|Hideo Kojima Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||August 24, 1963|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Hideo Kojima is a Japanese video game designer, writer, producer, and director, who’s well-known for designing and writing Metal Gear (1987) for the MSX2, which appears to be his most admired project of all time. His big break came into view shortly after he was hired by the Japanese entertainment and gambling conglomerate Konami in which he designed and wrote for Metal Gear, a type of action-adventure stealth video game that established the beginning of stealth games and the Metal Gear series from the ground up.
Setagaya, Tokyo, Japan
Video Game Designer, Director, Producer, Writer
- Siblings – He has 2 siblings.
He is represented by Konami Digital Entertainment Co. Ltd., Company, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Small Lips
- Snub Nose
Hideo Kojima Favorite Things
- Film Director – Roland Emmerich
Source – Game Skinny
Hideo Kojima Facts
- His father died when he was only 13 years old.
- He dreamed to become an artist, filmmaker, and illustrator but lost confidence because of the pressure brought by social norms and also seeing failure as an example from his uncle who was also an artist but struggled to make a living.
- Back in the time when he was studying economics, he would find himself writing short stories in his spare time, some of which were submitted to various magazines. Despite his efforts, none of them were published. Kojima cited that his stories were often 400 pages long but most magazines would only want stories to be around 100 pages.
- He began making films with his friend who had an 8mm camera. It was during this time that he started shaping his creativity by first focusing on making films with just whatever resources they had on the table.
- He has acknowledged Shigeru Miyamoto’s Super Mario Bros. (1985) and Yuji Horii’s The Portopia Serial Murder Case (1983) as the games that inspired him to pursue his dream and to enter the industry of video games.
- Kojima’s literary influences were Kōbō Abe, Ryu Murakami, Yukio Mishima, Kazuaki Takano, Project Itoh, Yasutaka Tsutsui, Seicho Matsumoto, Richard Levinson, William Link, and Paul Auster.
- Impressed by his works, he has become an influence to many actors and auteurs in the film industry. Hollywood stars Mads Mikkelsen and Léa Seydoux, and celebrated director Guillermo del Toro are some of his biggest fans.
- He was named as one of the “Top 10 People of 2002” by Newsweek.
- In 2008, he was ranked 7th in the list of “Hot 100 Developers 2008” by Next-Gen.
- In 2009, he was placed 6th in the list of “Top Game Creators of All Time” by IGN.
- During the 2014 National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers, he was credited for Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes‘ nomination under the category, “Game, Franchise Adventure”.
- In February 2016, he received the AIAS Hall of Fame Award during the 19th Annual D.I.C.E Awards. In December 2016, he attended The Game Awards 2016 and received the Industry Icon Award.
- On October 12, 2017, he was given the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Brasil Game Show.
- He is friends with the Wachowski Siblings.
- Kojima has a solid social media fan base with his Instagram garnering more than 1.5 million followers and his Twitter with more than 3 million followers.
Featured Image by Sergey Galyonkin / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0