|Ilia Topuria Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||January 21, 1997|
Ilia Topuria is a Georgian-Spanish professional mixed martial artist who began competing in the featherweight and lightweight divisions of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), in October 2020. As of April 2022, he had amassed a 4-0 win-loss record in the promotion. As of March of 2022, he was ranked number 15 in the UFC featherweight rankings. Before joining UFC in October 2020, he had put together an undefeated winning streak of 8–0 and was unbeaten in more than 4 years of competing in countries such as Spain, Finland, Belgium, Colombia, and Bahrain. During this time, he had competed in promotions such as West Coast Warriors, Climent Show MMA, Mix Fight Events (MFE), CAGE, Cage Warriors, and Brave CF. In November 2016, he had clinched the vacant MFE Featherweight Championship. He holds a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Halle, Gütersloh, Detmold, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Alicante, Valencian Community, Spain
He holds dual nationality.
Professional Mixed Martial Artist
- Father – Zaza Topuria (Businessman)
- Mother – InGa Bendeliani Topuria
- Siblings – Aleksandre ‘Alex’ Topuria (Brother) (Mixed Martial Artist), Mari Tlashadze (Sister), Ana Tlashadze (Sister)
Lightweight, Featherweight, Bantamweight
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ilia has dated –
- Salome Kereselidze (2020-Present)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Georgian descent.
- Toned physique
- Side-cropped, side-parted hair
- Sports a thick beard
- Has his entire upper chest and left hand covered in tattoos
Ilia Topuria Facts
- Born in Germany to Georgian parents, Ilia and his family returned to their native Georgia when he was 7 years old. He used to practice Greco-Roman wrestling at school.
- When he was 15 years old, he had shifted to Alicante, Spain. It was there that he started practicing martial arts. His progress was rapid and in about 3 years, in April 2015, he made his professional mixed martial arts debut.
- Ilia’s first 4 professional fights, all in Spain, all in the featherweight division, were victories via submission – triangle choke, rear-naked choke, rear-naked choke, and guillotine choke, respectively.
- His next bout, his first professional bout outside of Spain, was also his bantamweight debut. It was another win by submission (guillotine choke).
- His 6th professional bout, in Belgium, was for the vacant Cage Warriors Bantamweight Championship. Although he won the bout in the 1st round, via technical Submission (anaconda choke), he was ineligible to lift the title as he had missed the agreed weight (139.4 lb).
- Consequently, he had returned to the featherweight division for his next bout, in September 2019. A submission win (triangle straight armbar) in the 1st round had extended his perfect professional career win-loss record to 7-0.
- In May 2018, he had become the first Georgian black belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu alongside his brother Alex.
- In January 2022, he was scheduled to fight Movsar Evloev at UFC 270. Movsar, however, had withdrawn for undisclosed reasons and was replaced by Charles Jourdain. Ilia was then withdrawn from the card due to a medical issue related to cutting weight and the bout was canceled.
- In March 2022, at UFC Fight Night 204, he had suffered a knockdown from a head kick in the 1st round but had recovered impressively to win the fight via knockout in the 2nd round.
- The win had earned him a ‘Performance of the Night’ award, the first UFC Bonus Award of his career. The bout was also the lightweight debut of his career having previously competed in the featherweight and bantamweight divisions.
Featured Image by Ilia Topuria / Instagram