|Maggie Smith Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||December 28, 1934|
Maggie Smith is a British actress who has had an illustrious career over the course of which she has appeared in more than 60 movies and more than 70 plays. She is widely considered as one of the greatest actresses of her era having won 2 Academy Awards, a Tony Award, 4 Primetime Emmy Awards, 3 Golden Globe Awards, 5 SAG (Screen Actors Guild) Awards, 5 BAFTA Film Awards, and The Laurence Olivier Award for ‘Society of London Theatre Special Award’ in 2010. She was made a ‘Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire’ (DBE) in the 1990 New Year Honours by Queen Elizabeth II, for her contribution to performing arts; and a ‘Companion of Honour’ in 2014 for her services to drama.
Margaret Natalie Smith
Ilford, Redbridge, London, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Maggie had attended the Oxford High School but had dropped out at the age of 16 to learn acting at the Oxford Playhouse, an independent theatre.
- Father – Nathaniel Smith (Public Health Pathologist) (d. 1991)
- Mother – Margaret Hutton-Smith (née Little) (Secretary) (d. 1977)
- Siblings – Alistair Smith (Older Brother) (d. 1981), Ian Smith (Older Brother) (Architect)
- Others – Anna-Louise Plowman (Daughter-in-Law) (Actress), Lucy Dilon (Step-Daughter), Michael Stephens (Step-Son), Suki Stephens (Daughter-in-Law), Henry Smith (Paternal Grandfather), Kate Gregory (Paternal Grandmother), William Hutton (Maternal Grandfather), Martha Little (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Maggie has dated –
- Robert Stephens (1966-1975) – Maggie had started dating the late British actor Robert Stephens in 1966 and they got married on June 29, 1967. They had 2 sons together named Toby Stephens (b. April 21, 1969) (Actor) and Chris Larkin (b. June 19, 1967) (Actor). After nearly 8 years of marriage, the couple had got divorced in April 1975. Through Toby, she has 2 granddaughters named Kura Stephens (b. 2010) and Tallulah Stephens (b. 2009), and a grandson named Eli Alistair Stephens (b. 2007). Through Chris, she has a grandson named Nathaniel Stephens (b. 2008) and a granddaughter named Daisy Grace Stephens (b. 2006).
- Beverley Cross (1974-1998) – Maggie began dating British playwright and screenwriter Beverley Cross in 1974 and they were married on June 23, 1975. They were together until his death on March 20, 1998.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Scottish descent on her mother’s side and English descent on her father’s side.
- Petite frame
- Center-parted, neck-length hair
- Affable smile
Maggie has been featured in the TV commercials for –
- UBS (Union Bank of Switzerland)
- Maxwell House coffee
Maggie Smith Facts
- She was diagnosed with Graves’ disease in 1988 for which she had undergone radiotherapy and optical surgery.
- When she won the ‘Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Special’ award, at the 2003 Primetime Emmy Awards, for her work in the TV movie My House in Umbria, she had become just the 9th actress to have achieved the coveted ‘Triple Crown of Acting’.
- As of August 2020, she was one among just 7 actresses to have won an Academy Award in the category of ‘Best Actress’ as well as ‘Best Supporting Actress’.
- As of August 2020, for her work in London-based stage plays, she had held the record of winning 6 ‘Best Actress’ Evening Standard Awards.
Featured Image by Maggie Smith / Instagram