|Hong Chau Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||June 25, 1979|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Hong Chau is an American actor, voice artist, theatre actor, and writer who gained critical acclaim for her performance in the 2022 psychological drama film The Whale. She is also known for her playing Linh in the HBO drama series Treme, Lora in the NBC romantic comedy series A to Z, Audrey Temple in the Amazon Prime Video psychological thriller series Homecoming, Diane Farr in the Netflix action thriller series The Night Agent, Lady Trieu in the superhero drama limited series Watchmen, Spc. Wing in the science fiction web series Trenches, and Jackie in the HBO drama series Big Little Lies.
Hong Chau studied at Eleanor McMain Secondary School and Benjamin Franklin High School located in New Orleans, Louisiana. She also attended Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts (LSMSA) in Natchitoches, Louisiana.
She received Pell Grants and attended Boston University in Boston, Massachusetts. She initially studied creative writing but then changed her major to film studies after her parents requested that she study something more practical. She also took public speaking classes in order to overcome her introversion.
Actor, Voice Artist, Theatre Actor, Writer
- Siblings – She has 2 older brothers.
Hong Chau has been repped by ICM Partners, Artistic and Literary Representation Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States.
5 ft 1 in or 155 cm
52 kg or 114.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Note – Hong Chau gave birth to a daughter in November 2020.
Race / Ethnicity
Hong Chau is of Vietnamese descent.
Hong Chau Facts
- Prior to her birth, her parents and 2 brothers lived in Vietnam and the family was among the Vietnamese boat people who fled their country in 1979. At that time, her mother was 6 months pregnant with Hong Chau.
- She was born in a refugee camp in Thailand.
- During the family’s escape, her father was shot and he nearly bled to death. Chau has said, “My mom always points to the silver lining. She’ll say, ‘Because your dad was so bloody, the pirates didn’t check his pockets. So we still had some money at the camp to buy you baby formula.'”
- It was a Vietnamese Catholic church in New Orleans, Louisiana in the United States that arranged for a local Vietnamese family to sponsor Chau’s family.
- Hong Chau was raised in New Orleans, Louisiana and her family lived in government housing and used subsidized lunch programs.
- In order to ensure that their children could attend college, Chau’s parents worked as dishwashers and then ran a convenience store. They were shunned as Asian migrants and she once said, “My whole life, I’ve always felt like I was the more acceptable of my parents, and they were always the people who had to stay in the background, or hide in the broom closet.”
- Growing up, she spoke Vietnamese as her first language and then learned English at school.
- She was cast as Jenny in an Off-Broadway production of John in 2015.
- Alongside Matt Damon, Christoph Waltz, and Kristen Wiig, Hong Chau co-starred as Ngoc Lan Tran (a Vietnamese activist who was shrunk by her government against her will and befriends Paul after she winds up in Leisureland) in the 2017 science fiction comedy-drama film Downsizing. This role won her the Santa Barbara International Film Festival Virtuosos Award while she was also nominated for a Critics’ Choice Movie Award for “Best Supporting Actress” and Golden Globe Award for “Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture”.
- She has a Rottweiler-Australian Shepherd mix pet dog.
- Hong Chau brought to life the character of Liz (a nurse who is Charlie’s only friend) in the 2022 psychological drama film The Whale.
- She has said, “If anyone has to leave their homeland by boat, they all have difficult stories.”
Featured Image by Sidewalks Entertainment / Vimeo / CC BY 3.0