|Hannah James Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||January 4, 1993|
Hannah James is an American actress, dancer, and producer, best known for her role of Emma Green in the history, drama TV series Mercy Street between 2016 and 2017. She has also appeared in 1-episode roles in TV series such as Outlander (2017) as Lady Geneva Dunsany and Supergirl (2019) as Maeve Nal. Hannah also made her short-film debut in the role of Beth in Winding Lane in 2014 and produced and starred in a short movie Esther in 2019 as Cora. In 2019, she also played the character of Emilia in the television movie titled Heart of Life.
Hannah Ainsley Vere Nicoll
Madison, Virginia, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Hannah was homeschooled until she turned 10, after which her mom enrolled her into an all-girls middle school Tandem Friends School in Charlottesville, Virginia, United States, and graduated in 2011.
Hannah also attended Orange School of Performing Arts in Orange, Virginia, United States. She then attended a Quaker school, based on religious beliefs, all the way to her senior year of high school. After graduation, she was accepted into several drama programs, both in the United States and the United Kingdom.
Hannah chose to attend the prestigious Guildford School of Acting in Guildford, Surrey, England, United Kingdom and studied there for 3 years. She got her bachelor of arts degree in acting in 2014.
Actress, Dancer, Producer
- Mother – Rachel Vere Nicoll
- Siblings – Emily Vere Nicoll (Sister) (Actress)
Hannah James is represented by –
- Troika (Talent Agent) in London, England, United Kingdom
- The Gersh Agency (Talent Agent) in Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Management 360 (Manager) in Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Imprint PR (Publicist) in Los Angeles, California, United States
- Gang, Tyre, Ramer, Brown & Passman (Legal Representative) in Beverly Hills, California, United States
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She is of American descent on her paternal side and of English descent on her maternal side.
She has also dyed her hair ‘Dark Brown’ and ‘Ombre’ with ‘Blonde’ hair ends.
Hannah James has endorsed brands such as CoreFlexPilates (2019).
She was also a long-time promoter of The Sophie Hayes Foundation that fights human trafficking, especially in females.
Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
Best Known For
- Her TV roles in Mercy Street (2016-2017) as Emma Green, Outlander (2017) as Lady Geneva Dunsany, and Supergirl (2019) as Maeve Nal
- Having a social media fanbase with more than 20k followers on Instagram and more than 10k followers on Twitter
First TV Show
Hannah James made her first TV show appearance as Emma Green in an episode titled The New Nurse of the drama series Mercy Street in January 2016.
Hannah was a gym regular in mid-2017. In 2019, she started doing Pilates, and after 3 classes, she reported “her body hated her” but that she was reformed and happier than ever.
Hannah James Favorite Things
- Idols – Judi Dench, Maggie Smith
- Animals – Dog, Horse
- Hobbies – Reading, Hiking, Sunbathing
- Cheat Meal – Ice Cream
- Smoothie Recipe – Celery, Cucumber, Pear Juice
Hannah James Facts
- She was raised in Radiant, Virginia, United States, on a rural farm.
- Hannah began taking dancing lessons at the age of 2. Up until the age of 18, she studied ballet dancing and then made the decision to move into acting as a profession. The breaking point was the realization that due to intense physical requirements and reoccurring injuries, dancers have a short career.
- Growing up, her mom would invent or re-tell lots of different stories, which was her way of teaching, as Hannah was homeschooled. She also taught her that learning was the road to self-discovery and exploration.
- She landed her 1st acting role at the age of 5. Hannah played a fairy in the well-known play A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
- She moved from London, England, United Kingdom to Los Angeles, California, United States in 2015.
- Only 3 months after she arrived in Los Angeles, Hannah booked her 1st role, of Emma Green in the pilot of Mercy Street (2016-2017). Ironically, the series was filmed in Richmond, Virginia, and the set was 1 and a half hours away from her home. She would go home on weekends and also bring some of her cast members.
- Her character, Emma Green, was based on a historical figure. Furthermore, many newspapers from Virginia, United States praised the casting decision to have a Virginian-born actress play the character based on a person from Virginia.
- For her role of Emma she often had to wear tight dresses and especially corsets to accentuate the waist and depict the fashion of that time period. On one long day on set, Hannah almost fainted.
- Before she appeared in 1 episode of the TV series Outlander (2017), Hannah read the books and was a fan of the show. One of the executive producers predicted she would become a fan favorite.
- She already knew how to ride horses, but went through the training again to re-learn the skill for Outlander.
- Hannah filmed her 1st ever s*x scene in Outlander. She was nervous and reluctant for the first 10 minutes, but then jumped in and let the male actor lead the way whenever she felt nervous. Fans were also upset and wondering whether that scene involved involuntary intercourse. Diana Gabaldon, the author of the books the TV series was based on, went to Twitter to clarify that the scene portrayed a consensual s*xual intercourse.
- She adopted a new puppy in July 2017.
- Hannah is a big fan of libraries in the form of small treasure chests on the street, available to readers in the community for free. She uses every chance to put books she’s already read, and exchange them for the new ones she hasn’t.
- Follow her on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured Image by Hannah James / Instagram