|Igor Akinfeev Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||April 8, 1986|
Igor Akinfeev is a Russian professional soccer player known for having played under popular football clubs like CSKA Moscow and Russia National Team. He has done endorsement work for numerous brands like Nike. Igor has more than 150 clean sheets in the Russian National League.
Igor Vladimirovich Akinfeev
Vidnoye, Soviet Union
At the age of 4, Igor Akinfeev joined the Sports School of CSKA.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Vladimir Akinfeev
- Mother – Irina Akinfeeva
- Siblings – Yevgeny Akinfeev (Brother)
35 – CSKA Moscow
1 – Russia National Team
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 m
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Igor Akinfeev has dated –
- Ekaterina Gerun – Akinfeev is married to model and dancer, Ekaterina Gerun. They had been dating for quite some time before they decided to get married. In 2014, she gave birth to their first child. Overall, they are the parents to 2 young children – a boy named Daniil and a daughter named Evangeline.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Russian ancestry.
Igor Akinfeev has inked an endorsement deal with the sportswear giant, Nike. He is often seen wearing Nike cleats during CSKA Moscow and Russian National Team’s matches.
His religious views aren’t known publicly.
Best Known For
- Being CSKA Moscow‘s first choice goalkeeper
- Having played for the Russian National Team for more than 100 matches
First Soccer Match
In 2003, he made his professional debut for CSKA Moscow in a match against FC Krylia Sovetov Samara. He kept a clean sheet and even saved a penalty in his side’s 2-0 victory. He was 16 years old at the time of his debut.
In April 2004, he made his first competitive start for the Russian National Team in a friendly match against Norway.
- Quick Reflexes
- Aerial Ability
- Command of the penalty area
- Precision of goal kicks
He doesn’t have any apparent weaknesses in his game.
He hasn’t been cast in any theatrical film yet.
First TV Show
Apart from the broadcast of his football matches, Igor Akinfeev made his first TV show appearance on the Russian talk show, Evening Urgant (originally titled as Vecherniy Urgant) in 2014.
His workout routine and diet plan aren’t known.
Igor Akinfeev Favorite Things
His favorite things aren’t known.
Igor Akinfeev Facts
- By the time he turned 17, he had become a mainstay of CSKA Moscow side (2003). He even managed to win the Russian Premier League title in the same season. It was also his side’s first title since the new league was established in 2002.
- In 2005, he was a member of the CSKA Team that went on to defeat Sporting CP in the final match of the UEFA Cup.
- After he led his team to another league title and a Russian cup competition, he was given the Zvezda trophy, which is reserved for year’s best football player from the former Soviet Union.
- In May 2007, he suffered a serious knee injury, which ruled him out for the rest of the season.
- In 2012-13, he turned in great performances as CSKA Moscow won their first Russian Premier League title in the space of 7 years. He was declared “Russian Footballer of the Year” in recognition of his contributions.
- In February 2014, he signed a new contract with CSKA Moscow that extended his stay with the club until the summer of 2019.
- He holds the distinction of being the first Russian goalkeeper to have managed to keep more than 150 clean sheets in the Russian National League.
- Igor also owns the record for most clean sheets in all the matches. He has crossed the 240 clean sheets milestone, whereas the previous record was of 229 clean sheets, which was held by Rinat Dasayev.
- In March 2015, he was hit in the head by a flare thrown from the crowd during Russia’s 2016 Euro Qualifier match against Montenegro hosted in their capital city Podgorica. He was taken to the hospital with light burns and neck injury.
- In June 2018, he played an important role in his side’s victory over Spain in the Round of 16. He saved 2 penalties in the shootout and was recognized as “Man of the Match”.
- When he started his career, he was regularly compared with the former Russian legend Lev Yashin.
- In the final group stage match of 2014 FIFA World Cup, he was unable to save Islam Slimani’s free kick, which helped Algerian National Team to progress to the last 16 at the expense of Russia.
- After the match, it was later revealed that a green laser was shone in Akinfeev’s face as he was preparing to save Algeria’s equalizing free kick.
- He doesn’t have any social media account.
Featured Image by Novikova Julia / Soccer.ru / CC BY-SA 3.0