|James Van Der Beek Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||March 8, 1977|
|Spouse||Kimberly Van Der Beek|
James Van Der Beek is an American actor. He is best known for playing the role of Dawson Leery in Dawson’s Creek, which aired on WB Television Network. He has also made appearances in famous TV shows such as Criminal Minds, Ugly Betty, How I Met Your Mother, One Tree Hill, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, and Modern Family.
James David Van Der Beek
Baby James, Beek
Cheshire, Connecticut, United States
James attended Drew University planning to get a major in Engish and a minor in Sociology. However, he dropped out to pursue a career in acting.
- Father – James William Van Der Beek (Cellular Phone Company Executive, Former Professional Baseball Pitcher)
- Mother – Melinda (Former Dancer, Gymnastics Teacher)
- Siblings – Jared (Younger Brother), Juliana (Younger Sister)
- Others – Harry Clifford Vanderbeek /Van Der Beek (Paternal Grandfather), Louise Lutjens (Paternal Grandmother)
James is represented by Paradigm Talent Agency.
6 ft or 183 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
James has dated –
- Heather McComb – James married actress Heather McComb on July 5, 2003. The couple however separated in April 2009. James filed for divorce on November 20, 2009, which was finalized on March 31, 2010, and was enforced on June 3, 2010.
- Kimberly Van Der Beek – On August 1, 2010, James married a business consultant named Kimberly Brook. The couple tied the knot in an intimate ceremony at the Kabbalah Center near Dizengoff Plaza in Tel Aviv, Israel. They are proud parents to 5 children, 4 daughters – Olivia (b. September 25, 2010), Annabel (b. January 25, 2014), Emilia (b. March 23, 2016), and Gwendolyn (b. June 15, 2018), and a son, Joshua (b. March 13, 2012). In November 2019, she suffered a miscarriage, for what would have been the couple’s 6th child.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Dutch, German, and English ancestry.
James has done endorsement work for brands like HTC Phone.
Best Known For
Playing the role of Dawson Leery in the teen drama television series, Dawson’s Creek, which aired on WB Television Network
As a voice actor, James made his theatrical film debut in the English re-release version of the Japanese animated film, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, in 2003.
He made his theatrical film debut in the comedy movie, Angus, as Rick Sandford in 1995.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance in the teen sitcom, Clarissa Explains It All, as Paulie in 1993.
James likes to play football and basketball and also performs martial arts. As per an interview in 2016, his fitness trainer Nonna Gleyzer revealed that she tries to train him as an athlete because of his love for sports. As per Nonna, they do “each exercise 10 times slow and 10 times fast which helps his mind and body stay physiologically and neurologically connected on the football field”.
She has revealed that the main focus is on James’ upper body workout and they do the short box exercise on the reformer and chest expansion on the Cadillac. They also try to focus on his abdominals and include a lot of back, feet, and calves exercises so that he can run and move fast while also maintaining his balance.
His diet includes quinoa, veggie scrambles, eggs, Israeli salad and lots of green, organic vegetables. He also likes to eat steak once a week. Post-workout, he charges himself with L-Glutamine mixed with water.
James Van Der Beek Favorite Things
- Movie – The Shawshank Redemption
- Food – Quinoa and veggie scrambles, Eggs, Israeli salad
Source – IMDb, LivingHealthy.com
James Van Der Beek Facts
- James suffered from dyslexia in kindergarten due to which he had to learn reading in a special class.
- James used to play football in school until a concussion stopped him to play and he developed an interest in acting.
- He wanted to try his luck in professional acting since he was 15. So, he asked his mother to take him to New York.
- He made his professional off-Broadway debut at the age of 16.
- During the first season of Dawson’s Creek, he was roommates with Canadian actor Joshua Jackson.
- He was included in the People magazine’s ’50 most beautiful people in the world’ list in 1998.
- He enjoys watching football and baseball on the weekends.
- In his free time, he indulges in playing the guitar, sleeping, staying with his friends, and playing sports.
- His last name translates to ‘from the creek’ which is coincidently similar to his show, Dawson’s Creek.
- In September 2020, James publicly announced that he (with wife and all kids) was shifting his base from Los Angeles to Texas.
Featured Image by James Van Der Beek / Instagram