|J.I. Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||September 23, 2001|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
J.I. is an American rapper, singer, and songwriter who has released mixtapes like Hood Life Krisis, Vol. 1 (September 2019), Hood Life Krisis, Vol. 2 (December 2019), Young & Restless. Vol. 1 Baby Don (June 2022), and One Way or Another (February 2023). He has also published some extended plays titled Barely Famous (April 2017), Welcome to GStarr Vol. 1 (July 2020), and Hood Life Krisis, Vol. 3 (December 2020).
Justin Irvin Rivera
J.I. (also stylized as J.I the Prince of N.Y), The Don
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
New York, United States
Rapper, Singer, Songwriter
- Siblings – Nia (Sister). He also has 2 brothers.
Hip Hop, Rap, Trap, R&B, Brooklyn Drill, Reggaeton
- Interscope Records
- Geffen Records
- G*Starr Entertainment
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
J.I. has dated –
- DanielleDaDoll (2020-2022) – Rumor
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Puerto Rican descent.
- Slender frame
- Close-cropped, afro hairstyle
- Sports a thin mustache
- Often wears ear studs
- Has both his hands and his upper chest covered in tattoos
- Distinctive New York accent
- J.I. was introduced to musical genres like hip-hop and reggaeton by his parents at a very young age. He soon started making beats on a tiny keyboard.
- He also used to write short stories during his school days and this skill helped him tremendously when he started writing raps. In middle school, he would then freestyle these raps with his brothers.
- In 2016, he participated in the 2nd season of The Rap Game, an American singing-based competitive reality TV series. J.I. had secured his place on the show after its host – American rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer/executive, entrepreneur, and DJ Jermaine Dupri – had found and liked his freestyles on Instagram.
- Although he did not win the competition, J.I. earned a substantial online following due to the show. He managed to release his debut single, titled No Static, soon after.
- Between mid-2017 and mid-2019 though, he lost his way a bit. He stopped focusing on his music career and blew all of his earnings from The Rap Game on recreational drugs.
- He was kicked out of his mother’s house as well and was even considering giving up music completely to take up a job in the construction business. It was around this time that he was motivated and convinced by a close friend and his future manager to give music one last shot in a bid to revive his career.
- In the latter half of 2019, J.I. released a single titled Need Me that managed to amass more than 3 million streams on Spotify (one of the largest music streaming service providers in the world) by November 2019.
- The success of this song saw him being signed up by Interscope Records, a renowned American record label. On November 30, 2020, the track was certified ‘Gold’ by the RIAA (The Recording Industry Association of America – a trade organization that represents the music recording industry in the United States).
- It was J.I.’s first such career plaque. By 2022, Need Me had also become his most-watched music video on YouTube – with more than 115 million views.
- In January 2020, he set out on his first headlining national tour. He held the final shows of this tour in his hometown of New York where he became the first artist in history to sell out the legendary SOB’s (Sounds of Brazil – a live world music venue & restaurant in the Hudson Square neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City) on 3 consecutive nights.
- In July 2020, J.I. released a single titled Spanglish with Puerto Rican rapper Myke Towers – both artists mixed English and Spanish in their verses. Within the first 20 minutes of its release, the song amassed more than 1.3 million streams on Spotify.
- Just a few days before this, Spotify had announced a partnership with J.I. as a part of its recently launched ‘RADAR’ program that promotes world-class young talent through placement in its official playlists, a mini-documentary, 3rd-party partnerships, and support on the artist’s musical releases.
Featured Image by J.I. / Instagram