paralegal Johnny Chaillot in June 2013 and the couple got married on October 12, 2013. They had mutually agreed to end the marriage in June 2021.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Mixed and White)
He is of Samoan (Polynesian) descent on his father’s side and English, Irish, and German descent on his mother’s side.
- Toned physique
- Center-parted, wavy hair
- Clean-shaven look
Greg Louganis Facts
- Greg’s biological parents, who were 15-year-old teenagers at the time of his birth, had given him up for adoption when he was 8 months old.
- In 1996, he had published his autobiography, titled Breaking the Surface. The book had spent 5 weeks at the number one position on The New York Times Best Seller list.
- 3 years later, he had co-written another book titled For the Life of Your Dog: A Complete Guide to Having a Dog From Adoption and Birth Through Sickness and Health.
- In June 2013, he was inducted into the ‘California Sports Hall of Fame’.
Featured Image by Greg Louganis / Instagram