|Harpal Singh Sokhi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Year of Birth||1966|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Harpal Singh Sokhi is an Indian chef, restaurateur, and TV personality who started his career in the late 1980s as a trainee cook at The Oberoi (an Indian group of luxury hotels) in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India. He had become an executive chef by the time he turned 27. Over the next decade or so, he served several establishments across India including Centaur Hotel in Mumbai, Hotel Tuli International (1994–1998) in Nagpur, Maharashtra, The Regent (1998–2001) in Mumbai, Taj Lands End in Mumbai, and Blue Cilantro in Mumbai. He launched his restaurant chain called The Punjabi Tadka in 2013. Harpal is also the owner, co-founder, and director of a company called Turban Tadka Hospitality. He runs a very popular YouTube channel titled chefharpalsingh where he shares his recipes and provides cooking masterclasses. The channel has amassed more than 950 k subscribers.
Harpal Singh Sokhi
The Energy Chef of India
Harpal Singh Sokhi was born in the year 1966.
Kharagpur, Paschim Medinipur, West Bengal, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Harpal had attended the South Eastern Railway Mixed Higher Secondary School in his hometown of Kharagpur.
After his high school graduation in 1984, he joined the Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology, and Applied Nutrition, Bhubaneswar (IHM Bhubaneswar) in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, one of the 21 central IHMs set up by the Ministry of Tourism, Govt. of India. He had graduated from there in 1987 with a diploma in hotel management & catering.
Chef, Restaurateur, TV Personality
- Father – S. Darshan Singh Sokhi (Former Employee of the Indian Railways, a statutory body that operates India’s national railway system)
- Mother – Manjit Kaur
- Siblings – He has 2 older sisters and a brother.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Harpal has dated –
- Aparna Sokhi (1996-Present) – Harpal and Aparna got married in October 1996 and they have 2 daughters together named Anushka and Antra.
Race / Ethnicity
- Mildly stocky frame
- Often sports a multi-colored turban
- Cheerful smile
- Sports a thick beard
Harpal Singh Sokhi Facts
- Harpal’s love for cooking was inspired by his mother’s passion for food and his brother who used to cook food at a langar (the community kitchen of a Gurdwara).
- In his youth, he had also developed an interest in joining the Indian Air Force. However, by the time he decided to apply, he had crossed the maximum age limit. He eventually joined a hotel management course in 1984.
- He has hosted/co-hosted multiple popular cooking/travel-based TV shows including Khana Khazana, Harpal ki Rasoi, Turban Tadka, Kitchen Khiladi, Sirf Tees Minute, and Desh da Swaad.
- In 1998, he conceptualized and launched an Indian specialty restaurant called Khazana in Dubai.
- He executed the business class menus for Singapore Airlines (the flag carrier airline of Singapore) for 7 years. He has also developed menus for SOTC Travel (a Mumbai-based travel and tourism company) and Wockhardt Hospitals (a super-specialty healthcare network in India).
- He has also taught, as a guest faculty member, at the N. L. Dalmia Institute of Management Studies and Research, a business school in Mumbai.
- A polyglot, he is fluent in English, Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali, Odia, and Telugu.
Featured Image by Harpal Singh Sokhi / Instagram